Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Exclamation Be Careful out there folks. Be sure of your target! Saskatchewan Hunting Fatality

A young man lost his life yesterday it appears. Shot by another hunter.

Please, be sure of what you're pulling the trigger on!

Saskatchewan RCMP are investigating the shooting death of a 23-year-old man who was hunting near Weirdale, Sask., on Saturday.

Just after 8 p.m. CST, RCMP were called to a rural field outside of the community, which is about 50 kilometres northeast of Prince Albert, Sask.

According to police, two men from Prince Albert, ages 22 and 23, were hunting separately but in the same area. They did not know each other.

A firearm was discharged and the 23-year-old was found dead with an apparent gunshot wound, police say.

The 22-year-old called police and stayed at the scene.

RCMP said the death is not considered suspicious at this time.

They are not releasing the name of the deceased.

The incident is currently being investigated by the RCMP.

The man's autopsy will be completed this week in Saskatoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/s...ting-1.4295194
Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM

So senseless. Having had two guns swung my direction in the past and hearing the countless stories on here of people being scoped, it's safe to conclude we're lucky it doesn't happen more.
I guarantee there's many on this forum and elsewhere who simply don't take the time to glass before they shoot. Please people, invest in a bino harness and use it! I couldn't imagine trying to hunt without binos employed constantly.
My prayers for the deceased family and even the poor guy who pulled the trigger. His life is ruined. Obviously it wasn't intentional, however it was very senseless. Makes me so angry that this stuff can be avoided yet so many people don't bother to take the precautions.
We're better than this
Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 AM

Sad stuff.

Is it not dark in Weirdale past 8pm? I have no idea, really; just wondering. In Peace, the sunset was at 7:59 yesterday, I believe.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:30 AM

Got my own answer:

Are their regs much different than ours?

Edit: Now I see that they were called just past 8PM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunset.jpg (14.0 KB, 1581 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Odd

Not sure why, but I have been scoped more in Sask. than anywhere else.
Many lives ruined by this, a shame for sure.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Very tragic, this poor mother lost her husband a few years ago to a drunk driver now her son, I cant imagine what they're going through.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Not sure why, but I have been scoped more in Sask. than anywhere else.
Many lives ruined by this, a shame for sure.
Oddly enough, wearing bright clothing, and being easily seen, seems to attract the idiots that scope people.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Oddly enough, wearing bright clothing, and being easily seen, seems to attract the idiots that scope people.
Medically proven fact, 8 % of men are colour blind , add inexperience and disaster is likely,,

Hunter orange is not a way of providing saftey , education is !

Better to have regulations making it a very expensive FINE and hunting PROHIBITATION for being at large while in possession of a hunting weapon and not in possession of GOOD QUALITY BINOCULARS at all times, would do more for public safety,

Unless the dead guy was dressed as an Elk, this was not an accident, but rather careless use of a firearm ! Punishable by law .
Old 09-19-2017, 03:40 PM

No if the gun is loaded or empty.

Don't point at anything that you don't intend to shoot

Know your target and BEYOND

3 of the simplest rules there are when it comes to gun safety!

BW
Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 PM

Back in 1989 Evan Skoljas from Norway was killed while bear hunting not far from Mariana Lake. I have a picture on an old computer that is currently out of commission of a steel pole and Evans picture in plexiglass on it where this happened as I used to hunt the area often as I grew up in McMurray. It remains unsolved to this day.

https://youtu.be/W_1hBhxt9nc
Old 09-19-2017, 03:55 PM

That the young man called the police, and stayed till they arrived, shows he has a pretty good sense of right and wrong. He is going to be crushed by this, probably for the rest of his life, and I don't want to even think of the suffering the victim's family will go through. Really tragic this happened, absolutely heart breaking for all those involved. Even though you must fault him for making a decision to shoot, that can't ever be fixed, you have to credit him for taking responsibility and owning it. My heart goes out to all parties involved, and as AlbertaDiver said....make damn sure you know what you are shooting at! There are no 'do overs' when you make a mistake like this with a fire arm.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-19-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That the young man called the police, and stayed till they arrived, shows he has a pretty good sense of right and wrong. He is going to be crushed by this, probably for the rest of his life, and I don't want to even think of the suffering the victim's family will go through. Really tragic this happened, absolutely heart breaking for all those involved. Even though you must fault him for making a decision to shoot, that can't ever be fixed, you have to credit him for taking responsibility and owning it. My heart goes out to all parties involved, and as AlbertaDiver said....make damn sure you know what you are shooting at! There are no 'do overs' when you make a mistake like this with a fire arm.
Sounds like a stand up guy that made an awfully tragic mistake. We have all
made mistakes, some are just larger and more catastrophic than others.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Sounds like a stand up guy that made an awfully tragic mistake. We have all
made mistakes, some are just larger and more catastrophic than others.
Perhaps he is a stand up guy, but a life was taken, and the charges and sentence if convicted, should reflect that fact.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Perhaps he is a stand up guy, but a life was taken, and the charges and sentence if convicted, should reflect that fact.
completely disagree. he will suffer enough
Old 09-19-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Agree wholeheartedly
Old 09-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
100% my thoughts. There are no winners here. He wears it for taking a ridiculous chance. But I do think based on initial reports, he's gonna suffer himself immensely....
Old 09-19-2017, 05:42 PM

And another misidentified target! Horrible.

We have enough people against firearms period. Then we have the anti's.
By not identifying what they were shooting at this 'hunter' now has to deal with the consequences.

Why can't people use their firearms responsibly?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3757033/th...r-in-squamish/

A regular walk in the woods on Monday turned into a horrifying ordeal for Valeria Calderoni after her dog was accidentally shot and killed by a hunter in Squamish.

Calderoni, who is the founder of the Canine Valley rehabilitation centre in Squamish, was walking her dog, Kaoru, along with a pack from the centre when she heard a gunshot.

Kaoru stumbled a few steps before collapsing in front of Calderoni, a second dog handler and a pack of nine dogs.

It’s believed the hunter may have mistaken Kaoru, a Tamaskan, for a wolf.

The accident happened near Lake Lucille, on a trail that the Canine Valley staff said they have often used to exercise their dogs without incident.

The group, Calderoni said, was just heading out of the forest line on Crown land when Kaoru was shot.

In a video posted to YouTube Calderoni said Kaoru was “killed at point blank range by a trophy hunter in a frequented trail while hiking with her buddies and two handlers.”

Kaoru was a certified therapy dog that Calderoni said was part of the Squamish community. The gentle canine worked with children with autism and people struggling with emotional challenges.

“She helped thousands of people feel happy and relaxed through her many working hours,” Calderoni said.

In February, The Squamish Chief did a story on Kaoru when she was a bride in a dog wedding to raise funds for the Canine Valley kid’s program.

Canine Kids is a program that was developed by Canine Valley to help children understand dogs, teach them awareness and observations skills, physical coordination, emotional intelligence and help raise their confidence.

Calderoni’s hope is that another tragedy like Kaoru’s can be avoided by making hunters more aware of recreational users in the area because “no one deserves to lose their best friend.”

While there is a police file on the incident, the B.C. Conservation Officer Service is investigating.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:45 PM

Absolutely no reason for something like this to happen
Old 09-19-2017, 05:45 PM

I've met the young man who was killed. A friend of mine took him under his wing and brought him out here elk hunting a few times. Was friends with his dad. Great family and tragic beyond words.
I was told he was walking out of the bush, backpack on and rifle slung over his shoulder. Mistaken for a spiker.
I hope the young man responsible can step up and live a life worthy of two. What's done is done.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

They hand out PALs like driver licenses nowadays.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvin View Post
I've met the young man who was killed. A friend of mine took him under his wing and brought him out here elk hunting a few times. Was friends with his dad. Great family and tragic beyond words.
I was told he was walking out of the bush, backpack on and rifle slung over his shoulder. Mistaken for a spiker.
I hope the young man responsible can step up and live a life worthy of two. What's done is done.
So sorry to hear this. Sorry for your loss, and the family of course.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM

Yikes, it is seemingly becoming more and more common.

A few years back I was nearly shot, no idea how close it actually was.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=237212

My situation was 110% completely avoidable. Not sure about the poor fella in Sask. Condolences to his family. This could've been me.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Yikes, it is seemingly becoming more and more common.

A few years back I was nearly shot, no idea how close it actually was.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=237212

My situation was 110% completely avoidable. Not sure about the poor fella in Sask. Condolences to his family. This could've been me.
What ended up happening to those clowns?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
They hand out PALs like driver licenses nowadays.
But it makes me wonder what happened in the days we didn't need permission to own chattels?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 PM

A horrible tragedy.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Sad to hear. My condolences to the family.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvin View Post
I usually carry a headlamp on my person. When it gets dark and I'm just hiking back to the truck I either have it on to guide my way or if it's not super dark I put it on flashing red. That way when peoples eyes start to play tricks on them in lower light I'm not mistaken for anything other than Rudolph, maybe I didn't think this through...
Old 09-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
X2. What a tragedy. Lets wait and find out what really happened before we bring back the death penalty.
I feel sorry for both of these 2 young hunters, and for both of thier family's.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Tough. First rule of hunting is we don't shoot unless we're sure of the target. Who in their right mind mistakes a human being for an elk or a moose? Obviously someone who didn't sure of his target.

Nobody intends to kill others while they're driving drunk either. But they still do it as a result of. No different.

Charge him with manslaughter. We all have to, or should have to, be held accountable for mistakes we make in life and pay the price. Being sorry isn't enough.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 PM

If anything, let this be a sobering reminder of the responsibility that comes with a tradition or pastime that many are grateful to participate in.

We carry weapons that kill. Don't let buck fever or a desperate desire to get an animal cloud the importance of knowing our target and what is behind it!