Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Default Hike in fly fishing

Just wondering if people fish any of the small lakes up. In the mountains very often I love hiking and started flyfishing last year and would love to combine the two. I just wanna know if any of the tiny unnamed lakes I'm looking at hold fish I'm sure the do. But any info or lakes you can share would be great. I'd love to hike a few trails before I Gish em. Pm me if you want.

Thanks
gary
Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 PM

Start in Peter Lougheed park for some moderate hikes with good fish, mostly westslope cutts which if you think about it should be called eastslope cutts. Then head to Banff for hardcore hikes for some crazy fish. Splake, Yellowstone cutts, Quebec red trout, Northern Dollies. I miss the Trout updates that Kyle Mcneily used to write for the Alberta Fishing guide. Nothing got me into those crazy places like his writings.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:58 PM

SageGunDog and I do an alpine hike-in trip every year. I would recommend it to anyone willing to walk a little, absolutely fantastic. Fire me a PM if you want any directions/advice for SW Alberta.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary K View Post
Just wondering if people fish any of the small lakes up. In the mountains very often I love hiking and started flyfishing last year and would love to combine the two. I just wanna know if any of the tiny unnamed lakes I'm looking at hold fish I'm sure the do. But any info or lakes you can share would be great. I'd love to hike a few trails before I Gish em. Pm me if you want.

Thanks
gary
Where are you located ?I have done a few hikes in for some fishing and have a few spots I am looking to hit as soon as weather and regulations permit.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 PM
sheephunter

If they are so tiny that they are unnamed, I doubt they hold fish but most of the named ones sure do. Some of the most spectacular fishing you'll ever experience.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:31 AM

Smile

Wow great pics, exactly what I'm looking for. And I'm located in Calgary. And would love to hear of some places to go!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:46 AM

3 Seasons ago, I spur of the moment hiked into an Picklejar Lakes with my Dad when I noticed in the guide it had the only purebred Westslope Cutts in Alberta. It was mid August, and it snowed like it was January. Loved every second of it. Pulled out 5 cutts between us. Fell in love.

Have since hiked into Running Rain Lake, Rummel Lake, Chester lake, Eagle Lake, Rawson Lake, and Headwall Lakes. If you'd like any info on these lakes shoot me a PM.

Also, pick up the Canadian Rockies Backroad Mapbook, it'll be of great help to you.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 AM

I am ready to go when anyone else is! Give me 3 hours notice as I live in St Albert.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Default Pickle Jar & Running Rain

Two of my favorites are Pickle Jar Lakes and Running Rain Lake. Pickle Jar is well know and isn't too hard to find with a copy of the "Backroads Map book". Running Rain could be a little harder to find as there are no signes off the road, but it's also the the book. It's only about an hour hike, for me. A fit person could probably do it in half hour or so. The fish aren't big but you can't beat the view. Just a reminder though, the creek you cross to get to Running Rain, like any creek or river, can be alot bigger and nastier to cross later in the day if the weather has been warm all day. I Learned that one the hard way.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Maude and Upper Headwall Lakes

The two best backcountry lakes that I've experienced are both in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, Kananaskis. Headwall is a 2hr hike from the Chester Lake parking lot, while Maude is a real backcountry lake, at about 5hrs from the Upper Kananaskis Lake parking lot. Might want to make this one into an overnight backpacking trip.

I guarantee that if you head up to these gems you won't be disappointed! Lots of beautiful, often large, and not-so-picky cutts! That's what fly fishing was made for... and the scenery is not so bad either!

Good fishin'
Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM

Im local in calgary and if any one could send me some info on where to go for places like this please do.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:05 PM

Default alpine hike

If you are up for an extremely long hike but certainly not difficult hike into Fortress Lake, well worth it (about 25 km) go early in the spring and take a float tube!! Brookies up to 7 lbs or so!! Hiked in with a 70 lb pack and stayed for 4 days absolutley amazing!!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If they are so tiny that they are unnamed, I doubt they hold fish but most of the named ones sure do. Some of the most spectacular fishing you'll ever experience.

Where is this?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
sheephunter

Top pic is Rawson....second is Talus. Lots of other good K-Country lakes mentioned in this thread as well.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Top pic is Rawson....second is Talus. Lots of other good K-Country lakes mentioned in this thread as well.
Didn't recognize Rawson, wasn't nearly as green when I was there in mid August. Always wanted to see Talus...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Two of my favorites are Pickle Jar Lakes and Running Rain Lake. Pickle Jar is well know and isn't too hard to find with a copy of the "Backroads Map book". Running Rain could be a little harder to find as there are no signes off the road, but it's also the the book. It's only about an hour hike, for me. A fit person could probably do it in half hour or so. The fish aren't big but you can't beat the view. Just a reminder though, the creek you cross to get to Running Rain, like any creek or river, can be alot bigger and nastier to cross later in the day if the weather has been warm all day. I Learned that one the hard way.
Those, sir, are two of the most beautiful lakes I have ever been graced enough to cast a line into. In fact, my avatar is from Picklejar Lakes.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
Didn't recognize Rawson, wasn't nearly as green when I was there in mid August. Always wanted to see Talus...
Ya, we had Talus all to ourselves on August long weekend two years ago....it was pretty amazing. Biggest fish were about 14-16 inches but lots of them and next to no pressure.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Ya, we had Talus all to ourselves on August long weekend two years ago....it was pretty amazing. Biggest fish were about 14-16 inches but lots of them and next to no pressure.
About 6km off the elbow loop, and 16km from the trailhead according to my backroad mapbook. Did you go in from 66 or 40?

How was the hike?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Where did you guys buy the backroads map book? If anyone is ever looking for someone to head out on a hike/fish trip, I would definitely be up for it!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Where did you guys buy the backroads map book? If anyone is ever looking for someone to head out on a hike/fish trip, I would definitely be up for it!
I think any major book store should sell them, Chapters or Indigo. Canadian Tire might also have them but I'm not sure. You might also want to try outdoor or fishing stores I think I've seen them there as well. If you have any problems finding a copy let me know and I will find out who sells them.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
I think any major book store should sell them, Chapters or Indigo. Canadian Tire might also have them but I'm not sure. You might also want to try outdoor or fishing stores I think I've seen them there as well. If you have any problems finding a copy let me know and I will find out who sells them.
Also available at Superstore, Coles, seen tem at Fishin Hole and Campers Village.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks guys
Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Galatea Lake

Galatea Lake on hwy 40 inside the k country boundry is an excelent day hike.
I think it was about 4k each way. Stocked cuts and good backcountry campsite if you are overnite inclined.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Default Hector Lake

Has anyone fished Hector lake on the west side of hwy 93 between Lake Louise and Sask crossing. It is in Banff Nat Park so i assume park lic. will aply
Most i ask confuse this lake with chief hector lake, and tell me i need band permision, or maybe it is I who am confused? It is a hike in and barry mitchel warns of water and sudden storm conditions. Any ifo ie. can i get a canoe in or stick to float tube. Thx
Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Elbow Lake is a short steep hike and if you are more ambitious you could continue on to Commonwealth Lake (good bike-in trip as well but make sure your bike has suspension.)

As a local to this area I find myself saying "Calgarian" with gritted teeth during the summer fishing season as I've noticed all the above mentioned lakes getting more and more "popular" as the city grows. But that's how you Calgary folks must feel about your stretch of the Bow.

And if the shoe were on the other foot and I lived in Cowtown you can bet I'd be tromping all around K-Country in my spare time as well. That said, we have a few local secret spots on the Bow and in the backcountry that seems to have been kept off the radar.... for the time being at least.

Looking forward to spring!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Do you guys believe if a spin-fisherman such as I went up to such sites; would there be any issues of catching fish, and releasing of course!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beazer View Post
Do you guys believe if a spin-fisherman such as I went up to such sites; would there be any issues of catching fish, and releasing of course!
I went up to elbow lake with spin gear and decently small spinners, Had a few chase but no bites, You need a good light/Ultralight rod and reall small spinners from what I saw of the fish size or try fly fishing. If there was a way for me to get my pontoon boat up there I would but I am 290 lbs so I am not walking 80lbs up there in a carry bag
Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Depends on time of year and species. But in the early fall, I think Spin lures can actually outperform flies on lakes like Rawson when the fish turn to heavier feeding before freeze up. Cutts are not the pickiest of the trout family I've seen decent sized Cutts take multiple runs at my strike indicator (tiny bobber) before.

And, if you don't factor lugging a float tube in, as a spincaster you would actually be able to cover more (and harder to reach/better protected) water than flychuckers in some of these remote alpine lakes.

As a spincaster, with a little rigging, you can almost emulate a wet fly presentation on a fly rod with those bobbers you fill with water, some tippet and a nymph.

Hope this helps. Don't let spin gear keep you away from these gems!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 PM

I try to do a hike every year t least one trip to include Landslide ,Hidden and lake of the falls. This summer i will include Kinglet Lake.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
About 6km off the elbow loop, and 16km from the trailhead according to my backroad mapbook. Did you go in from 66 or 40?

How was the hike?
Went in from Little Elbow side...Highway 66. Think it took us about 5.5 hours. It was a pretty east hike.