Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Default what are some good fishing techniques for walleye in the river?

i just started fishing and im going out fishing for walleye tomorrow what are some things i should know and some tips on how to ankle them thanks
Old 09-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady 2247 View Post
i just started fishing and im going out fishing for walleye tomorrow what are some things i should know and some tips on how to ankle them thanks
Jigs fished along the bottom in pools and just below creeks and tributaries. I like Chartruese...but black is good. I have also done well on yellow, white and red. Take a selection...because color is important.

If legal...bait is helpful. I have used pickeral rigs or jigs tipped with dew worms or minnows. I have also caught them using a fly rod and flies such as muddler minnows, doc spratlys and leeches. You need a sinking line...and watch for snags.

I like medium light action rods to feel a take.

Good luck and take some pics!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady 2247 View Post
hopefully you're able to recognise some of the gear hanging out of the fishes yaps in this thread. i prefer shiners over worms when specifically targeting walleye in a river. find deep slow water and fish the bottom.

Dace

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=103871
Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 PM

This time of the year the fish will be starting to fatten up for winter.You just have to put in some time and figure out when there bitting and on what. They travel in schools so when you catch 1 rember where you casted and cast there again.Good time to use minnows as bait.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

I always use a jig with a split tail body, work pools and sometimes rapids will surprise you to. and if you snag the bottom your not out much. The fish that hang in the rapids are there to feed and will be real aggresive if something comes in front of them!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Try finding a nice back eddy created by a sharp bend in the current or a big point jutting out into the current, cast in the lee of the point right into the eddy and let your jig/rapala/what ever sink and then slowly retrieve with little twitches. Also don't be afraid of fishing near laydowns/snags created by fallen trees and boulders walleye and other fish love having little hidy holes to curl up in and ambush anything moving by, like bob izumi once said, you ain't fishing the snags you ain't fishing the fish!

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 PM

and if ur fishing a spot with lots of snags it's good to use a slip sinker rig with a floating jig, with a leech or minnow,, or a lindy rig setup, and fish slow ,and go smaller on jig weights when there being picky,
Old 09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Banned

#10 snelled hook, 12 inches above a coathanger for a weight,, cut a dew worm into half inch pieces. cast up stream and pick up the slack as it comes to you. I caught about 30 walleye this weekend, half were keepers half were not,,, hate walleye, seriously hate them.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Emerald Shiners on a hook.

Tags
walleye