Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Default Aqua vu VS Vexilar

Debating whether to purchase a Vexilar or Aqua Vu under water camera.Currently own a Aqua view, which I've had for 8 years with no issues. Would like to upgrade to color and bigger screen. Searching the internet, most say Vexilar hands down. Would like to hear what my fellow fishermen think?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Marcum
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Flasher
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 PM

I was all excited about the Aqua-Vu 760cz Camera when it came out, bought the camera as soon as it hit the stores. Turned out that my cheap Chinese knock-off(paid $75) was a better picture and build quality. Ended up buying and returning 3 of them, never did get a good Aqua-Vu so I walked away.

Last edited by mayuan; 11-07-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 PM

Marcum.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:58 PM

Depends where you are fishing. If your fishing shallow lakes then a camera works great. If your going to fish some deeper water then i definitely recommend a Marcum Flasher.

With a flasher you can fish the entire water column. And its just as exciting as a camera. You can literally watch the fish follow your lure, and slow it down or speed it up trigger a hit. The best thing about a flasher is the instant readings. if your lure is off the bottom and your flasher registers a fish half way up, you can move your lure instantly to the fish.

I have a Marcum LX5 and love it.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ft Arborist View Post
Depends where you are fishing. If your fishing shallow lakes then a camera works great. If your going to fish some deeper water then i definitely recommend a Marcum Flasher.

With a flasher you can fish the entire water column. And its just as exciting as a camera. You can literally watch the fish follow your lure, and slow it down or speed it up trigger a hit. The best thing about a flasher is the instant readings. if your lure is off the bottom and your flasher registers a fish half way up, you can move your lure instantly to the fish.
I agree.............except for the Marcum part

I have both an FL-20 Vexilar and an Aqua-Vu camera. I enjoy them both for different reasons.

For me the camera is fun (especially for kids) but you are limited in what you can do with it.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Cameras are toys, flashers are tools. I wouldn't trade my Marcum for anything.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Just picked up a marcum 625 cam, got good rev. I also use the humm ice 55 flasher, but marcum has the lx9 which is flasher and cam, very nice!!
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM

Have both a marcum camera and flaser. Both top of the line for 2010. Would recommend both. But find the camera to be way more useful
Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Thanks guys. Now I dont know what to do? Ha! Oh well, ice needs to thicken up a bit more. That will give me time to make a decision.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:42 PM

If you have a boat, your fishfinder can do double duty(no need for a flasher). And you had a camera for 8years and were happy using it, so buy buy a new marcum 825(best out there). Flashers are old tech anyway.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
If you have a boat, your fishfinder can do double duty(no need for a flasher). And you had a camera for 8years and were happy using it, so buy buy a new marcum 825(best out there). Flashers are old tech anyway.
If you were interested in a flasher or fishfinder.

I would have to agree with going with a fishfinder vs a flasher. I used a cheap huminbird for several years and it was great on the ice, upgraded to a lowrance HDS this year. When I compared the fishfinder to the flashers, I found that with were about the same speed(flasher was a bit faster than the hummingbird 530 about a half second delay). Going to have to test the lowrance against one of the high end flashers.