Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2017, 04:03 PM

Default New Auger blades damaged? Best option?

Bought myself a nice new Eskimo auger this year with 10" auger. Been working great until last time I was out and was drilling holes, there was a rock in the ice and my auger hit it on a couple rotations. I can visually see a nicked (rolled) spot about 1.5 cm long in one of the blades. Now the thing won't cut anything!

Been ice fishing for a while but haven't had to deal with blade issues. Can i simply just sharpen that one blade and it will be good as new again or could something more be wrong? Was hoping to avoid buying a brand new blade set as these really aren't that old and blades are expensive.

Thoughts/guidance?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:17 PM

I have done both, sharpened myself after dulling them but not quite the same. I bought new after that and from then on, I keep a file in my tackle box and give the blades a quick touch up before each trip. Still cutting years later(not a die hard so maybe 4 times a year). But i haven't hit anything or drilled shallow enough to hit ground yet.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:24 PM

A lot of blades are on sale now and it is always a good idea to have a spare.

Maybe take the blades to a sharpening service and let them rework it for you.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:05 PM

As long as they aren't bent enough the angle of the blade changed you should be able to sharpen it enough to get it to cut. I've sharpened mine for years, It's been mentioned that new blades are on sale and it's great advice, the old ones can be your spare set if nothing else.

all depends how bad they were damaged. Good luck
Old 02-06-2017, 05:09 PM

Definitely buy a new set and have the old ones resharpened if possible. It is a great idea to have a spare set of blades. It can save a trip.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
As long as they aren't bent enough the angle of the blade changed you should be able to sharpen it enough to get it to cut. I've sharpened mine for years, It's been mentioned that new blades are on sale and it's great advice, the old ones can be your spare set if nothing else.

all depends how bad they were damaged. Good luck
Exactly what I did this year. Bought a new set - which made a night and day difference - and then got my old ones sharpened and they sit in my gear as spares.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:21 PM

I hit the bottom last weekend and nicked my blades. I did a little research online and plan on using stone to hone the top of the blade, the side that makes contact with the ice. Don't sharpen the back side of the blade or else your auger won't cut. It needs the burr to make the bite into the ice. It wouldn't hurt to order a second set of blades for the next time you have an accident , mine should be in tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:01 PM

With that good of a nick I would go buy a new set. Then if you want you could take these blades into a sharpening place to see if they think they can fix them up and if so can keep them as a spare.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Don't sharpen the back side of the blade or else your auger won't cut. It needs the burr to make the bite into the ice. It wouldn't hurt to order a second set of blades for the next time you have an accident
I agree with this advice. I tried sharpening my strikemaster lazer mag auger blades earlier this year and made the mistake of sharpening the backside. You could shave with them but all they would do is polish the ice. I reshaped the edge and they did much better the second time out but their edge wouldn't hold more than 10 holes. I have since replaced them and it cuts like a dream again, lesson learned, but at least I can use the old set as backups.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
A lot of blades are on sale now and it is always a good idea to have a spare.

Maybe take the blades to a sharpening service and let them rework it for you.
This is your best option.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 AM

I did the exact same thing and fiddled around with sharpening the blades. Made for a wasted trip, lol. The problem is that you have to sharpen the blades on precisely the exact correct angle, or else you're wasting your time.

I'd recommend buying a new set and keeping the old set to practice sharpening. That way, you'll have a reliable set as well as a spare set.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:48 AM
Banned

http://www.lawnmowerhosp.com/product...ger-blades-467

I can't even buy bait and fuel for one trip for that price.

Buy a new set.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
Definitely buy a new set and have the old ones resharpened if possible. It is a great idea to have a spare set of blades. It can save a trip.
X2

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think i will play it safe and buy another set and use these old ones as backup as suggested.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I hit the bottom last weekend and nicked my blades. I did a little research online and plan on using stone to hone the top of the blade, the side that makes contact with the ice. Don't sharpen the back side of the blade or else your auger won't cut. It needs the burr to make the bite into the ice. It wouldn't hurt to order a second set of blades for the next time you have an accident , mine should be in tomorrow.
I tried touching up my blades and sharpened the wrong side . I did a little more digging and found this picture and redid my blades. Hopefully I didn't mess them up to bad.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:00 PM

If you sharpened the wrong side you are probably hooped. I would try it out somewhere very close by or go buy a new set to have before driving any distance to try it.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
If you sharpened the wrong side you are probably hooped. I would try it out somewhere very close by or go buy a new set to have before driving any distance to try it.
I got about twenty holes out of those blades before my Ion E. started cutting out every 4 inches.