Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Another good one for spinner rigs such as the Lindy, is small twist ties to keep the line looped together when storing.
Retractable lanyards with nail clippers on them make re-tying a breeze too.
I've gleaned quite a bit from this thread. Keep it rolling and hopefully some will come out of the woodwork and add to it
I'm having trouble picturing your spinner rig tip, and I'm always looking for better ways to store that type of rig. I used to use little ziplocks but the spinners would always come out in a big tangle. Now I use those foam "Lindy Rigger" things, they work but if I could find a more space efficient solution I'd be pretty happy. I think about the biggest beef I have against soft tacklebags is Lindy Rigger and bottom bouncer storage is rarely satisfactory.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:11 AM

For your worm harnesses lindy rigs leaders etc... buy the foam pool noodles cut them down so multiples can fit in a rubbermaid container or your livewell. Hook the hooks into the foam, wrap them around securing the knot or swivel with a tooth pick or paper clip that's been cut in half. I've probably got 150 harnesses and leaders in my front unused livewell.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I'm having trouble picturing your spinner rig tip, and I'm always looking for better ways to store that type of rig. I used to use little ziplocks but the spinners would always come out in a big tangle. Now I use those foam "Lindy Rigger" things, they work but if I could find a more space efficient solution I'd be pretty happy. I think about the biggest beef I have against soft tacklebags is Lindy Rigger and bottom bouncer storage is rarely satisfactory.
Oh sorry,
I loop the rig back into coils just like it comes in the factory bag. Then I use a small twist tie around the line loops and she stays together nicely. I do that for apex lures as well or basically anything that has a length of line to it. I also use ziplock bags and they work awesome to keep those from tangling up.
Ill try to post a pic if I get time today
Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 AM

Some of you guys that use lots of spinner rigs might like the looks of this guy.

http://www.tangletamercard.com/
Old 03-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario gunner View Post
For your worm harnesses lindy rigs leaders etc... buy the foam pool noodles cut them down so multiples can fit in a rubbermaid container or your livewell. Hook the hooks into the foam, wrap them around securing the knot or swivel with a tooth pick or paper clip that's been cut in half. I've probably got 150 harnesses and leaders in my front unused livewell.
Yeah, I've done that, and the Lindy Riggers are pretty much the same thing. I don't bother with the toothpicks though, I start at the swivel end, wrapping the rest of the line over the free end to keep it secure, and then stick the hooks into the noodle.

I guess the problem, for a guy trying to downsize, is trying to fit the pool noodles into a small tackle box, or a tackle bag of any sort. Its not such a big deal with spinners because they only get used in the boat and can stay there, but I store live bait rigs that I use for fishing from the bank the same way, and the bulk is more of an inconvenience in this case.