Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM

Default Salt water fly fishing

Im going to Cayo Santa Maria Cuba in feb 2013 bought a 9wt echo edge flyrod 9 wt reel cant remember the brand or make i got tarpon line bonefish line im looking for a guide to book before i go does anyone know of some contact info to get in touch with one i want to guarantee a boat to fish the flats/mangroves for at least one day.What type of flies should i bring with me and is there any other information that would help me prepare gearwise or mentally to catch some bones or tarpon or amberjack just dont wanna get skunked any info or help would be much appreciated thank you
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 AM

I went in cayo coco which is just a bit south east of where you are going to be. Do not go deep sea fishing, i found it to be a major waste of time. I went flats fishing and landed 17 fish. For flies your going to want to bring crazy charlies and gotcha's in white. 9 wt wont cut it for tarpon (my guide wouldn't let me target them unless i had a 12 wt). I brought my casting gear as well and was glad i did. It ended up blowing 30 mph the whole time i was there and made it near impossible to fly fish, but easy for casting. The guides want you to use fluro leader. They don't have a big selection for lures, so bring your own. Large rapala's are what i used and it worked great (5-7" long floating). 12 lb bonefish tapered leader is what i was using. Get some leader for barracuda too if you want a real fight and some large streamers. The guide i used wont be in your area, but it was easy to find one. I asked the tour guides at the hotel until i found one who was passionate about fishing and he hooked me up. It was 200$ for a full day of flats fishing. You'll need flats wading boots. Also bring long sleeve shirts and pants for fishing.