Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Default Lures for the bow

Hi does any one know some good lures for the bow and I have a white and blue buzz bomb that is 2 and a half inches do you know how I would fish it .
Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 PM

I haven't used a buzzbomb in alberta yet but on the coast I would cast it and retreive it (pull rod tip to right or left, let slack so it can sink a bit and real and repeat) or jig it on the bottom.

I don't fish the bow so no help there. I hear the fly fishing is great and cranks can work but no personal experience.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:43 PM

If you're not fly fishing rapala countdowns work well. Brown trout and rainbow trout patterns sizes 3 through 7, maybe a 9.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 PM

both responses are on the money my 2 cents will be save the bombs for fall sept-oct myself im after the browns at this time and still today my biggest fish on the bow has been caught on a 2 1/2 inch bomb.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
both responses are on the money my 2 cents will be save the bombs for fall sept-oct myself im after the browns at this time and still today my biggest fish on the bow has been caught on a 2 1/2 inch bomb.
I hate to be the wet blanket, but the browns spawn for Sept-Nov and should be left alone.

But in response to the OP, if you are fly fisherman, you should stick to flies.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I hate to be the wet blanket, but the browns spawn for Sept-Nov and should be left alone.

more like a wet diaper! And full!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM

No one should be fishing for the big browns on above fc like that in the fall. They should not be harassed.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:

righhhhht!thanks tips
Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
righhhhht!thanks tips
Hey, you are welcome! You know, it is like people do not understand that big healthy fish depend on a healthy breeding. And hey, many of the big breeding browns are presently infected with a really sad fungal infection and there are many indications that stress during breeding helps propagate the infection, particularly in the males.

And if you happen to catch a big infected brown, you will get that fungal infection all over the net, so you can pass it on to the next fish, brown or otherwise, whose mucus membrane has also been damaged on your net. And guess what, that infection also kills and/or infects the eggs. So the single brown trout that was caught could result in the death of the redd of eggs.

From September to December, I stay downstream of 22x. In December, I will start making my way upstream. Sure, I will be confined to rainbows (frequently over 18", occasionally around 20") and whitefish are still a ton of fun.

Over the last year, I have caught about 15 browns over 20". 50% have been on size 10 san juan worms, and 50% on size 16 copper john. I am not against catching big browns. All Bow River anglers know: big browns are the prize.

But seriously, mate, from Sept 15 - Nov 30, please leave the browns alone.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Hey, you are welcome! You know, it is like people do not understand that big healthy fish depend on a healthy breeding. And hey, many of the big breeding browns are presently infected with a really sad fungal infection and there are many indications that stress during breeding helps propagate the infection, particularly in the males.

And if you happen to catch a big infected brown, you will get that fungal infection all over the net, so you can pass it on to the next fish, brown or otherwise, whose mucus membrane has also been damaged on your net. And guess what, that infection also kills and/or infects the eggs. So the single brown trout that was caught could result in the death of the redd of eggs.

From September to December, I stay downstream of 22x. In December, I will start making my way upstream. Sure, I will be confined to rainbows (frequently over 18", occasionally around 20") and whitefish are still a ton of fun.

Over the last year, I have caught about 15 browns over 20". 50% have been on size 10 san juan worms, and 50% on size 16 copper john. I am not against catching big browns. All Bow River anglers know: big browns are the prize.

But seriously, mate, from Sept 15 - Nov 30, please leave the browns alone.
Amen. I dont get what people dont understand about that.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Amen. I dont get what people dont understand about that.
its not about understanding it i get what both of u a saying and agree with it all 100% their is just a more ethical way to go about.for one i never fish spawning bed or back bays in lakes were fish are about to spawn,i never use nets unless i absolutley halfto,i won't even take the fish out of the water for a picture,the less handling the better,and for the indications of stress i dont know where that comes from,but if it comes from biologists sorry it dosent hold any water in my view(they have made many ooops in the past bad decisions this i know.) what can they really tell us about a fish when our owen scientists can't even figure what us as humans need, as their always changing views on sleeping,eating,stress ect....and for that reason im not going to miss out on the nicest fish of the year.the biggest thing i find is using proper gear so in the fall i hang up the fly rod chuck bombs hook,reel and release,as fast as i can the bigger problem out their are guys using 4-6 pound tipits fighting fish to the point that after release they float down past me belly up.I see it every year.YOU DON"T NEED TO GO THAT LIGHT it not cool.theirs nothing wrong fishing,fish runs people have been doing for decades just stay out of the breeding areas.don't net,touch keep it the water everyones happy.aka the complete angler
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 PM

Default as the fish spawn ....i fish on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
No one should be fishing for the big browns on above fc like that in the fall. They should not be harassed.
i have no problem with people fishing during spawns....if its legal....have at er
i feel if someone wants to have a personal reason for not fishing a particular way or time....thats kinda their own choice ....as long as you are following all the laws shouldn't people be able to enjoy the sport for what they enjoy it for?
hitting a wicked day of 100+ pike early one spring during the spawn is what i mainly attribute to knowing how to safely handle and deal with fish....just my opinion

as for the op....ive found big browns are very canabalistic ....try a big brownie rapala....(up to you but i would remove all but the last treble hook...it is better for the fish and snags.....)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM

why do people always feel the need to push their own agendas. The op asked for lure advice, not spawning advice. I do agree about leaving them alone but that wasn't the point of the thread. Start another one about what you think, don't barge into someones question its rude. Grow up and maybe you'll be able to change his mind by making another thread on why we shouldn't fish browns in the fall. Or you could ignore that and just be a set of lips barking across the internet!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

Rapalas work well.

As mentioned, countdowns work well, but original floating rap's and other styles can work as well or better depending on how you fish them.

Brown trout are about as smart as pike, so don't be afraid to use large rap's like HJ-14 or F-18.

At dusk and first dark is a guarantee for browns over 20" once you figure out where they hold.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
its not about understanding it i get what both of u a saying and agree with it all 100% their is just a more ethical way to go about.for one i never fish spawning bed or back bays in lakes were fish are about to spawn,i never use nets unless i absolutley halfto,i won't even take the fish out of the water for a picture,the less handling the better,and for the indications of stress i dont know where that comes from,but if it comes from biologists sorry it dosent hold any water in my view(they have made many ooops in the past bad decisions this i know.) what can they really tell us about a fish when our owen scientists can't even figure what us as humans need, as their always changing views on sleeping,eating,stress ect....and for that reason im not going to miss out on the nicest fish of the year.the biggest thing i find is using proper gear so in the fall i hang up the fly rod chuck bombs hook,reel and release,as fast as i can the bigger problem out their are guys using 4-6 pound tipits fighting fish to the point that after release they float down past me belly up.I see it every year.YOU DON"T NEED TO GO THAT LIGHT it not cool.theirs nothing wrong fishing,fish runs people have been doing for decades just stay out of the breeding areas.don't net,touch keep it the water everyones happy.aka the complete angler
Well its good you're not fishing the beds. Because i know some door knobs that see a big brown on a redd, and cant resist throwing there double treble rapala at those fish. But even still, when salmonids are late into their staging which is usually by last week of september/first week of october for browns, when they're late into their staging, and are purposely targeted, and get stressed out by being caught, they will forego the spawning. Its not good for the population and reproductive cycle. On another note, With all these spawning class browns that have been struggling with saprologenia this fall and dying off, they need the best chance to complete their reproductive cycle. We've already lost a solid chunk of this years class worth of fish. Whether the fishing is closed or not, think to your self, do you want to have a season in 4-6 years where the population of spawning class browns are gone in the bow?

Anyways, that was the last reply in regards to the derailment of this thread. In regards to hooks, CD raps seem to be the lure of choice for the bow.