Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Banned

Default Biggest pike in Southern Alberta

What is the biggest pike you caught from Southern Alberta?
Old 08-20-2016, 10:14 AM

Biggest one I've caught was about 15 pounds and on the same day, my buddy caught a 21 pounder, out of Keho.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:17 AM

27 lbs for me. Our deeper res. hold some big fish.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Biggest one I've caught was about 15 pounds and on the same day, my buddy caught a 21 pounder, out of Keho.
Was there yesterday, a very decent one for a fly rod in about half hour
Old 08-20-2016, 10:28 AM

29 biggest and lots of 20+ Out of badger
Old 08-20-2016, 01:42 PM

36 lbs out of Frank Lake, or was it Tyrrell.......
Old 08-20-2016, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
36 lbs out of Frank Lake, or was it Tyrrell.......
Oh come now.....
Old 08-21-2016, 05:59 AM

20+ also at Badger.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:09 PM

34 pounds and nice try

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-21-2016, 06:04 PM

18lbs - Park Lake

Have seen () multiple 20lb+ fish come out of Travers though. The 2 biggest being 29 and 31lbs.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 PM

27 from newel 23 from rolling hills and a 20 from crawling valley for me.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:44 PM

This thread has Secret Coulee's name written all over it lol
Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Banned

Don't care where they were caught, I know for a fact there is 20 plus pounders right in lethbridge, just want to know size that's it that's all no need to post where, heard a story years ago about a 50lb+ pike was caught in a net by the SRD,apparently their scale only went to 50 lbs and by the measurements they estimated the weight to be around 70lbs. Anyone else hear this tale. And it was in s. alberta. I know that with how little pressure our reservoirs get down here and the depth I think a new alberta record is just around the corner. For example look at what came out of the waterton reservoir a few years ago in rarely fished reservoir, a monster brown that absolutely shattered the old record. Anyone who has looked bathymetric and hydrographic maps knows there is alot of water to hide in. Pretty soon the monsters will be coming up from the depths
Old 08-22-2016, 10:13 AM

There are some hidden monsters in the south for sure.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Don't care where they were caught, I know for a fact there is 20 plus pounders right in lethbridge, just want to know size that's it that's all no need to post where, heard a story years ago about a 50lb+ pike was caught in a net by the SRD,apparently their scale only went to 50 lbs and by the measurements they estimated the weight to be around 70lbs. Anyone else hear this tale. And it was in s. alberta. I know that with how little pressure our reservoirs get down here and the depth I think a new alberta record is just around the corner. For example look at what came out of the waterton reservoir a few years ago in rarely fished reservoir, a monster brown that absolutely shattered the old record. Anyone who has looked bathymetric and hydrographic maps knows there is alot of water to hide in. Pretty soon the monsters will be coming up from the depths
I haven't heard the SRD story, but I've talked to a few divers that have scuba dived in Newell and witnessed massive pike.

Regarding the SRD story, 70lbs seems a little unlikely. There's no doubt in my mind that there are pike in the south nearing 50lbs, but 70lbs just seems to high.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 AM

If you don't bonk em, they get bigger!
Old 08-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
This thread has Secret Coulee's name written all over it lol
I was with Secret Coulee when he caught a 34 pounder. Biggest live pike I have ever seen.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 08-22-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
53 pounds. and she went back in.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-22-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Interesting story, and I trust you as a source. Any other relevant information? Year, length, estimated age, etc.? Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Interesting story, and I trust you as a source. Any other relevant information? Year, length, estimated age, etc.? Thanks
just what Ive heard, dont even know the source, but I do believe it from the lake that was mentioned. I saw a pike in there that would blow the record away by a lot gave me palpitations for a week. I do know from a reliable source of at least one 80 inch lake sturgeon thats in our system. has to be more than one from that year class left. cant imagine one 7 1/2 inches even longer than my PB, that would be incredible

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
That's what I heard. I tried to get her, no luck....

I also hooked and lost a brown three times that had been previously electroshocked by the fish bios when they were trying to clean up all the spilled arctic char. That one would have been the new record brown. It still might be alive somewhere downstream after the flood, maybe even living' by the forks....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM

I heard from a good source that in one of the Southern res. not really known for big pike, that a fire fighter diver was helping look for a body. He ran into a pike and left the water and refused to go back. No guesses at weight he just said it was to big.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 PM

30 k, 26 k, 24 t, 23 b and lots of 20's from all reservoirs.

Waterton reservoir has some gorgeous pike and really unique, though I saw a 15 pounder caught I don't doubt there are behemoths in there.

bait to use right now is really distressed looking herring, bones guts exposed.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:32 PM

15 or so years ago 3 of us were on a Bird hunt upstream of Prairies Coulees on the South Sask river. My buddy pointed out a dead fish floating belly up in a back eddy 50' below us, it looked big! It wouldn't be easy to get to but I asked them if they wanted to see what a Sturgeon looked like assuming that's what it was...I was wrong it was an enormous Pike! My shotgun from end to end is 45.5", this Pike was 6 maybe 7" longer...40lbs+ for sure no doubt in my mind!!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I heard from a good source that in one of the Southern res. not really known for big pike, that a fire fighter diver was helping look for a body. He ran into a pike and left the water and refused to go back. No guesses at weight he just said it was to big.
My dad would tell of a similar story at the Brazeau dam. Spear fishers would dive down and be scared of the large pike down there.

Sorry for the derail OP.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:52 PM
Banned

Awesome stories gents, I often wonder what lurks in the Maskinoge since they shut her down years ago. What I would do to fish her for a day!
Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Banned

I love a good fish story. I heard they tagged that 53 pounder for the next lucky angler who brings it to shore to record the tag number and get an autographed ball cap from Premier Notley herself. Good luck anglers.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:52 AM

14lb'er wooooo boy!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 AM

Wife and I were at Badger a few years back chucking gear in one of the bay's when she tapped me on the shoulder and said "look at this"
When I looked I seen the biggest pike I have ever seen,it's head was the size of a spade shovel.It followed her 6" silver reef runner.I dropped my five of diamonds in front of its face but it showed no interest.We cruised the bay and seen many hogs sunning themselves.We had some of them show a little interest but no takers.Havent put much time in at Badger since but we will be back.I feel the next Alberta record will come out of Badger
Old 08-23-2016, 09:22 AM

Somewhere around the 30 mark. Never got a weight but it taped over 48 inches. At Badger last year. I had lots of fun trying to land it and measure it over the side of the canoe not to mention it pulled me around like a trolling motor. Released so she is still on the prowl!