Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Question for Canmore/Banff/Louise members

Hey folks,

I have some business guests coming from up from the States in the middle of June. They will be in Banff and would really like to go fishing for two days, on the 18th-19th. It sounds like they will need a guide/outfitter, and that they will most likely need gear to be provided, and of course a boat. I'm guessing that the best option for that time of year would most likely be Lake Minnewanka. They would also be interested in a day of fishing on the River somewhere in the area, but I suspect they have a pretty fair chance of being right in the middle of spring run-off.

Can people make recommendations for one of the guides' services in the area?

Never having had much interest in fishing from a boat, or experience with guides, I'm unqualified to give them a suggestion.

Any recommendations?

Thanks kindly,

HK
Old 03-02-2017, 03:28 PM

Most the outfitters at Lake Minnewanka also do river trips and they can most times be scheduled at the same time as you book the lake trip.

Google up Banff fishing and they are most all there.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 AM

Yep. I know. I was looking for a recommendation though.

My best guess will have to do then.

HK
Old 03-03-2017, 09:51 AM

I would go with Wapiti out of canmore: http://wapitisports.com/guided-fishing/

They will provide you everything you need: fly or gear

At that time of year, runoff might be started, which would make fishing the bow pretty tough if this is the case.

Another option, is that they could also take you up to spray lakes for some early season lakers. Depending on when ice is off, laker fishing can be pretty good in tight to shore at this time of year.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 AM

x2 Talk to Nick, the owner and #1 guide of Wapiti Sports in Canmore. He'll listen carefully to your needs and set up something for the 2 days your business guests won't forget. His pricing is fair, he's got all the gear, a ton of fishing experience, and is a knowledgable and enthusiastic tour guide. A great ambassador for our valley. Don't delay though, they book up early.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:31 PM

as a local of the valley I highly recommend Nick from Wapati sports in Canmore! he is great guide and all around good person full of useful information.

as for Minnewanka I find that the guides at the docks there are extremely rude and very pushy towards fisherman not using there services.

personally Id rent a tinner from the docks there and go fish Privately! the guides there cant go out of site from the dock apparently in case of bad weather and guest safety. Ive rented tinners few times and its not hard to spot the big guide boats fishing 1 of the 3 points in sight as well as trolling.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanks kindly gentlemen!