Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 12:53 PM

Default Tackle box tips - Post them up!

Well with the snow coming down, the wind up, and kids obligations throughout the day I figured it would be a good day to organize my tackle box in preparation for spring. One issue I've always had was crankbait hooks getting tangled with any other hooks. I had read about using small elastics to keep them under control but finally tried it. It actually works really well!

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-04-2017, 02:55 PM

I've seen that also just think it be a hassle taking them off unless you cut them

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2017, 05:20 PM

They seem to come off pretty easy. I can shake the whole Plano box and still lift out each lure without having them tangled.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:55 PM

Good tip. I like it.
While we're on the subject, carrying small zip locks is a great way to store apex lures, leaders, bottom bounce rigs you name it. Never a tangle worry in my tackle box. For me less is more with tackle. If I haven't used a lire for a couple years or it hasn't been effective she gets turfed. Nothing worse than when a buddy jumps in your boat with a box as big as a microwave and then proceeds to use only 2-3 lures.
Might have to start a new thread on tacklebox configurations.... good thread OP
Old 03-04-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
...Nothing worse than when a buddy jumps in your boat with a box as big as a microwave and then proceeds to use only 2-3 lures.

Haha. I may be that guy with a big tackle box! I actually moved to the Plano 3700 boxes and the cheap box bags from Cabelas. Each bag holds 6 boxes and I can mix it up depending on what we are targeting and what I expect to use. Cheaper than a box tacklebox and more flexible.

On the topic of other organization ideas, I started using blocks of the "pick and pluck" foam in my box compartments for small spoons and jigs. Easier than digging in the tiny compartment and keeps them from rattling around.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Good tip. I like it.
While we're on the subject, carrying small zip locks is a great way to store apex lures, leaders, bottom bounce rigs you name it. Never a tangle worry in my tackle box. For me less is more with tackle. If I haven't used a lire for a couple years or it hasn't been effective she gets turfed. Nothing worse than when a buddy jumps in your boat with a box as big as a microwave and then proceeds to use only 2-3 lures.
Lol, I'm with you on the less is more thing. I remember on a trip to the Florida Keys seeing the most ridiculously huge tackle boxes and multiple rods get wheeled out onto peers and bridges on carts, even though almost everyone that was catching anything was fishing with some version of the a dropper rig. That kina got me thinking about my own tackle box and when I got home I pretty much took everything down to terminal tackle and 3 presentations per species. I went down from several big boxes to just one small one for bank fishing, a slightly larger one in the boat, and a little tray of trout lures. I still catch just as many fish and after 4 years I think I could take it down to way less than that and still catch the same amount of fish.

Personally I'd like to move towards a system where I have a box just for bulk storage and terminal tackle, and then a small tray of lures for pike, one for walleye, and one for trout and perch. Then just throw whatever tray I need into the bulk box. I think the most anoying thing about multiple boxes is the need to duplicate terminal tackle items, and tools like pliers and stuff.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-05-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 AM

Yeah I'm set up 100% like you suggested^^^
I have 4 trays:
Walleye (interchangeable somewhat with pike)
Pike
Shuswap trolling gear
Terminal tackle

The rainbow spinners and spoons fit in the pike drawer. Terminal all by itself.
The pliers and tape measure etc go into my tackle bag (shimano).
I really believe that as we gain experience we just tend to know what works and what doesn't. Walleye for example is simpler these days. Locate with a spinner rig or sonar structure and then anchor when you find them. Proceed with jig. Hone down the color/size of the day and you've got it made.
Ok got to start a new thread. Curious what others do...
Sorry Op for the derail
Old 03-05-2017, 09:08 AM

With our big boat a big tackle box was never an issue. When we added our little 12'er to our armada to quad into llpp, space became a premium.
I went to a 4 tray soft bag. One tray is exclusivly for spare jig bodies in our preferred colors, with new jig heads. One glance and I know what the next trip to tfh is all about.
One tray is for spoons, separated by color one way, and size the other. One is for spinners, layed out the same as the spoons. One is for the current set ups. I like the soft bags, quiet and hold all my tools.
Like it so much I bought a super compact version for my ice fishing hooks.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry Op for the derail

Keep it going guys. Always like having the conversation around how others organize their tackle. Lots of different ways of doing it, but I'm always looking for new tips and tricks.

SS

Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 PM

I'm a bad 1 for tackle. I have a BIG Plano bag box. But I also have multiple spare trays .... then if I'm targeting Lakers vs Wallyeye vs Pike, I can switch out the trays to what I'm targeting but still can carry a bit for each species if I'm headed out on a fly in trip for a week or more, where you can't get more if needed. But when I load it down, it's prolly 70lbs or so. Sad thing is, that's not including my ice fishing gear or my fly fishing... 😬
Old 03-05-2017, 09:01 PM

I'm a very sick gear junkie. I use the Plano tackle trays for everything and find them to be the best. I have went back and forth with a few different systems and variations of tackle systems. Always seem to come back to the tackle trays.

For leaders, walleye harnesses, apex type set ups - I've tried, Baggies, stacking jars, Lindy cylinders, CD cases, you name it.

Right now I have a mix of these going - but most of the time, I'm using a small baggies and a square/rectangular spinner bait box (again a plano box) for terminal tackle, pre-tied fluoro leaders, the walleye harnesses and other small and awkward stuff.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/like/142130794545?chn=ps

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...90&cat=1,43326

https://katedaviesdesigns.com/2014/0...eedle-storage/
Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 PM

This is what I use for fairly small stuff, like beads, swivels, single hooks, and a bunch of other stuff. Also use for smaller spoons and such.

Craftmates lockables. Best I have found so far and I have tried everything(just about).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-05-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:12 PM

Here is some pics to go with my last post:

Also use for beads and they dont accidentally come open.

There is a button u have to push to open the individual compartments.
They are awesome.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-05-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
They seem to come off pretty easy. I can shake the whole Plano box and still lift out each lure without having them tangled.

That's a great idea. I'm doing it. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:30 PM

This thread has inspired me to organize my tackle into smaller setups!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 PM

Default Tackle Box Config

So here's a look at how I condensed my box. I've gone down to a Shimano bag with 4 trays:
Terminal Tackle
Shuswap/Rainbow trout fishing (i have a separate fly rod set up too)
Walleye
Pike/Misc

I've really whittled down from what i used to have. There's a tackle store on the way to just about anywhere, so I don't carry a ton of terminal tackle, just the stuff I use heavily I keep "in stock" and bare essentials. For me, I know what works now and I key in on that. Things like: dragging a bottom bouncer until hitting a school of walleye then anchoring over them. Then we drop jigs and minnows in their faces. Once we find the size/color combo that works best we go with that until the fish turn off. Basically employ a "fine tuning" system. Yes color/size matter- not the be all to end all but once you're on fish you will find subtleties that make a significant difference.
I may buy more trays one day but don't really find a need to. I'm set up for perch/whitefish/walleye/pike and trout with 4 simple boxes. They are all compartmentalized to prevent mixing/spilling. Ziplock baggies are vital to retain bottom bouncers, apex lures, willow leaf gang trolls etc... by saving them from snagging around each other. I've saved a lot of $ preserving what I have instead of getting frustrated with a gnarled up $5 rig and chucking it out. I am super happy with my gear. There's always a little room to try new tactics. The side pouches on the bag absorb the pliers/tape measure/spare line/flashers etc.... I feel way better knowing I'm heading to the lake fully equipped instead of lamenting about the things I left behind. No more massive box filled with 10 year old lures I don't use. I am constantly purging and organizing. I really believe simplifying it has lead to not only more fish but better quality ones.
Enjoy
Shimano Bag

Pike/Walleye/Misc

Terminal

Shuswap

Walleye

Bag

Last edited by wildwoods; 03-06-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM

I think I may be in too deep.

I have a 6 tray tackle bag marked Minnewanka, A back pack with 4 trays, assortment of bug spray pliers, first aid, marked take along. Used when I am going with some other boat.

One 4 tray bag marked trout. One smaller bag marked trolling, full of flashers, clips for the down rigger, ect.

One very very large plano for walley, one plano for pike.

Several trays sitting on the garage shelves full and gathering dust. 1 6 tray bag full of Rapalla only. Got the bug on ebay a few yrs. back and could not control myself. Result is over 100 Rapala and a lot of repeats.

One large back pack full and marked ICE

Have to down size but having a tough time just getting started.

I do not even want to start to think about the rods and reels.

Over 55 yrs of fishing you tend to accumulate a bit of stuff don't ya know
Old 03-06-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
One 4 tray bag marked trout. One smaller bag marked trolling, full of flashers, clips for the down rigger, ect.
Haha ok I may have a bit of a flasher problem too:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1630.jpg (47.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:57 AM

For all of you that "purge" your unused or older tackle, what do you do with it?

I have three fishing kids if your looking for a cause... Hahaha!

SS

Old 03-07-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
For all of you that "purge" your unused or older tackle, what do you do with it?

I have three fishing kids if your looking for a cause... Hahaha!

SS

I pass it down to my kids too. My 8 year old outfishes a lot of my buddies
But usually that stuff finds its way to the trash. Never a quality item- usually old, rusted up hooks that aren't salvageable and twisted up terminal tackle etc... good idea though
Old 03-07-2017, 08:48 AM

I usually try and spend some time every year organizing and neaty arranging my tackle boxes. It's great in theory and always feels good to have everything nicely organized to start the year. But I know about you, when the season hits and im changing things up and pulling things out and this and that, the nicely organized tackle box turns into a gong show pretty darn quick. I've also been guilty of forgetting to close everything properly including the large top compartment on my big box and sure enough, spilled everything all over the place..Fun times.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
So here's a look at how I condensed my box. I've gone down to a Shimano bag with 4 trays:
Terminal Tackle
Shuswap/Rainbow trout fishing (i have a separate fly rod set up too)
Walleye
Pike/Misc

I've really whittled down from what i used to have. There's a tackle store on the way to just about anywhere, so I don't carry a ton of terminal tackle, just the stuff I use heavily I keep "in stock" and bare essentials. For me, I know what works now and I key in on that. Things like: dragging a bottom bouncer until hitting a school of walleye then anchoring over them. Then we drop jigs and minnows in their faces. Once we find the size/color combo that works best we go with that until the fish turn off. Basically employ a "fine tuning" system. Yes color/size matter- not the be all to end all but once you're on fish you will find subtleties that make a significant difference.
I may buy more trays one day but don't really find a need to. I'm set up for perch/whitefish/walleye/pike and trout with 4 simple boxes. They are all compartmentalized to prevent mixing/spilling. Ziplock baggies are vital to retain bottom bouncers, apex lures, willow leaf gang trolls etc... by saving them from snagging around each other. I've saved a lot of $ preserving what I have instead of getting frustrated with a gnarled up $5 rig and chucking it out. I am super happy with my gear. There's always a little room to try new tactics. The side pouches on the bag absorb the pliers/tape measure/spare line/flashers etc.... I feel way better knowing I'm heading to the lake fully equipped instead of lamenting about the things I left behind. No more massive box filled with 10 year old lures I don't use. I am constantly purging and organizing. I really believe simplifying it has lead to not only more fish but better quality ones.
Enjoy
Shimano Bag]
The first year when I started my own purge, I fished the entire season with a couple simple bait rigs, a half oz 5 of diamonds, and a smaller one for trout. I had a great season, I caught lots of fish and plenty of good sized ones. With the exception of lake trout and sturgeon I caught pretty much every Alberta game species.

For some reason I just really never learned to like tackle bags, IMO they don't have enough bulk storage for the more bulky terminal items.

What I'd like would be like a slightly bigger version of my trout tackle. I have a little box of spoons, spinners, and flys that I can put in my pocket when I fish streams. That little box fits into an ancient metal lunchbox that contains floats, willow leaf trollers, and some other things that I might want when I'm out in the boat.

I think anyone who fishes with kids can benefit from using less tackle. If you have a big box full of shiny hooks a kid will cycle through them every few casts. If you have a couple different colors of spoons and a few jigs then they actually keep those hooks in the water and catch fish. Its worth mentioning that you can learn a lot about yourself from watching your kids.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-07-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:19 AM

I have multiple trays as well and similarly do it on a per species sort of basis. I tried sorting by technique/lures but that doesn't work and always was forgetting something. Since I use a kayak space is a minimum so each tray is packed to the brim, I have to fight with tangles at times but that is only a slight inconvenience.

I have 2 large shallow trays for crankbaits that I use for walleye/pike, got a handful of jigs and spoons mixed in. I have these sorted so that if I want to use crankbaits for trout I only have to take one of the trays. These trays are overfull and as I add new ones I cull out the ones I never/rarely use.

Then I have a large deep tray that I have my bottom bouncing gear in. I use a lindy rigger to keep spinner rigs neat and it fits perfectly in the large deep plano. Also have a variety of jigs in this tray and some soft plastics.

Next is a deep tray for big pike lures, bought a few more of them though so might have to make 2 trays up but will try to keep it in one.

Also have a deep tray with laker lures. A small guide series plano box that I have my sturgeon/river tackle in and a plano mini tackle box with small gear for perch, trout, whitefish etc.

I keep my terminal tackle, extra line, leaders, floats, scale, knife, pliers etc in a little tackle box.

Also have 3 fly boxes one with leeches/nymphs/chironomids, one with dry flies and one with streamers.

And not to be forgotten I also have other trays, tackle boxes and gear for salmon, bottom fishing, bass and florida species. There are some specific lures in those kits but I also steal stuff from my other kits if I go on one of those trips.

I like my system and it works good for me. I can often get away with only needing the tackle box and 2-3 trays and I keep the rest in my vehicle throughout the season so I always have it with me if I change plans on the fly.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:52 AM

Throw a little desiccant pack in your box/tray to absorb humidity.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:21 PM

Here's how I've got mine, post cull. On the right is what I use for pike and walleye when bank fishing. IMO bank fishing is best done with bait, to keep your offering in the strike zone as long as possible, so this box mostly contains terminal tackle.

In the middle is what I use when fishing out of the boat for pike and walleye. In keeping with the "3 proven presentations" thing I've got jigs, crankbaits, and trolling spinners for walleye. Spoons, rattle baits, and spinner baits take care of pike pretty good and there is a little bit of terminal tackle for fishing bait if I need to.

The lunchbox on the left has all the tackle I need for trout, and the blue box has a good selection of spoons, spinners, and nymphs. In the event I am stream fishing I can just put the blue box and a pair of pliers in my pocket and start hiking. This is more or less the direction I would like to go with all of my tackle.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Throw a little desiccant pack in your box/tray to absorb humidity.
I like the hydro flow plano trays(the ones with air holes). Only thing that is a little bit annoying is how the hooks will sometimes pop out through a hole.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:27 PM

Anyone else using the Plano Elite Crankbait boxes? I have a few and really like them.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Default Tackle Box Tips

I too have migrated from the Monster Tackle Box to the Plano 3700 series boxes. Way better system, lighter and simpler. I move them from my back pack to my ice fishing bins or just take one if I am targeting fish from shore. I like your idea for the crank baits. I will be borrowing that idea. Thanks SS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170307_193433.jpg (40.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 05:04 AM

Default Tackle box tips - Post them up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
I like your idea for the crank baits. I will be borrowing that idea. Thanks SS.

Thanks for the credit, but I simply posted a couple pics of an idea I read elsewhere. I'm not that creative in reality! Haha.

SS

Old 03-08-2017, 07:45 AM

Another good one for spinner rigs such as the Lindy, is small twist ties to keep the line looped together when storing.
Retractable lanyards with nail clippers on them make re-tying a breeze too.
I've gleaned quite a bit from this thread. Keep it rolling and hopefully some will come out of the woodwork and add to it