Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

Default Travers Reservoir questions

I see that it is now open. Last fall there was alot of work being done down at the SE dam heading to Little Bow Reservoir and the water level in Travers had been drawn down a lot.

Is the water levelback up yet?

Anyone fish there yet for Walleye?

Is it worth going down there yet? (it is a 2 hr drive for me)

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Haven't been there this year but am heading down tomorrow for a few days of pre-fishing as their is a SAWT tournament this weekend,might want to find a different lake as it gets pretty busy at the launch.....

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM

i was there on opening day and the water to me is low. i checked out the dam itself and to see the progress and looking at the water line on the rocks the lake is down alot like 4 maybe 5 feet ish. i only saw one keeper walleye caught (52 cm ) and my keeper pike at ( 83cm) overall kinda slow and the water clarity was not all the great.had a few knibbles on dew worms and caught fish on minnows.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 PM

spend about 5 hours in Travers today, water clarity is good but water level is little low.i didn't fish by the camp ground and dam area, not a single bite (neither others) and home with brushed ego.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM

sunday ,spend 4h no fish , go home sleep
Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM

I am sure things will turn around there by the weekend..
Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Ah really? You guys need to think like a fish. We caught nearly 50 fish, lots of different sizes. Yes the water level is a bit lower, but they are adding to the level as we speak. You people that caught nothing...did you try the spillway???
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Buddies headed out for the opener and caught one small pike for the entire day on the water. They left disgruntled. They don't put in the time you do Musty to ensure a successful trip!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Ah really? You guys need to think like a fish. We caught nearly 50 fish, lots of different sizes. Yes the water level is a bit lower, but they are adding to the level as we speak. You people that caught nothing...did you try the spillway???
yes.south the old spillway and north side of new spillway.there's few people there too and 2-3 boats.i didn't see any catch fish either.will be back in couple weeks.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Don't forget the SAWT Tourney is upcoming. Not sure if it is this upcoming weekend or the next. Gonna be busy at the Launch with the Tourney boats ! Not to mention the Lake also.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Yes it is this weekend the 15th and 16th, the launch and parking lot will be full but it is a big lake and lots of fish...
Have fun and stay safe..
nicemustang..post you spots so i know where to go on the weekend
Old 05-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Not a chance lol....you in the tourney gramps? I'm supposed to be but can't anymore, oh well wait until Chin.

Can't believe they weren't biting at the spillway. Never made it that way but that's got to be good for a few. Weird.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:43 PM

Default travers

Went to Travers on Mon, fished all the way up the finger at the little bow campground end 2 soft bites. We fished the spillway from about 4pm to 9pm caught 2 mist afew very slow water was anywhere from 44 to 50 dg. All the fish we caught were around 17", water was fairly clear and very little wind.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Nice
yes I am fishing this weekend, not sure how the rest of the guys were fishing but I had no trouble finding them and for the most part catching them...
this will be the warm up for Chin, may favourite one of the summer..
g
Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 AM

Anyone been to Travers later? How's the water level?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Went to Travers today for the first time, didn't realize how much the water level would drop, or that water in the spillway would be totally cut off. Trolled everything (including live baits) for about 4 hours around the dam/spillway, all the way back to the other two SW/SE legs of the lake without a single bite. Was 20 feet off shore and my prop was chewing into sand. A guy was casting from shore and didn't seem to get any bites either. Not sure what this place is like in the summer but I probably wouldn't return. All the 30+ lb pike from 2008/2009 that are in pictures on a google images search leads me to think a lot of trophy fish weren't put back in this water and maybe aren't there anymore.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Lots of big fish still in the reservoir... Could of been numerous reasons why you weren't successful besides "there aren't any fish in the lake"- fluctuating water levels/temperature, fluctuating weather patterns, method of fishing, presentation, etc. But believe me... Still plenty of GOOD fish in there.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Can you still launch a decent sized boat in there or are all of the launches to far out of the water?

PS. This is a 2 year old thread.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Not sure about the public launch at the provincial park, I launched off a private launch closer to the spillway and the water level was at its lowest level there (the last cement block of the launch was only in about 4 inches of water). I probably wouldn't try to put anything in there until the spillway opens back up and the water level rises.

As far as bait presentation, I was using the same rig I've always used and always hooked up on pike/muskies before with it. On a different day, maybe a different result.

On another note, there was at least 100 geese and some variety of diving duck, couldn't get close enough to identify before spooking them. Not my favorite birds but if that's your thing you'd know where to go.