Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Default Finishing Dilema...

Have recently removed the Finish( chemical remover ) from a model 70 winchester. The rifle dates to about mid 70's to early 80's and has a beautiful wood, I beleive its black wallnut possibaly. The dilema is that True oil/ from Casey birchwood seems to have some color to it, I'm not sure. Iwould like to preserve and protect the origional color of this wood, without darkening it. The rifle has the black front with a peice peice of white filler between the wood and black stock front. I would also like it to have more of a dull/satin finish, rather that a shiny/ glossy one. Would like to find out what kind of finish would best suit my needs for the finish and look I want. I am also planning on having the rifle glass bedded after it is refinished. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to readers expertise. And if you have pictures,don't be afraid to send them. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:14 PM

I would suggest trying a bit of the oil on the inside of the barrel channel to see if that is the finish you are looking for, i have used the birchwood casey oil and i dont think it has much color to it, gives the rifle a satin finish, depending on how many coats you do, be sure to rub the rifle with steel wool in between coats to remove any imperfections.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:10 PM

I have finished a few rifles with the Birchwood casey gun oil...You should be fine as the oil can be manipulated fairly easily....

Like the above poster mentioned just make sure you have properly sanded the wood prior as well as spending the time with 0000 steel wool in between coats.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornuteo View Post
Have recently removed the Finish( chemical remover ) from a model 70 winchester. The rifle dates to about mid 70's to early 80's and has a beautiful wood, I beleive its black wallnut possibaly. The dilema is that True oil/ from Casey birchwood seems to have some color to it, I'm not sure. Iwould like to preserve and protect the origional color of this wood, without darkening it. The rifle has the black front with a peice peice of white filler between the wood and black stock front. I would also like it to have more of a dull/satin finish, rather that a shiny/ glossy one. Would like to find out what kind of finish would best suit my needs for the finish and look I want. I am also planning on having the rifle glass bedded after it is refinished. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to readers expertise. And if you have pictures,don't be afraid to send them. Thanks in advance for your input.
i would suggest glassbedding first then finishing stock.use tung oil instead of truoil will give you a more low lustre hand rubbed finish that i think you are looking for.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

For sure, do the beeding work before the finishing work as Bob suggests. Spend the time on the wood finishing, sanding down to 320 grit and then "whisking". Get a superb fine finish before you apply the coat whichever you choose. Tru Oil can be worked to a semi-gloss. For satin finish, I use Polyurethane satin finish.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom gunworx View Post
i would suggest glassbedding first then finishing stock.use tung oil instead of truoil will give you a more low lustre hand rubbed finish that i think you are looking for.
Be aware that tung oil can leave quite a long lasting odor on wood. You may want to test on another piece of wood and see if the product you choose in the end carries with any lasting scent.

cutthroat
Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

The top one is done in Polyurethane satin, bottom one done in Tru-Oil.