Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2007, 04:45 AM
-NDN-

Default have you bought one of these for your kids??

man oh man, Roland martin endorsed, but will you ever see one in his boat???

just might be the ticket to keep kids intrested in fishing at a young age and keep them from getting bored to quickly. Seen them at Walmart
V
V
V
V
Click me, c'mon, i dare ya lol

can you say "Oooops, didnt mean to hook into a 20 pound pike"

Old 06-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Gamehunter

Default Ha Ha

".

Last edited by Gamehunter; 07-22-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:59 AM

Might be worth a try, who knows, you might want to keep it for yourself.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:22 AM

All I had was a stick, binder twine, a safety pin and a lug nut for weight.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:34 AM

i bought two!!!both my kids have them...the 3 and 5 year olds love them..makes it easy for them to fish...my 5 year old can handle a regular rod but loves the rocket...they tangle every once in a while but so do all of them..i would recommend them to any one with kids!!
rob
Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Gone Hunting

All i can envision when i see this unit, is a kid about to cast a bait rig out there, the shot, and bait flying everywhere!!!!!!!! I never saw this one coming. What was wrong with starting the old way, and teaching the kid coordination, and problem solving, and all the things that come with going fishing.

keep a strain on er, packhuntr.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:36 PM
-NDN-

i cant really see my self buying one of these for my son, but its intresting. My son will start on a Quantum Energy E10PTi-A, with a 6 foot med/light action Quantum PT tour rod. its already waiting for him in the rod rack. im hoping by next summer it will be in his hands catching fish for him. for now he just likes helping me reel in my rods, lol

I dont like Spincasters, or under-Spins. I started on a Closed face spincaster, and i wish my parents started me on spinning, but 30 years ago, what can you do. I think open faced spinning is the way to go, spend a few more bucks and get some bells and whistles to reduce tackle troubles and increase the fishing experience.

Last edited by -NDN-; 06-09-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Boy don't like

My 7 year old son won't have anything to do with it. He prefers what mom(me) uses. I just taught him surf casting last year and the little bugger can really fling em' out there. When he seen the commercial, he said that it doesn't cast far enough.

Him and I will be moving to Red Deer permanently in August, and I want to take him with me when I go fishing for my first pike. We just catch salmon and trout out here, so a pike would be great!

Anyone remember that Popel pocket fisherman they had in the 70's?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:56 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
My 7 year old son won't have anything to do with it. He prefers what mom(me) uses. I just taught him surf casting last year and the little bugger can really fling em' out there. When he seen the commercial, he said that it doesn't cast far enough.

Him and I will be moving to Red Deer permanently in August, and I want to take him with me when I go fishing for my first pike. We just catch salmon and trout out here, so a pike would be great!

Anyone remember that Popel pocket fisherman they had in the 70's?

Just salmon and trout?? son of a....... You moving to red deer opens the door to some great fishing all around you, and also half way from the good calgary area stuff, and the edmonton area stuff. RDR is known for its rockies and big browns, great goldeye runs, your gonna be set. Plus you have some awesome lakes at your doorstep.

if i lived in red deer, id be on sylvan or Gull lakes everyday during ice season.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 AM

Default trout

Actually, that's just what him and I caught together here. I'm an avid steelheader, and I go for these ocean run rainbows usually in January (TON'S OF RAIN). I've also tried halibut fishing, and have caught all kinds of wierd sea creatures.

Last weekend we were at Barnet Beach, and I was talking to this old philipino fisherman. I looked down to see this real nice purple starfish, so I picked it up and brought it over to my boy. I flipped it over to show him the little legs they use for walking, and that kid was delighted to hold a live starfish!

Too bad we have to move away from the coast, but when my boy is grown, I'm returning to buy a sailboat. I'm gonna become a coastal nomad and live on my boat!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:04 PM

I just bought one today at Canadian tire. I think my 3 year old will have some fun with it. I sure would have at that age!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:11 PM

Default 20lb pike

I wouldent be sad if a 20lb pike took it from my son Yah he might have fun with it but he has fun with a normal spinning reel and rod(lost one to a pike when he was 3)He can cast ok now at 4, but he couldent if he had one of these.
You could shoot your buddy with it though if he out fishes you.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Being just on the other side of little kids (Twins 11 and and a 9 year old), for me excessive dummying down was counter productive, if they can't cast chances are the whole experience is lost on them anyway. Now getting proper gear for there size and easier to use that makes sense.

Sure you can give them a rocket and take them to the trout pond the day after stocking and what will they learn, nothing. Give them real gear in a place where there are good number of fish where they independantly catch fish and you will get a fisherman.

I remember a couple of years ago when the first one fell to the the fishing bug it was tough that year, but he stuck it out and ended up landing one of the few fish that week, the pride of accomplishment had him off of the ground for days. Now I had been hauling him out for years and he had caught his share of tout pod fish prior but he did not become a fisherman till he caught that fish.

Growth comes from the struggle remove the struggle and remove the growth.

FWIW If the boat is floating he is in it. This last May long we ran into a lot of willing pike, now the other two are not far behind.