Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Chinook and Sockeye Rods?

im going out to kamloops with a buddy in about a week for some chinnook and hopefully they open the open the sockeye if theres a strong run.

Anyway what kind of a rod and reel would be decent for around $120
It needs to be able to spool around 250-300 yards or braid 40lb

Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 PM

It's not a $120 combo but I have this unit you can borrow if you return it with braid on it. You sure 20 - 30lb braid wouldn't be enough? Would cast further. Either way it will take 300 yds of 40lb braid.

Might be overkill for sockeye but will handle a 60lb springer.

Penn spinning reel with Shimano 8' med/heavy fast action rod.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Banned

for sockeye get a baitcaster and around a 9ft casting rod id give you mine for cheap but the tip snapped around 10" down
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM

I would rethink the braid thing ......salmon have soft mouths and the no stretch braid will rip hooks out, mono in 25 or 30 lb should be pleanty if you get into springs 40lb ultragreen as a leader is all you will need.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I would rethink the braid thing ......salmon have soft mouths and the no stretch braid will rip hooks out, mono in 25 or 30 lb should be pleanty if you get into springs 40lb ultragreen as a leader is all you will need.
if youre fishing a rocky river flossing and bottom bouncing, braid is a must. you can loser a lot of gear really quickly. in the skeena river i used 80lb test and i could flip rocks
Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmyfishingshow View Post
if youre fishing a rocky river flossing and bottom bouncing, braid is a must. you can loser a lot of gear really quickly. in the skeena river i used 80lb test and i could flip rocks
Flossing????
who does that, isnt it against the law?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM

wow you guys already know what im gonna be doing.
im gonna be flossing and bottom bouncing. with spin and glows and big weightes.

thanks but no thanks tackle.
neils got certan spes he knows alot of places with 80+ tyee's.
he said get a med-heavey or heavey 8ft+ with 40lb+ braid.
i think ill half to go get one from wholesale with the coupons i got
thanks anyway
Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Probably the most common set up for bottom bouncing is a 10 1/2 - 12 ft casting (not spinning) rod and a good sized reel (abu garcia 6500C4 is what I use). 20-25 lbs mono is very popular as it's the rod you use to land salmon, not just trying to yard them in with 50# test. The length of the rod is also important due to the leader length you will be using. I will be tying up a bunch of 10 footers on 20lb test tonight.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM

Chinook

10 1/2 foot or 12 foot heavy action for spin and glow's

#30 or #40 braid.

Triple swivel

6 inches of #17 mono to a Bar weight 4 to 6 ounce depending on current.

3 to 5 foot leader of #25 or #30 depending on mainline, spin and glo, bead, 1/0 sharp hook, with a small rubber squid (hoochie) over hook shaft.

Sockeye

9 to 10 1/2 medium action rod. Spinning or bait caster. #20 mainline tied to triple swivel.

6 inches of #17 strung thru 3 to 4 inches of rolled lead. Rolled lead has a hole in the middle cut a length and place over the line and crimp with pliers.

#1 or 1/0 hook with bait loop and pink or chartreuse floss.

1 in 500 sockeye will actively strike a lure or fly, the rest are just swimming into your line and your are hooking them in the side of the mouth. That's flossing and it's legal in BC. Just have to hook them above the gill plate anywhere on the head.

Have fun.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i think ill half to go get one from wholesale with the coupons i got
thanks anyway
Which coupons are they giving away right now?? Did you get these recently?

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Which coupons are they giving away right now?? Did you get these recently?
got em from my buddy that works there.
20 bucks off from purchases over 100 and i get free line
Old 08-10-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Dude flossing is against the law in Canada don't know that I would be admitting to it or posting a discription on your youtube fishing show.

Not that I know anything about flossing but I would think 80lb test braid is too heavy to floss with anyway.

If a guy does run braid he better be using a long mono leader.And I would still think a 30 - 40 lb main line is plenty.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dude flossing is against the law in Canada don't know that I would be admitting to it or posting a discription on your youtube fishing show.

Not that I know anything about flossing but I would think 80lb test braid is too heavy to floss with anyway.

If a guy does run braid he better be using a long mono leader.And I would still think a 30 - 40 lb main line is plenty.

we used a 9 ft 40 lbs mono leader
and we were shown how to floss by the local tackle shop. (copper river tackle shop)
and we've been checked by Fisheries so im really sure its okay
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
we used a 9 ft 40 lbs mono leader
and we were shown how to floss by the local tackle shop. (copper river tackle shop)
and we've been checked by Fisheries so im really sure its okay
I am well awhere of the techniques used and it is still illegal and all foul hooked fish ...ex: any fish without a hook not inside the mouth should be released. That is where this tactic is most illegal.
The hardest part about flossing is it hard to prove none the less illegal though. It defidently aint very fair chase / sportsman like.

Im not trying to crap on you here bud as it seems you are a young fellow who enjoys the outdoors with his family....

Mike
Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I am well awhere of the techniques used and it is still illegal and all foul hooked fish ...ex: any fish without a hook not inside the mouth should be released. That is where this tactic is most illegal.
The hardest part about flossing is it hard to prove none the less illegal though. It defidently aint very fair chase / sportsman like.

Im not trying to crap on you here bud as it seems you are a young fellow who enjoys the outdoors with his family....

Mike
well do you wanna share some tactics cause the guy im going with is very knolagable. and said flossing and bottom bouncing is ideal and its what he does.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 AM

I dont river fish so I don't have any tactics to share and I don't doubt flossing works and is used as a common tactic but that doent mean that its not illegal.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan View Post
I dont river fish so I don't have any tactics to share and I don't doubt flossing works and is used as a common tactic but that doent mean that its not illegal.
Sorry this was posted by me .....at my fathers house ...used his computer.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM

better go with a fenwick or G Loomis.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM

BTW check the river before you go they may still be blown out around there . if the fish have trouble seeing it they wont hit it. because they arent there to feed
Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Fish Hunter7,

I am in Kamloops.
If you send me a good fishing report from an Alberta stream with good pictures I will take you to a place to catch chinook. (I can only do it on a Saturday or Sunday and it will be early morning fishing 5AM-7AM thing.

The rods depend on what method of fishing you prefer. Mine is a spinning rod of 9' 10-25Lb test for chucking large spinners. I have used much lighter rods too with some success.

Sockeye is not likely to be open this year; the big run was last year, you could have caught any number you wished for in a day.

This year we expect the pinks in September.

Give me a call if you are around today or tomorrow (for some fishing this Saturday - Aug 13). (250-377-5755)
Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 PM

I read some more of the posts and will give you a bit more general info.

Most anglers around Kamloops fish for chinook with a bottom bouncing set-up (a heavy long casting rod, lines of over 20LB test and big pieces of lead under a three way swivel. On a leader under the swivel they attach either a F.S.T. #5 spoon or a spin'n'glo

(a little picture on the bottom of this page)
http://www.troutsalmonchar.com/Pages...IN_CHINSAL.php

Sockeye are usually flossed in a similar way by most anglers. The only difference in the rig is, the leader may be longer and at the end of it there is just a hook with some yarn on it; no lure.

I fish for sockeye with a float rod and a centerpin; other guys have used fly rods with sink tips. These two methods are much better as you will not be snagging that much and the only loss may be a couple of hooks. I use 6lb fluorocarbon leaders for sockeye although you lose fish once in a while. A 8LB leader will result in much fewer hook-ups.

To be successful you need to know the habits of these fish - where they swim and in which areas they are vulnerable.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 PM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmfqiOQRkdQ