Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM

Question Lac La Biche

Well seems like Cold Lake is full for Camping so off to Lac La Biche Sir Winston Churchill Park for 3 days. Anyone have any tips and hot spots that I can take my kids to for catching Fish any sort will work for them. I will be in a boat so not an issue, bait type as well, also will I require a separate fishing license for the Provincial Park? Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 PM

No you won't need a special license. Your Alberta Sportsfishing license is good everywhere in the province except the National Parks.

As for the lake I can't help you. I'm heading up there with Mrs. Willowtrail in a couple weeks. Hope you have lots of luck.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 PM

Thanks for the info on the license..Regs are in the baot and baot is packed up.. 3 days of fishing and well hopefully fun.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:30 AM

i stayed at winston church hill park this weekend. its nice. never fished laclabiche lake though. i went to touchwood lake half hour up the road. good fishing.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks may give it a try..Touchwoood a try.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 PM

Well I booked my campsite for Sunday. I hope to fish Lac La Biche but may head over to Buffalo. Has anyone fished the lake?

I know it's quite a large body of water and don't have a huge boat. I will be staying on the side near the campground (Sir Winston Churchill). I'm not too interested in the pike but may troll for some and try and hammer some monsters. I want to target Perch for dinner and Walleye for C&R. I'll be looking for drop offs and ledges for the eyes and weedbeds for the perch.

Are there any located withing a few km of the campground? If so which direction. I don't need your holes just a direction to look for them.

As for the boat launch. I see its on the roadway out to the campground with parking. I may park and take the boat out everynight. I looks like theres a few bridges on the roadway over the lake. Can I drive my small tiller boat under the bridges or do I have to drive around the island?

Thanks in advance all.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Well I booked my campsite for Sunday. I hope to fish Lac La Biche but may head over to Buffalo. Has anyone fished the lake?

I know it's quite a large body of water and don't have a huge boat. I will be staying on the side near the campground (Sir Winston Churchill). I'm not too interested in the pike but may troll for some and try and hammer some monsters. I want to target Perch for dinner and Walleye for C&R. I'll be looking for drop offs and ledges for the eyes and weedbeds for the perch.

Are there any located withing a few km of the campground? If so which direction. I don't need your holes just a direction to look for them.

As for the boat launch. I see its on the roadway out to the campground with parking. I may park and take the boat out everynight. I looks like theres a few bridges on the roadway over the lake. Can I drive my small tiller boat under the bridges or do I have to drive around the island?

Thanks in advance all.

I fish lac la biche more often that any other. Its not really a walleye lake, but its a great pike lake. Although right now the water is in full algae bloom so depending on the wind it might look like pea soup or it might just be slightly green. I've learned when the algae is thick, don't bother fishing.

I don't know where the walleye are, but all around churchill island is great for pike. I don't know where the perch are in the summer, but in the winter I catch piles of them. SOmetimes you get some 14 inchers.

you can drive under the bridge to the island.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the tips. If I can find the perch I'll send you the gps location. This is my first time out there and I will probably only go once a year.

Gotta love that algae in Alberta. I may have to target Pike and Perch then.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 PM

For your c&r walleye, try the dropoffs around the small island that is 2.5 kms East North East from the causeway boat launch.

Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Willowtrail.
I just finished camping at Lac La Biche for 3 days and fishing. Came home yesterday. There was no green alge on the lake yet. As for Walleye well some people were catching them , me no luck but in one day my wife and I caught 12 Jacks ranging from 23 Inch and up to 35 Inch (average was 25 Inches) caught them on Rattlin Raps Blue Shad, Chrome blue and Baby Bass Rapala trolled around 2.4mphto 2.8mph. If you lanch your boat at the only launch before the park. Turn left and troll in about 12ft of water and troll aolng the left side (park side) until you get to the public beach. Great times were had by all. I went around the public beach to Peligan Island very weedy and changes depth fast from 30ft to 3ft quick so becareful. Enjoy and hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to find the perch. Pretty tough to find in the summer. As someone already suggested, try trolling around the small island northeast of SWCPP for walleye and cast on the edge of weed beds around the island and around the north shore for pike. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 AM

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. Looks like I'll hit the island and weedlines and drop offs. Anyone else going to be out there? 7th -12th?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM

What do you guys find works best for the LLB pike (spoons, cranks, jigs, etc)? Also, are there a few others of these good pike spots that you guys could provide directions to? It would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 PM

I was using a red and white williams wabler there and it worked great for me. That was at the north west part of the lake though.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 PM

Getting ready to pack for this trip. The weather is starting to look good for the week. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Anyone else have any tips. The ones so far have been great. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 AM

I found Rattling Raps worked best for me a Lac La Biche..Silver and Blue with redish underside and the Baby Bass Rapala worked great.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:22 PM

Got out this afternoon but nonluck yet. Trolled rapalas in 15-25' but nothing.

Going back out this evening and will try the shallows out front of camp.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM

We got out today and I found the perch. We kept 4 between 7 - 9 1/4". We had some get off on the way up and lost some on the set. Fished in 25' and had a nice meal. Going back to the same spot tomorrow. Used slip bobbers and small jigs with maggots.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
We got out today and I found the perch. We kept 4 between 7 - 9 1/4". We had some get off on the way up and lost some on the set. Fished in 25' and had a nice meal. Going back to the same spot tomorrow. Used slip bobbers and small jigs with maggots.

willowtrails perch
Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 PM

Well Mrs. Willow Trail and myself spent a few days out at Lac La Biche. We got skunked on Monday. Almost cried. But then as Horsetrader showed we found some Perch Tuesday. Weds and thurs were also great days. We landed loads of Perch on the trip and nothing else. We tried for pike and nothing. Did some work with the sonar and wammo, the slip bobber went under and I knew we were on them. Tried the sme spot today and things were slow. I searched and searched and only got a few. Moved halk a km away and got on a nice shelf and bamm, more nice ones. Here's some pics from the week.

The lines on the bottom are the schools.

We brought one of our dogs out Monday evening.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Old 08-12-2011, 12:53 AM