Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2009, 03:51 PM

You cant go wrong with a Crestliner, Lund or Alumicraft and aluminum hull. Especially if you are beaching your boat regularly( dont know to many guys that beach there fiberglass boats though). Those are 3 of the best, and there are a couple of others. Just shop around, sit in a few and picture yourself fishing in it. Would it be comfortable to fish from? Such as, are rod holder positions easily accessable(and will you have to install them). Storage-never enough, room for tackle etc. The 3 I mentioned offer very fishable boats and it just comes down to personal opinion/choice and of course money. Good luck and good shopping.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

Of course I am a Lund man.. Yes you can buy cheaper but do you want to.. When you are spending this kind of money at least you can try and get your moneys worth. But this is not to say the rest are junk its all personnel preference and how you maintain them.. One thing I will tell you //// DO NOT GET CARPET IN YOUR BOAT. Why a manufacturer that builds a boat for fishing puts carpet in them I have no idea. Fish slime and carpet just don't mix. Get a plastic or nylon covered floor,, trust me.

Good luck..
Old 09-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Of course I am a Lund man.. Yes you can buy cheaper but do you want to.. When you are spending this kind of money at least you can try and get your moneys worth. But this is not to say the rest are junk its all personnel preference and how you maintain them.. One thing I will tell you //// DO NOT GET CARPET IN YOUR BOAT. Why a manufacturer that builds a boat for fishing puts carpet in them I have no idea. Fish slime and carpet just don't mix. Get a plastic or nylon covered floor,, trust me.

Good luck..
that is very good advice i would also make sure of galvanized trailer with surge brakes and if 150hp+ add power steering. stay away from a boat with carpet on the gunnels as well those will be very hard to keep clean.i am a lund guy as well (18ft pro-v 175hp). cheers
Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 AM

I bought a Tracker boat this year 16WT model. Cost about 25K - for all the features it was probably 10K cheaper then a comparable Lund. Easy to buy and get serviced with Bass Pro Shops.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetterm39 View Post
that is very good advice i would also make sure of galvanized trailer with surge brakes and if 150hp+ add power steering. stay away from a boat with carpet on the gunnels as well those will be very hard to keep clean.i am a lund guy as well (18ft pro-v 175hp). cheers
Unless you plan on stepping on the guwhales to get into your boat. I have carpet on the gunwhales and it stays clean, no problem and no slipping. I agree with the carpet on the floor though. I would have snap in carpet or none at all on my next boat.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post

Good luck..
I love my Lund, so I agree there, but I disagree on the carpet.

The Lund carpet is awesome. Hooks don't snag in it and it's amazingly stain resistant and easy to clean.

After a good weekend of sand, crawler dirt and fish slime, I just give it a good going over with the garden hose and it comes out clean as new. Any trouble spots get a little laundry soap or stain remover. Pull the plug and let the boat drain, leave the tarp off so it dries out, and you're done.

The removeable snap out carpet option might be worth a look, but I like the appearance, comfort and sound deadening affect of the carpet, and I wouldn't be without it.

Waxy
Old 09-14-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I love my Lund, so I agree there, but I disagree on the carpet.

The Lund carpet is awesome. Hooks don't snag in it and it's amazingly stain resistant and easy to clean.

After a good weekend of sand, crawler dirt and fish slime, I just give it a good going over with the garden hose and it comes out clean as new. Any trouble spots get a little laundry soap or stain remover. Pull the plug and let the boat drain, leave the tarp off so it dries out, and you're done.

The removeable snap out carpet option might be worth a look, but I like the appearance, comfort and sound deadening affect of the carpet, and I wouldn't be without it.

Waxy
X2 on the Carpet....

I can't believe how that stuff is so 'Snag-Proof'. Must be because it's not looped or something... My SMOKERCRAFT has the carpet as well and I love it. It's easy to keep clean and when I go fishing, I just unsnap the floor carpet and it pulls right out. Having said that, it's GREAT having carpet when you want to go blasting around on the lake or tubing with the family and friends ! The one thing I like about the SMOKERCRAFT is that there is no carpet on the gunnel and the inside carpet only starts AFTER the cushion along the middle and back-end.

If your boat was 100% fishing ONLY, then I would think that the 'Canadian' series boats from Crestliner would be perfect for that purpose alone..

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Hi .Few months ago I had the same questions and the guys from this forum
realy help me .My choice was Lund ,Crestliner Princescraft,Smokercraft.
I like Rainbow Marine ,Lund nice boat, but much more money to spend .
smokercraft was the cheapest and boat was OK.Only problem I heard, people
have with the service after purchase.Finally We get Crestliner ,16' Superhawk
90hp.2 stroke,full windshield and with full fisherman top,price was 23.000incl gst.We love boat. Good speed (38 mph ,some guys get 50 mph)I like slower drive ,
keep my hat and wig on.Ha Ha.Fast on the plain. Boat is raiting for 90 hp.
Some guys advise me ,its nothing worse than boat underpower , and not many people complain for the service from Free spirit Marine.Its your choice what you pick.All boats are good but remember if you buy a New boat,look for the future service. I wish you Luck to find a new Boat
Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 AM

Well, the boat has been purchased, went with a crestliner sport angler 1650, very happy with it and a big thanks to winch 101.