Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2009, 04:27 AM

the tag system is a joke and a bait ban is ridiculous. I agree that using jig's and minnows provide a source of food for the walleye that have basically eaten everything in the lake. might i remind you that a bait ban includes scented jigs etc. when is alberta going to wake up and go to slot limits like everywhere else? or are we too stupid to see that they work everywhere. why are we any different?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit_theice View Post
the tag system is a joke and a bait ban is ridiculous. I agree that using jig's and minnows provide a source of food for the walleye that have basically eaten everything in the lake. might i remind you that a bait ban includes scented jigs etc. when is alberta going to wake up and go to slot limits like everywhere else? or are we too stupid to see that they work everywhere. why are we any different?
lol
Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Default motorized boat ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Here folks I was able to get the data that was handed out at meetings and am posting it for everyone to view.
Been out on this lake several times very nice water early spring but by the time summer is in effect SO many boats out its getting ridiculous also the number of boats is definatly increasing the pollution and spread of algea blooms both from oxegen enrichmnt and people not cleaning there boats off when travelling to another lake. Im a boater myself but think pigion should start looking at a motorized boat ban for a few years to controll the alge and pollution before it gets any worse. last year it was closed to swimmers due to the alge. To many ski boats jet skis ect. Wont be long and that lake will be dead seen it happen in b.c then when its almost free of life they put a motor boat ban. battery motors ok canoes fine . you want to fish on a good lake then you might have to get some exercise. Alberta has some of the worst water management i have ever seen IM orig from northern b.c and you never see the lakes or rivers treated like they do here. Hopefully it gets better before it gets anyworse i wouldnt let my dog drink the water out here.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
. Alberta has some of the worst water management i have ever seen IM orig from northern b.c and you never see the lakes or rivers treated like they do here. Hopefully it gets better before it gets anyworse i wouldnt let my dog drink the water out here.
x2, i agree
Old 06-28-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
Been out on this lake several times very nice water early spring but by the time summer is in effect SO many boats out its getting ridiculous also the number of boats is definatly increasing the pollution and spread of algea blooms both from oxegen enrichmnt and people not cleaning there boats off when travelling to another lake. Im a boater myself but think pigion should start looking at a motorized boat ban for a few years to controll the alge and pollution before it gets any worse. last year it was closed to swimmers due to the alge. To many ski boats jet skis ect. Wont be long and that lake will be dead seen it happen in b.c then when its almost free of life they put a motor boat ban. battery motors ok canoes fine . you want to fish on a good lake then you might have to get some exercise. Alberta has some of the worst water management i have ever seen IM orig from northern b.c and you never see the lakes or rivers treated like they do here. Hopefully it gets better before it gets anyworse i wouldnt let my dog drink the water out here.

Algae Blooms are a NATURAL occurrence. Pollution is one thing but don't try and blame Pollution as the cause for ALGAE on a 'spring fed lake'. It happens ALL over Alberta and is 'particularly bad' in some of the LEAST used reservoirs and Lakes. If Pollution due to PWC was indeed the issue, how could you 'possibly' explain the difference between Sylvan Lake VS Pigeon Lake? The traffic on Sylvan Lake is at LEAST 10 times what it is on Pigeon !

Also, comparing a 'Northern BC lake' to an Albertan Lake is like comparing an apple to a 'Pomegranate'. The two just aren't even in the same ballpark...

Do you have any idea how many people would likely drown in Alberta Waters if they didn't have some kind of Motor to assist them in getting back to shore ? This is Flat Prairie with 'WINDSWEPT' lakes and no amount of electric motor will help you when the wind decides to blow....

Anglers per lake in Alberta ? >370 per lake
Anglers per lake in BC ? <10 per lake

I would think Alberta is doing a MUCH better job at managing their waters than the B.C. Government is.....

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 PM

fish-man has it right, there are lots of fish, big heads and small bodies, the fish are starving. This province should change the way they manage the fishing. A Ten Dollar tag on top of a fishing licience for one fish in a lake full of fish is not management, its a tax on fishermen. slimjim
Old 12-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Banned

ive seen hundreds of dead whitefish during the summer months floating on top but never ever once a dead walleye??? do they float to the bottom or smth lol?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
fish-man has it right, there are lots of fish, big heads and small bodies, the fish are starving. This province should change the way they manage the fishing. A Ten Dollar tag on top of a fishing licience for one fish in a lake full of fish is not management, its a tax on fishermen. slimjim
I agree with you
Old 01-16-2010, 11:18 PM

Ive fished pigeon since I had my first boat at 16, (am 22 now), and can definatly say that the walleye numbers are way up there from even 3 years ago. Pike are my primary target, and I used to catch quite a few in pigeon back then, and the only one I ever kept was my personal best, a 23 lber. Now with the walleye everywhere, targeting pike becomes almost impossible, as keeping skinny walleye off your lure almost gets annoying sometimes! I have to admit, I have felt bad at the end of the day when ice fishing, and thrown the rest of my smelts into the lake.... Even though I live very close to the lake, and enjoy boating and fishing there, I am definatly in favor of some type of complete closure to have it make a comeback. Either that, or have a short open season on the smaller walleye, and close the season for every other species.