1 x 63cm(25") - 76cm(30"), 1 x 76cm(30") - unlimited 9 8.33%
1 x 63cm(25") - 82cm(32"), 1 x 82cm(32") - 102cm(40") 3 2.78%
2 x 63cm(25") - 91cm(36") 7 6.48%
N/A I do not abide to the regulations. 6 5.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
introduce a new set of regs,,, LAKE SPECIFIC. How can a blanket set of regs work for all of Alberta's waters that hold pike????? ITS IMPOSSIBLE. Get some bio's out there, and get some sh*t done with this wreck of a province.
x2. The situation is different on every lake so they need to be dealt with differently. Each one evaluated then a set of regs determined to work toward the goal of maintaining or, better yet, improving the health of that body of water. Seeing to the health of a fishery requires some hard work and it's this type of lazy "one size fits all" approach to management that results in senseless regs and unhealthy fisheries, no matter how well your intentions. If you feel the need to impose personal limits on yourself, so long as they fall within the regulations, I commend you for your contribution to the sport, but I cant back any effort that would have the gov't putting even less effort into monitoring our fisheries.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningfreak View Post
x2. The situation is different on every lake so they need to be dealt with differently. Each one evaluated then a set of regs determined to work toward the goal of maintaining or, better yet, improving the health of that body of water. Seeing to the health of a fishery requires some hard work and it's this type of lazy "one size fits all" approach to management that results in senseless regs and unhealthy fisheries, no matter how well your intentions. If you feel the need to impose personal limits on yourself, so long as they fall within the regulations, I commend you for your contribution to the sport, but I cant back any effort that would have the gov't putting even less effort into monitoring our fisheries.
The message is beginning to become clearer; General Regs don't really work very well, need slot sizes; although you can't really compare SASK & AB fisheries, you can certainly take their theories and try apply them to your individual lake. Thanks for the post.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM

I'm actually surprised at the number of C&R responses this poll received.
Interesting...
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

Great thread! Nice to see there are alot of people who do in fact care about the future of our lakes!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM

I dont mean to highjack this thread by any means.. But a quick question with all the talk about spawning size, and so called "hens". I have heard the statement many times that "Big fish breed big fish". So do genes have a factor in the size of fish, or do fish all grow same rate just takes a long period to get bigger?
Bh1
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1 View Post
I dont mean to highjack this thread by any means.. But a quick question with all the talk about spawning size, and so called "hens". I have heard the statement many times that "Big fish breed big fish". So do genes have a factor in the size of fish, or do fish all grow same rate just takes a long period to get bigger?
Bh1
I will answer that. Big fish do not necessarily breed big fish. It's all about growth. The warmer the climate the quicker they grow and become sexually mature. So it is likely that a lake with numerous big fish in it is probably in a climate and environment that sustains quick growth. Genes are not a factor. So generally you are right. Lakes with plenty of big fish will likely produce quick growth rates and big fish. However, the few big ones in a lake of average size fish are still going to produce average size fish based on their environment.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Lakes devoid of big fish due to overharvest, (the apex predators), will not have big apex predators in thier future if we continue to persecute them. Remember, there is not supposed to be a rediculously high population of any predator in any system on planet earth, its unhealthy and has consequences. There needs to be a closure on these big fish. They are the ones that regulate the entire fishery in a healthy situation. Our desire to stunt every lake we have is sickening. Everyone keeps talking about the spawners,,, this is not where the problems lie. If there are pike, there is a sucessful spawn. The problems lie with stunting-(a population over what carrying capacity of the habitat is capable of supporting), due to overharvest of large fish, period. Blanket regs do not work. Some lakes are in greater peril than others and these problems need to adressed.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Lakes devoid of big fish due to overharvest, (the apex predators), will not have big apex predators in thier future if we continue to persecute them. Remember, there is not supposed to be a rediculously high population of any predator in any system on planet earth, its unhealthy and has consequences. There needs to be a closure on these big fish. They are the ones that regulate the entire fishery in a healthy situation. Our desire to stunt every lake we have is sickening. Everyone keeps talking about the spawners,,, this is not where the problems lie. If there are pike, there is a sucessful spawn. The problems lie with stunting-(a population over what carrying capacity of the habitat is capable of supporting), due to overharvest of large fish, period. Blanket regs do not work. Some lakes are in greater peril than others and these problems need to adressed.
Awesome points!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:22 PM

This thread has run it's course. Thank you for your input. See new thread "pike poll results"