Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Default (Yet Another) WSS Shopping Experience...

I know many of us, myself included, have ragged on WSS's service, albeit mostly at the gun counter, so I wanted to take a moment and give credit where credit is due.

I went in today to buy myself my first fishing rod, admittedly woefully inept as to what I was actually going to be buying, except for having a very basic understanding of the types of reels and rods available.

Lucky for me, Dan was there and up for the challenge. He set me up with a nice Ugly Stik that I'm sure will serve me very well, if not at least to get me started, it may also last me a long time. He then offered to load up the reel with line, a task I was not looking forward to doing myself, so I gratefully and readily took him up on the offer.

He asked where I would be fishing, and gave me a good selection of lures to get me started.

While he was walking down the isles pointing out some lures, he was also keeping an attentive eye on other customers that were in need of help. A quick "can I help you find something?" and verbally directing them where they could find what they sought, all while still devoting 99% of his time to help me I thought was very professional. He was absolutely giving 110% effort, where he could've just acted like he was already busy with a customer (me) and ignored them.

For taking the time to set up an absolute and admitted "newb", I just wanted to say thanks Dan, and I'll certainly be back to buy more stuff once I have a better idea of what I'll need .
Old 05-16-2010, 05:48 PM

I was there just the other day for just a few flies. Had 2 choices 1.50 a fly at BPS or 8 bucks a doz there. The guys there opened me up a new fly box and filled it with 5 doz flies for what ever lake I named. Ended up buying a fly tying kit and a hip pack for fishing as well. The guys were wicked have nothing but good things to say.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 05-16-2010, 08:07 PM
hunter49

If its the Dan I remember, he is very knowledgable in flyfishing as well. He use to work at russells before it closed, apparently he was part of the trade
Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 PM

Dan Quinn for Mayor. Awe never mind. His work at WSS is more important!! He is a good fellow. Rick.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 AM

Was in WSG edmonton this past week and service in the fishing dept was excellent.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 AM

I have always found the service, selection and advice in the fishing department of WSS Calgary to be good