Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Default Ghost Reservoir Past Cochrane

I did a search and there hasn't been any recent news on the Ghost Reservoir. Does anybody know how it is out there? Do you need a boat? Good fishing? If so, what to use?

There must be some massive fish in there, does anyone have stories or pics?

Last edited by Burns; 08-08-2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Mistake in Title
Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns View Post
I did a search and there hasn't been any recent news on the Ghost Reservoir. Does anybody know how it is out there? Do you need a boat? Good fishing? If so, what to use?

There must be some massive fish in there, does anyone have stories or pics?
Ghost Reservoir is just west of Chochrane, not Camore. Fishing is slow there but there is the odd good laker for sure. Guys catch fish at the west end from shore in the spring but access is a bit tough.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ghost Reservoir is just west of Chochrane, not Camore. Fishing is slow there but there is the odd good laker for sure. Guys catch fish at the west end from shore in the spring but access is a bit tough.
My mistake, I meant west of Cochrane. whoops!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:17 PM

You will find some say yes there is good fishing to be had there. But I would ask to see pics. Ghost has sent home many many fishermen empty handed. I would not attempt it with out a boat and even then bring your rosary. There are fish in Ghost. They just don't get caught very often. If you do a search on this forum for Ghost you will find lots of threads saying the same thing. Give it a shot, every man needs a dream. I'm just going to keep mine to Mariko and a float tube. But that's another story......

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM

pickeral rigs under bridges someone resently found out they work.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned

Default oh really

I recently spent from 6pm-1am using everything imaginable at ghost at all depths.

I spent 2hrs + at the bridge after dark with a pickeral rig using worms and smelts/minnows without a nibble. Both sides of the bridge.

"There are no fish in that lake."

Who recently had success there? I'd love to see the pics.

I have probably spent 20hrs fishing that lake and have watched at least 20 other fisherfolk go home without a bite.

My suggestion to anyone would be to try the north arm which reaches up towards the Ghost River inflow.

Good luck!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
I recently spent from 6pm-1am using everything imaginable at ghost at all depths.

I spent 2hrs + at the bridge after dark with a pickeral rig using worms and smelts/minnows without a nibble. Both sides of the bridge.

"There are no fish in that lake."

Who recently had success there? I'd love to see the pics.

I have probably spent 20hrs fishing that lake and have watched at least 20 other fisherfolk go home without a bite.

My suggestion to anyone would be to try the north arm which reaches up towards the Ghost River inflow.

Good luck!!!
I'll PM you a spot if you can help me with dog advice
Old 08-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Banned

Default hahaha

Well, with all the other options around and the rivers getting lower, I don't know if I can bring myself to go back.

Anyways,
How old is your dog?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well, with all the other options around and the rivers getting lower, I don't know if I can bring myself to go back.

Anyways,
How old is your dog?
I've got a post on Gen Discussion.

Go upstream on the Bow side not the Ghost River side, after the village I'll send the spot after I puke
Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
You will find some say yes there is good fishing to be had there. But I would ask to see pics. Ghost has sent home many many fishermen empty handed. I would not attempt it with out a boat and even then bring your rosary. There are fish in Ghost. They just don't get caught very often. If you do a search on this forum for Ghost you will find lots of threads saying the same thing. Give it a shot, every man needs a dream. I'm just going to keep mine to Mariko and a float tube. But that's another story......
Saw her at Cabelas, dannng, theres a dream worth dreaming.

I've heard about the same as everyone else about ghost, some big ones but they are near impossible to catch. If you want lakers, try spray?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 AM

3 outings on Ghost in March this year, and one lunker, I think it was worth it.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM

hmm. has ghost ever had a major past of lots of netting/catch and keeping or any natural disaster that could have caused a lack of fish?
It seems like a good lake but its hard to find the fish.
i know under the bridge with pickeral rigs work but to an extent.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

ghost isn't your typical lake/reservoir, there aren't any real tell tale signs of where fish are going to hang out,, and it's windy,, you could say the same for spray lakes but that lake has an uneven shore line with little bays for the shore fishers. Ghost is just a straight forward body and the fish/lakers are really well fed so if presentation isn't up to par then on to other meals, lotsa rockies in ghost too, figure out where they live and you'll find your king. Go more westward and you'll get into more species and bring a kite.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 PM
sheephunter

It's a flow through reservoir as well so the water changes in it often. It's a fairly sterile reservoir.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It's a flow through reservoir as well so the water changes in it often. It's a fairly sterile reservoir.
I wonder if the reservoir is becoming unsuitable as Laker habitat due to siltation.

The diminishing Laker population in Ghost may have more to do with trophic evolution than overfishing.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I wonder if the reservoir is becoming unsuitable as Laker habitat due to siltation.

The diminishing Laker population in Ghost may have more to do with trophic evolution than overfishing.
Possibly but I've never known it to be a great laker fishery. You can still catch them if you know what you are doing.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Possibly but I've never known it to be a great laker fishery. You can still catch them if you know what you are doing.
Not that I know what I'm doing.... but I catch a few 3-5 pounders every time out before New Years. It's a location thing.

They sure taste good coming out of the cold water.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM

cold, sterile waters produce few fish with slow growth rates, dont expect 100 fish days!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
cold, sterile waters produce few fish with slow growth rates, dont expect 100 fish days!
LOL...don't expect five fish days on the Ghost.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned

Default ya

dont expect fish days
Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
ghost isn't your typical lake/reservoir, there aren't any real tell tale signs of where fish are going to hang out,, and it's windy,, you could say the same for spray lakes but that lake has an uneven shore line with little bays for the shore fishers. Ghost is just a straight forward body and the fish/lakers are really well fed so if presentation isn't up to par then on to other meals, lotsa rockies in ghost too, figure out where they live and you'll find your king. Go more westward and you'll get into more species and bring a kite.
i pmed you
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM

ghost has fish if you go north to ghost river part right where the fast water meats the lake. i know for a fact the rainbows are there. if you get off your boat and walk around the bend u should have some luck. try a black wooly bugger or a pic rig with worms or minnows if no bait ban or just use what ever you use to catch trout in other rivers. an other thing and this is a very big one i mean schools over 1000 whitefish big. About the first week in October the white fish get in large schools the way to fish them is NOT dragging a hook across the center of the school. you need to predict where the school will be and not where it is. what works best would be a small fly ( i don't know what type) 6-10 feet off the bottom in clear water or a maggot under a bobber still 6-10 feet off the bottom. before and after this small window you wont have any luck in the lake part fore white fish .

thats all i know hope it helps.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little archer_99 View Post
ghost has fish if you go north to ghost river part right where the fast water meats the lake. i know for a fact the rainbows are there. if you get off your boat and walk around the bend u should have some luck. try a black wooly bugger or a pic rig with worms or minnows if no bait ban or just use what ever you use to catch trout in other rivers. an other thing and this is a very big one i mean schools over 1000 whitefish big. About the first week in October the white fish get in large schools the way to fish them is NOT dragging a hook across the center of the school. you need to predict where the school will be and not where it is. what works best would be a small fly ( i don't know what type) 6-10 feet off the bottom in clear water or a maggot under a bobber still 6-10 feet off the bottom. before and after this small window you wont have any luck in the lake part fore white fish .

thats all i know hope it helps.
it might be the first week of September, i cant find last years calender
Old 08-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
hmm. has ghost ever had a major past of lots of netting/catch and keeping or any natural disaster that could have caused a lack of fish?
It seems like a good lake but its hard to find the fish.
i know under the bridge with pickeral rigs work but to an extent.
Actually, to some degree, yes it has.

If you look up the water level data for the lake you can see that it was drained to a trickle about 20 years ago (early '90s).

This of course would have devastated any significant fish populations.

Why this body is not the target of a stocking program is beyond me.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Actually, to some degree, yes it has.

If you look up the water level data for the lake you can see that it was drained to a trickle about 20 years ago (early '90s).

This of course would have devastated any significant fish populations.

Why this body is not the target of a stocking program is beyond me.
thats awsome that you knew about that.
how come it was drained and i agree it should be stocked.

i think if there were going to do some stocking another kanaskis senario would be awsome.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Taking into consideration all the posts in this thread about its possible lack of nutrients.
AND!!!!
The fact its on one of the Finest trout streams in the world.
Do you really want to involve a stocking program?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Taking into consideration all the posts in this thread about its possible lack of nutrients.
AND!!!!
The fact its on one of the Finest trout streams in the world.
Do you really want to involve a stocking program?
if we stock species that we already got in there yes. except with the nutrents as you said theyre would probibly be a lack of baitfish which in return would cause smaller fish to stunt and/or no provide enough forage to the larger fish.