Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Default slip bobbering

Looking for a rod and reel recommendation for slip bobbering walleye. Total amount $200 and im planing on using 6# xl, id like the rod to be light or medium light. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
Looking for a rod and reel recommendation for slip bobbering walleye. Total amount $200 and im planing on using 6# xl, id like the rod to be light or medium light. Thanks.
quantumn split grips are great in the 6ft range for walleye with 8lb PLINE.

you can use just about every rod for slip bobbering walleyes
Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 PM

ok, which reel to get? The most important thing is there has to be plenty of room for the stopper knot to pass.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod247154.html

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod264203.html

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod264208.html

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod201186.html
Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
go with the sahara. i got the sonora its a bit less and better IMO smaller and better fit. the agility is also a great reel super smooth good drag,ect
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM

I would personally check something out longer then a 6 foot rod for slip bobbers. I use to run a 6 footer and have now went to a 7 foot berkley cherrywood. It is a pretty light weight lost cost rod that has so far done the trick for me. I like the longer rod for picking up slack quite a bit faster then a 6 foot rod can. As for a reel, I really like the pflueger presidents because they aren't all to expensive but are super smooth and seem to hold up pretty good.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 PM

IMO
7 footer is a bare minumum for slipbobber fishing......8-10 foot is best with slight parabolic action thru-out, or at the very least the top 2/3rds. Tall stand off guides to prevent light line blank slap.
I just bought nano because it floats like a cork.....good qaulities in a bobber line.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
IMO
7 footer is a bare minumum for slipbobber fishing......8-10 foot is best with slight parabolic action thru-out, or at the very least the top 2/3rds. Tall stand off guides to prevent light line blank slap.
I just bought nano because it floats like a cork.....good qaulities in a bobber line.
sorry im talkin about marina bay fishing where you seldom cast over 10feet.
i havent fished with anything past 7ft for alberta spinning
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
IMO
I am thinking about getting a couple rods similar to what you have explained before next season. I will also be putting some nanofil on them because of the floating potentials. I have never owned a rod over 7 feet long other then a fly rod so it will be interesting to use when I do find something I like in my price range.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
IMO
X2.

Great advice on the rod.

The reel is not as critical, just buy the best one you can afford in a 2500 size. I prefer the slightly larger reel to increase casting distance, reel up slack line quicker, and give a little more room for the bobber stop to go past the bail and lie on the spool.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM

I personally don't think the Nanofil is a good line for slip floating because it is very thin and very slick, the bobber stop is not going to hold.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGuy07 View Post
I personally don't think the Nanofil is a good line for slip floating because it is very thin and very slick, the bobber stop is not going to hold.
mine must be the special nano...holds just fine
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Good to know, thank you! I have the 10lb test but was afraid to use it. Now I will Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGuy07 View Post
Good to know, thank you! I have the 10lb test but was afraid to use it. Now I will Thanks again!
one trick i do since the invent of all these slippery super lines, is to boil my dacron spool for 1 minute.

good luck fishing