Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 PM

Default Birthday Wish (Trunk Road advice)

Hey guys, for some reason i never get much response when i post here but its my birthday today and i thought you guys might be nice to me today

My girlfriend is taking me fishing for the weekend anywhere i want within 5 hours of Edmonton and seeing as last week i went to Nordegg and fished Blackstone, Shunda and the Trout ponds and learned how to fly fish fairly well im hooked.

Got a new fly rod, waders flies etc. so im pretty excited to try the trunk road again, the issue is i am not to sure of the area.

I need a place that doesn't have to much hiking (Girlfriend and all) and is relativly easy to fish for a novice fly fisherman and a Girlfriend who spin fishes.

We were thinking Ram Falls and parking 2-3KM before the falls but obviously its a big hike still. :S, just wondering if its worth her hating me for the day to get there and if there are places before the falls that are good fishing as well.

If you guys have any other suggestions id be very happy to listen, even if you want to PM me so the world doesn't know (think of it as a birthday present :P)

Thank in advance guys
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM

How attractive is your girlfriend?? Big deciding factor..jking
There's some trout ponds around Nordegg as well as Fish Lake and Goldeye lakes.
There's also the NSR up there which is usually good for some brookies and bulls.

Pickup a Barry Mitchells guide, lots of good info in there.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
How attractive is your girlfriend?? Big deciding factor..jking
There's some trout ponds around Nordegg as well as Fish Lake and Goldeye lakes.
There's also the NSR up there which is usually good for some brookies and bulls.

Pickup a Barry Mitchells guide, lots of good info in there.
Ive done the trout ponds, im looking for a river or a creek, I have his book and it helps but i dont know the locations of the rivers :s...

I was looking online and thought maybe Prairie creek and or south ram? bu dont know much about em
Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM

5 hours is big radius

The Bow and its tributaries might be a thought

happy birthday

Last edited by chubbdarter; 08-10-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:04 PM

Berland and lil smokey
Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 PM

Happy Birthday. try going down to the southwest corner of alberta and hike till you cant hike anymore on a decent sized stream(5ft). there are some pigs in there from the pictures i seen.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
5 hours is big radius

The Bow and its tributaries might be a thought
I'll say this now Jason. If you do the Bow on a weekend I'm working...I'll cry. Lots. But Chub's right. The Bow downstream of Calgary is supposed to be one of the best trout streams in the world. If you feel like going out to Nordegg again, the North Ram is supposed to produce pretty well. It's all C&R but I don't think that matters too much to you. Hmmm, I'm not sure how the North Raven is this time of year, hopefully someone can chime back on that. Oh, the Crowsnest river is also a killer stream from what I hear.

What'd you get for a rod??
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM

i have to wait 1 more hour for my present lol so i dont know. she said she didnt get me one but i dont believe her but if she didnt my dads buying me one lol
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Carter how was Nordegg man, i am going not this weekend but the next weekend to nordegg fly fishing ya cant wait
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 PM

It was great. I don't know if Jason told you but I got a 21 inch rainbow out of the pond there. Fought like a son of a bitch. Also, I love river/stream fishing now. I just need to learn a bit more about what I'm doing. We spent too much time fishing tiny pools and catching tiny fish. Next time I think I'll miss a few small ones and keep going to the bigger ones.

Where you going out there and for how long?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 PM

sounds great man, planning on going 20,21 and 22 or maby just leave at night on the
19th and come back on the 21st at night, yea saw a pic, was huge man, they get big in those deep ponds, i know great pools man on all the rivers out there, but you have to hike in, but its well worth it, let me know if u wanna come as well man
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 PM

i can't that weekend. I have a kegger to go to. I never thought that that party would start feeling like one of those "I have to go do this" things...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM

that sucks man, its all good though, if u can make it let me know if something comes up
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
sounds great man, planning on going 20,21 and 22 or maby just leave at night on the
19th and come back on the 21st at night, yea saw a pic, was huge man, they get big in those deep ponds, i know great pools man on all the rivers out there, but you have to hike in, but its well worth it, let me know if u wanna come as well man

Going alone again?