Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 PM

Default Pinto lake and saskatchewan river crossing

Hey, hows it going, has anyone ever fished these areas being pinto lake, or sask river crossing area, would there be any fish way up that high, i always fished abraham lake and east to the nsr but never west to what flows into abraham lake, would there be fish that high up in those waters, thankyou
Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 PM

Default Pinto lake is closed

Unless I am mistaken, Pinto Lake has been permanently closed to angling for some decades now.

The NSR can fish well early in the season, right now may not be a good time (glacial silt). You could try where creeks enter Abraham, or where the Cline dumps in. The Cline can be good above the canyon. Allstones lake is short but steep hike for brookies. Longer hikes include Lake of the Falls and Landslide Lake.

Smitty
Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 PM

thankyou smitty, wonder if Pinto lake even has fish in it now?, yes would love to hike up to allstones lake and landslide lake, are there any maps on how exactly to get there? where to park, thx for all the info
Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM

Been many years but you get to Landslide from the gravel pit just off the hiway. A friend who goes annually says you can't miss the trail.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:05 AM

I'm sure that Pinto still has tons of bull trout in it, but believe that it is closed permanently. I fished it about25 years ago, and we would catch fish on every cast.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Default Backroads map book or...

BGSH:

I use a Backroads Mapbook for most of my fishing. You've already seen - I presume - the other thread about where to pull over for Allstones. As for Landslide lake I believe the trailhead is near the Cline river - follow Big Bull's directions. I have never been.

Your alternative to Backroads mapbook is to go to a place like MapTown and get some serious Topo maps of the areas.

As for Pinto, I agree with Big Bull (I can only guess though). But I think its a good guess there are plenty of fish in Pinto lake (assuming it isn't poached) and probably some decent sizes. I think Pinto has been used as a source for Bull trout eggs and has been the subject of a couple of studies...

Smitty
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Default Landslide

You can get to Landslide either by going up the Cline or up and over a mountain via a trailhead well west of Abraham Lake. Just be aware that many people go the lake via helicopter so if you are looking for a wilderness experience you might be disappointed.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Pinto lake has cuthroats in it and it has been closed since mid 1980s, they use to reproduce in there until a landslide blocked the creek might be still some spawning but all the cutts eggs for stocking come from this lake, so it does get stocked but u will not find it on a stocking guide because of the above reasons