Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 AM

Default Bear Spray Holder

Seems like more and more bear encounters are happening. I'm about to get some bear spray to bring with me when I'm fly fishing in the RMH area.

What kind of holster do you guys use? I'm thinking a hip holser will get teh spray wet when I'm wading. Is that ok? I see WSS has a chest holster that crosses over your chest. Anybody use this?

Just wondering the best place to carry the spray when I'm fly fishing.

Thanks
Ace
Old 08-11-2011, 10:08 AM

i have one of those fanny packs that are used for cycling and has the centre pouch for small stuff like tools for the bike and has a water bottle holder on either side of the pouch. it does have an elastic ban type strap to hold it down but with the bear spray in there its kinda loose fitting. i also have a light pull over jacket that has a big center chest pocket that i keep it in also but it depends on what you buy. one bear spray/banger/flair kit i bought has a a gun holster type holder included that has the spray under the left armpit area and the bangers under the other side kinda across you chest.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM

Got my spray at TFH and it comes with a neoprene holder. Just have it on my belt, easy to access. Not many times I get in past my hips, and so far the spray is fine.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:12 PM

I hate the neoprene holders. I find them tight and when I want to get bearspray out I want it FAST. Seems to me a wet neoprene holster would only be worse yet. I like they ballistic nylon ones better.

On the hip isn't ideal when you are wading, but I suspect it would be a PITA to have a holster and strap over your fishing vest, trying to get at pockets, etc. I figure some water isn't going to hurt the spray cannister.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 PM

banger front chest pocket and constantly be alert. when not in the water fishing and on the trail keep it right in your hand ready to go.

Dace
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 PM

I hold it in my mouth. Grrr