Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Default 'The UpRigger'

Thought I would share my latest innovation. I call it 'The UpRigger'
The idea is it uses a downrigger clip to hold onto the line as it jigs the line upwards. When a fish bites it pulls loose off of the clip, triggering the tip up and the rod sets the hook. I use a universal remote to control the "jigging profiles"
Each numerical value has a different jigging profile.

https://youtu.be/asG43mncClA
Old 02-26-2017, 04:49 PM

I have been wondering about ways to incorporate a jigging action into a jaw jacker.

I don't know how well that will work though, most bites will probably be too light to pull the line free and set off the jaw jacker. If it works though that could be awesome. Just need to program a few different jigging programs in and could be deadly.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:18 PM

Well the idea is to just get some action to my walleye tip up's. Walleye do not want to bite if there isn't any motion. On downrigger clips you can set them light so it will just take a little snap to pop it off. I will report back when I have field tested the unit.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusII View Post
Well the idea is to just get some action to my walleye tip up's. Walleye do not want to bite if there isn't any motion. On downrigger clips you can set them light so it will just take a little snap to pop it off. I will report back when I have field tested the unit.
The issue I foresee is that they will feel resistance when popping the line out of downrigger clip and then depending on where the line is in jigging action they will still have to swim a ways before they hit the resistance for the jaw jacker. During that time some will probably spit the hook(I find most will spit almost immediately after they feel tension). You will only know after testing it out though.

I have caught a number of walleye on my jaw jacker, the key I found is to downsize the bait and have it set right close to the bottom. Use your jigging rod to bring them in and they often choose to hit the jaw jacker instead of the jigging lure.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximusII View Post

Since when? We had 16 of us out on the ice for family day and the jaw jackers and tip ups out performed jigging all day.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 PM

My findings are the same as what the others have said. The motion imparted by jigging attracts the walleye and they will not hesitate to strike the deadstick. When i'm out with my kids I surround myself with jawjackers and jig in the middle of them. If the walleye are sensitive to motion they will likely hit the jawjacker but if they are up for a chase they will bypass and go for the bait with action.

I was thinking of using an arduino to power a servo/motor, but in my theoretical design the clip is unnecessary. Use your existing arm to move the line below the jawjacker trigger. As the arm extends it would push the line which would raise it and as the arm retreats it would lower the line again. Additionally, use the motor to raise and lower the entire jawjacker unit, the line freezing up then becomes your biggest issue.