Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Default A Fishy story

This past weekend, my buddies and I went out onto Cold Lake for some Laker fishing again. We caught 5 in two hours. (Yes, it may seem a low number, but it was great for us!)

Well, as I was helping out one guy pull his fish out of the hole, my rod bent over and off I went to reel it in. So this fish is fighting pretty good and peeling line out like crazy!

I finally got it up to the hole and bent over to grab it and my gloves were not gripping good and it kept slipping off. Just then the line snapped! I dove after it with my lousy gloves! It kept slipping out and I chased it down the hole (3 ft of ice!) with my jacket and all!

But to no avail, it slipped under the ice edge! So I turn around to check my rod’s line and my buddy yells out, “It’s come in the hole again!” The sucker “bobbed” up the hole!

I took my glove off and pulled it out! Biggest catch of the day...10 lbs, 30 inches!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:58 PM

lol...nice happened to me too last year with a whitefish at wabanum
Old 01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Banned

Lolo good story..
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM

Thumbs up

You sure it was only 10 lbs?????
Great Story
Old 01-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Banned

Phone the F&W officer that was handing out tickets for barbed hooks and ask him about the size of the fine for that type of hand bombing. Pretty sure that what you did was illegal. The Sask. regulations guide, in fact, lists that activity as prohibited and I know fellows in AB that have been photographed and ticketed for what was titled "fish molestation" for catching fish with the hands.
As it turns out, my wife and I saw that exact thing happen to a young woman on a bay right up against the road on our way back from a derby at Lenore last Saturday. Her line broke, the fish dove and she dove right after it. By the time her friend got back with a gaff (which are legal in SK) she had the hammer handle handled!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Phone the F&W officer that was handing out tickets for barbed hooks and ask him about the size of the fine for that type of hand bombing. Pretty sure that what you did was illegal. The Sask. regulations guide, in fact, lists that activity as prohibited and I know fellows in AB that have been photographed and ticketed for what was titled "fish molestation" for catching fish with the hands.
As it turns out, my wife and I saw that exact thing happen to a young woman on a bay right up against the road on our way back from a derby at Lenore last Saturday. Her line broke, the fish dove and she dove right after it. By the time her friend got back with a gaff (which are legal in SK) she had the hammer handle handled!
Seriously!??
Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 AM

My immediate reaction was, I don't think that's legal. The reason, the fish wasn't caught by rod & reel. I haven't checked the regs though. My 2 bits!!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 AM

the guy was retrieving a fish he had on the line at one point , I think he's ok so if a pike breaks my line in the hole and I grab it I am breaking the law??? call the cops cause I'm guilty too
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM

i believe the hook would still be in his mouth if the line snapped, tough to argue that it wasn't caught with hook and line if the hook is still in !
Old 01-21-2010, 09:04 AM

Give me a break! Illegal! What the he$$!

My jig was still in his mouth! My arm is my "winter fish net".

It's not like I stood over the hole and whistled a fancy tune to get the fish to bob back up the hole. It's not a dog!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanP View Post

It's not like I stood over the hole and whistled a fancy tune to get the fish to bob back up the hole. It's not a dog!
X2
Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
X2
Agreed. X3.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Funny Stuff! Agreed here. Good story and Nice Catch!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Confuscious say . . . A fish in the hand is worth . . . oh you know the story !
Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 PM

What About if the fish spit's the hook in the hole, and you just happen to get your hand down there fast enough to grab it?

Or is having trouble getting himself back down the hole, Sort of an assist
Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 PM

wtg! glad you got it!! The fish cop that does cold lake is pretty cool, im sure hed have tried to grab it for you if you couldnt! if the line broke and the hooks in its yap its recovering your legal fish! got a 17 pounder from cold lake this morning, I usually use 20 pound braid which has a small diameter and lots of strength.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:

Easy ! I think Crusty and freedom were just messing with your head at least i hope they wernt serious . Great story Dean
Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 PM

Chyki a minute I read the story again. I was just skimming the first time and between all of the helping buddy, rod bends, line zinging, line snaps, it's bobbing in the hole I initially thought it popped up BUDDIES hole. I'm wondering if the fish is fairly caught at that point? Got it now!! Nice fish, great story. Breathe easy. Out.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthaB282 View Post
wtg! glad you got it!! The fish cop that does cold lake is pretty cool, im sure hed have tried to grab it for you if you couldnt! if the line broke and the hooks in its yap its recovering your legal fish! got a 17 pounder from cold lake this morning, I usually use 20 pound braid which has a small diameter and lots of strength.
I use 20lb fireline on the reel, but I attached a line directly to my jig, which is 15lb mono. I do this so that the fish doesn't see any hardware besides the lure. Maybe I shouldn't be doing this??
Question then:
Is it okay to connect the lure with using the snap fitting from my main line?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Easy ! I think xxxx and freedom were just messing with your head at least i hope they wernt serious . Great story Dean
Not for a minute did I think that a bunch of fellas, who (typically) have all the answers, were going to take advice from anyone who (probably) knows nothing. Phone the local Fish and Wildlife office. Or an Email to srd.infocent@gov.ab.ca
What deanp did falls outside of the regulations and I'm gonna guess that we've all done it, or something like it, so I'm not trying to be all preacher about it. But some things are just better off not said.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Not for a minute did I think that a bunch of fellas, who (typically) have all the answers, were going to take advice from anyone who (probably) knows nothing. Phone the local Fish and Wildlife office. Or an Email to srd.infocent@gov.ab.ca
What deanp did falls outside of the regulations and I'm gonna guess that we've all done it, or something like it, so I'm not trying to be all preacher about it. But some things are just better off not said.
if you have brought a fish to hand with legal fishing methods and it gets off the hook at the last minute, how do you figure its illegal to grab it with your hand? so if you bring a fish to shore and it flops off your hook, you bend over, pick it up and put it back in the water. according to your reasoning you have just molested a fish by using your hand. guess its better to just give it a swift kick so you dont touch it by hand? or do you release your fish telepathically? maybe you could send that email and post it for all of us ignorants to read???

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
if you have brought a fish to hand with legal fishing methods and it gets off the hook at the last minute, how do you figure its illegal to grab it with your hand? so if you bring a fish to shore and it flops off your hook, you bend over, pick it up and put it back in the water. according to your reasoning you have just molested a fish by using your hand. guess its better to just give it a swift kick so you dont touch it by hand? or do you release your fish telepathically? maybe you could send that email and post it for all of us ignorants to read???
Unlike the know-it-alls that reject my reality, I have contacted the correct authorities and do know that what Deanp described is not sportfishing. What you describe is typical of a person who has all the answers, built on a limited amount of experience ("14 icefishing trips... only skunked twice"), and in no way resembles the activity listed in the initial post that began this thread. Perhaps you mock the word "molest", which is the correct terminology for a "swift kick",and other activities, according to the Federal(Alberta) Fisheries Regulations,1998. To quote, in part," No person shall molest, disturb, or remove...".
""To review the definition of Sportfishing- A sportfishing license authorizes angling, bow fishing and spearfishing. Using one's hands to capture fish is not authorized by a sportfishing license."
More information is covered under the heading "Additional restrictions" on page 19 of the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations, 2009. On the same page you will find the correct procedure to release fish, in case you missed it before you chucked the book in the fire.
I would recommend reading the 'disclaimer' information on page 1 of the guide. The Guide summarizes legislation from the Fisheries(Alberta)Act, the General Fisheries(Alberta) Regulations, and the Fisheries(Ministerial) Regulations. This legislation can be viewed at the Alberta Queen's Printer website: http://www.qp.alberta.ca
The guide also summarizes information from the Alberta Fisheries Regulations, created pursuant to the Fisheries Act of Canada. These two pieces of legislation can be viewed at http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/index.html
To contact your local Fish and Wildlife office, use the toll free directory assistance service by dialling 310-0000""
With the exception of the italicized words about a fire and beginning at the words "To review" these words are a direct quote from an email I received Jan 22, 2010 from Alison Bulloch, Alberta SRD. I do not care how much you pay in fines or how long your suspensions last. My concern is that the wrong data is sent to people who genuinely want to become sportsmen (and women) and not trophy hunters. Even trying to rescue a 12$ lure is no excuse, but to retrieve a 35 cent jig? Over 700 curious people read this thread and 12 readers posted nonsense,. Surely the other 700 were looking for legitimate advice, not tripe and supposition.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 AM

your last name happyperchfisher? throw my regs in the fire? you assume a lot . and there is not ONE person out there who wouldnt try and retrieve a fish in the method described by the OP. except you of course, dont forget to polish your halo before you go to church today. wrong? by the definition its just as wrong to let the fish escape with a piece of steel in its mouth, because you didnt do everything in your power to remove it. Which as far as Im concerned would be grabbing the fish so you could remove it. If you see a fish in the water and try to grab it with your hand, sure thats molestation, but if you have brought it to shore or top of the ice by legal methods then by law its your duty to retrieve it and remove your hook. get over yourself. why do you fish in the first place, its a pleasurable activity, not a reason to post anal disrespect to other peoples enjoyment of the sport. go knit yourself a shawl if it bothers you.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned

In the last 2 weekends I have had 3 big trout break my line as they came out of the hole,all 3 times I reached in to scoop them out.Got one,missed two.
If that`s illegal well then Boo-Hoo.
Not too many "Saints" out there are going to watch a 3 pound Cuttie flip around at the top of the hole for half a minute and NOT scoop him out.
And for the ones that can restrain themselves..........How did your ethics taste that night for supper,My trout was Friggen excellent.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM

There are companies selling what is called a fish elevator, you stick this thing down hole, and the 'elevator' turns under the ice, when there is a fish in the hole, you turn a handle, lift the 'scoop' and it brings the fish up.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-24-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
There are companies selling what is called a fish elevator, you stick this thing down hole, and the 'elevator' turns under the ice, when there is a fish in the hole, you turn a handle, lift the 'scoop' and it brings the fish up.
know who is selling them, I was thinking of trying to build something like that myself

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Fine print and legalese aside. Where you going to grab a laker when he spits the hook at the top of the hole?

The only reason I ask is that most of us would try to slip our fingers under the gill plate. You have to hope that A) the fish was big enough and B) you don't have one yet.

They are unbelievably soft there and if a 10 pound fish gives a flip your tearing out gills or worse. I've seen it happen and those fish bleed like stuck pigs and are done for.

Personally I try not to take the chance. Lots of other fish in the lake.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Banned

An open letter to the rolling hillbilly. You asked me to post the information to back my argument. Then you go ahead and insult me for doing it. You altered the scenario a couple of ways to suit your baseless argument and you stand on a mountain of self-righteousness to do it.
You could not have possibly read and disseminated the web pages I posted in the hour that it took you to react to my post, never mind referring to page 19, as advised,
to find the data concerning, among other things, the proper handling of fish with a deeply swallowed hook. Any response from ASRD, had you chosen to write them, would not have arrived until Monday at the earliest.
You are continuing this discussion with out the benefit of a clue, mr. christie. Don't resort to insults and fabrication if you want to be in a debate with any substance. Giving the old 'heave ho' to the regulations because they don't suit you will only get you in deep with the courts, and like I said, I could not care less if you are fined and suspended. I do care that guys like you would lead other neophytes astray with your self-serving wisdom and knee-jerk reactionism.
Not to mention your Chat Room mentality. If you are going to participate in a Forum with (potentially) older and more experienced players, then you are going to have to admit at some point that you can learn only if you stop talking and listen from time to time.
I am going to guess here that "anal disrespect" is leaving little bits of paper on mine when I finish up?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 AM

One can feel the love in this forum