Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

Default redneck livewell

Alright, so I got my boat home last week and I'm going to be starting work on it next week to get it ready for the season. I am going to completely strip the interior(seats and everything is coming out) I am going to build a casting deck on the front open bow and then build storage compartments into it. I got a pretty good Idea for the lay out of what I want. But my big thing is I am going to build in a livewell. I want to encase it so really all you see of it is a lid. It is going to look as if it was meant to be there.

I have 2 options of where to put it:
1) between the consoles and that way it can be used as a step down/up to the casting deck. If this is the case I would probably definitely need to get a cooler that opens from the ends with 2 doors just for simplicity of use when fishing. It would be nice because the extra weight would be up front a bit more and balance out the boat. Wiring the water intake and

2. at the rear middle of the boat. I would build it in and then on either side i would make fixed seats with storage for tackleboxes underneath the seats. This would eat up valuable room but would make the wiring of the livewell really easy. Also it would put the weight at the back of the boat with the batteries and motor....

Has anyone built their own livewell from a cooler before? any lessons learned from it? any other key considerations when building a livewell?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

By the way, does anyone know where I can get a boat motor starter solenoid?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
May depend on the motor but I got the "power sports" one from NAPA for about $15 works like a charm.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

a 3rd option is to cut it into the very front of the boat and then just gluy my floor panel to the lid of the livewell then no one would know i have a livewell there. it would just look like floor. but that is also alot of cutting and stuff. I will post an arial picture of the boat layout on the weekend.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
May depend on the motor but I got the "power sports" one from NAPA for about $15 works like a charm.
Ya, I was looking at part lists from Iboat.com and there is a different model of solenoid for every model of engine by every manufacturer. But I dont see why I cant just use a generic one. Its just providing power to my starter. Its not like it is engaging other parts on my motor.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Ya, I was looking at part lists from Iboat.com and there is a different model of solenoid for every model of engine by every manufacturer. But I dont see why I cant just use a generic one. Its just providing power to my starter. Its not like it is engaging other parts on my motor.
exactly just do a search on the napa canada website and check for the "power sport" or something like that solenoid. It worked on my older 75hp chrysler.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

careful before cutting away on the boat, a lot of the hull integrity is in those cross struts and stuff. Can you post a pic as is, with length and width/beam. Is it a tri-hull like a boston whaler or a livingstone?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
exactly just do a search on the napa canada website and check for the "power sport" or something like that solenoid. It worked on my older 75hp chrysler.
I did that but nothing came up on power sport. but i looked at their other starter solenoids and i think what ill do is pull out the one on the motor now and take it in and match it up with one they got. none on the websites say boat motors. Lots for lawn mowers and such like that
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
careful before cutting away on the boat, a lot of the hull integrity is in those cross struts and stuff. Can you post a pic as is, with length and width/beam. Is it a tri-hull like a boston whaler or a livingstone?
Its a tri-hull. like i said I will take a couple pictures by the weekend, maybe even earlier, from an arial view standing on my garage (its parked right below it). I do want to avoid cutting but I;m not worried about integrity in the bow because I will be framing in the deck so anything lost will probably be recovered if not improved upon.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
If you can, try taking it apart and just cleaning up the contact area with some fine grit emery cloth and/or check the connections. The solenoid in a vehicle gets used way more than 1 in a boat and how often do they go out? It is possible that it is not making contact inside because of not being used enough and has gotten a thin layer of oxidation on the end of the piece that moves inside. Also do the stationary contact points. I had to do that on a Landcruiser that I had and it was fine for years afterward.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

hmmmm. ill look at it. the solenoid does click when the key is turned but nothing else. bypassing the solenoid engages the starter so i know it is the solenoid.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
hmmmm. ill look at it. the solenoid does click when the key is turned but nothing else. bypassing the solenoid engages the starter so i know it is the solenoid.
It's most likely the solenoid. Napa Canada part # 7016841

That's the one that worked for me.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 PM

Default Livewell

If you want to keep your fish alive, put it at the back of the boat. when you are under power that is always the smoothest ride. Then put your batteries up front to even the weight out. That is what I did with mine.
Good Luck
Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I did that but nothing came up on power sport. but i looked at their other starter solenoids and i think what ill do is pull out the one on the motor now and take it in and match it up with one they got. none on the websites say boat motors. Lots for lawn mowers and such like that
I have used a generic one from a ford truck for my boat motor. just had to mount it different.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye01 View Post
If you want to keep your fish alive, put it at the back of the boat. when you are under power that is always the smoothest ride. Then put your batteries up front to even the weight out. That is what I did with mine.
Good Luck
That is actually something I havent considered. the front is considerably more choppy in a trihull than the back. any other thoughts on this??
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Another item, What would you guys think the "ideal" size of livewell is. I know the bigger the better and more versatile(divide fish by size and the possibility of catching more than one monster at a time.) I am going to put as big of one as i can fit without taking up too much space, but in your opinion what is ideal?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Another item, What would you guys think the "ideal" size of livewell is. I know the bigger the better and more versatile(divide fish by size and the possibility of catching more than one monster at a time.) I am going to put as big of one as i can fit without taking up too much space, but in your opinion what is ideal?
In your case, you likely on need one about 15" long
Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

thanks for your contribution stang..... can always count on you

PS. you going to make an effort to drag your ass back from sask for a AOF gathering. or you should host one out there. ha
Old 04-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

Ok so here are the pictures of the inside of the boat. yes it isan extramely ugly color of boat but its ok. my dad has white marine paint that is free for my use. the boat has been completely stripped of everything. carpet, panels. seats everything

Old 04-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

ok. do like i said, the livewell will not fit between the consoles like i had hoped. so i need to find another place for it. It really only leaves infront of the consoles but once I do that then there is no storage what so ever in the boat. I cant really put it at the very back center because that is where the panel to access the bilge pump, drain plug, gass and batteries. so i either need a creative idea on where to put the live well or creative ideas for where to put storage. here are the dimentions:

the bow section from the console forward(measurements are taken at the approximate height of the casting deck that will be installed.)

Width infront of the windsheild: 54.5inches
Width and the very front of the bow: 47.5 inches
length(from windshield to bow): 47 inches

between the consoles:
Bottom: 13 inches
right underneath windsheild: 16inches

Behind the console:
Width: 54.5 inches (consistant all the way back.)
length (from rear compartment to steering wheel): 72(6 feet)
Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 PM

What are u planning for seating?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM

No point to have the sonar on the wrong side of the boat, lol.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Banned

Braun what size and year is the engine
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

Stang, that is not my sonar. ha. im not that stupid. that is a really really old busted sonar that was on the boat. still need to rip that thing off. I definately would never put mine over there. I am actually going to mount mine on a platform that i can move around (ie. plop it into a rod holder on the casting deck so i have it handy when im fishing on the deck and controlling a trolling motor. )

Gary, the seating is going to be movable seating, so i will put deck mounts all over the boat (1/2 on the bow deck, 2 at the very rear and obviously 2 behind the console.) so they will be the threadless kingpin mounts. Just pop the seat up and put it in the deck base where you want to fish.

Horse trader, it is a 65hp merc. I dont know the year but it is an older 4stroke
Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Banned

Horse trader, it is a 65hp merc. I dont know the year but it is an older 4stroke[/QUOTE]

That's to bad I have a brand new repair manual for merc. 1965-89
40-115 hp 3-4 cyl. but it's for 2 stroke. could have sent you for free
Old 04-10-2011, 05:37 AM

Batteries don't like to be bounced around either.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 AM

Check the #'s on the motor. That may just be a 2 stroke.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Banned

Default Live fish in a live well

Here are a few tips on reducing stress on the fish in your well.
1) Attach weights to the fins to keep the belly oriented properly.
2) When racing to the scale, carefully arrange a couple of life jackets (old) above the fish to keep the fish from bouncing and sloshing around.
3) keep the water circulating nearly continuously to keep oxygen levels up.
4) Use your livewell for tournaments only. Otherwise, just half fill it with ice to keep the meat fresh. Keeping lunch alive serves no worthwhile purpose, and culling for size is illegal.
5) Remember, a gallon of water weighs 10 lbs. You have to be aware of trimming your craft to remain upright so the hull planes properly.
6) If you do keep the fish in the well and alive, be aware that transporting live fish is illegal so drain the tank before leaving for home.

Free (spooling)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 AM

You can do some good stuff to that boat. Lots of potential there.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Keep us informed on how your project is coming along.
If stang comes out with you, make sure to bring a sandwich cooler for any fish he gets! (Might even have a dual purpose there, could keep your bait in it at beginning of the day and his fish in it at the end! Just don't get them mixed up. lol.)