Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Default Thanksgiving on the SSR

I have been talking about getting out on the SSR for sturgeon for years now and this weekend my wife, son and I decided it was time.. With Saturday being my first time ever on the river and first time fishing it, it took some time and exploring to find some good spots. We did find a couple good holes and got into some fish. Caught some dino’s and a few other species including a clam...
My son got to knock off a few from his bucket list including a sauger, burbot and a sturgeon, wife got to feel the power sturgeon have to!! The boy also landed a hog of a walleye! One great fishery for sure!
Old 10-15-2019, 01:24 PM

Some more
Old 10-15-2019, 01:32 PM

Any tips on locating and rigging for those sturgeon. I would love to catch one I have gone down and tried a couple times with no luck.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Fantastic!! Great pics and great time out with the fam.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Fantastic!! Great pics and great time out with the fam.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I go once a year to the Fraser for the whites, have for the last 5 years.. The wife now understands why I love these beautiful dinos so much and the strength they have.. She has always enjoyed fishing but now it is at a new level. And my son, well fishing has been his passion for awhile now and this just adds to his love for it!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump thumper View Post
Thanks! I go once a year to the Fraser for the whites, have for the last 5 years.. The wife now understands why I love these beautiful dinos so much and the strength they have.. She has always enjoyed fishing but now it is at a new level. And my son, well fishing has been his passion for awhile now and this just adds to his love for it!
Just awesome. I have 4 kids and absolutely love the time we spend fishing, ive been doing a fly in trip for the last 9 years into northern sask. Summer 2020 im taking the wife and kids!! cant wait!! but fraser river dinos is on my bucket list for sure!
Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Any tips on locating and rigging for those sturgeon. I would love to catch one I have gone down and tried a couple times with no luck.
Well one thing, owning a jet boat and being able to move around is a huge help. And also finding what they are biting on is key I think. The first day I was using store bought minnows and worms with no luck and managed to get some “locally sourced bait” as my son called on the second day, which I think helped.

On day 1 I anchored in a hole and wasn’t getting a bite and another boat anchored just below me where I was earlier and hooked a dino within the first 2 minutes.. As much as I was bummed I didn’t hook one, I felt positive that I was finding the right holes and maybe it was bait that was the difference..??

I use 7’6” and 8’ rods, 6000 series spinning reels spooled with 50 lb braid, a slip weight setup with a swivel and about a 25” of 40lb Dacron leader, I wouldn’t use any lighter line than that myself.

I have fished several times on the Fraser with guides and have learned a lot from them which has given me a lot more confidence to go out on my own.