Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Default What's your ideal hiking shotgun?

Howdy,

Did the past thead search, read a lot of interesting information on whether or not to hike with a firearm etc.

My question is, for those who prefer to hike with a non-restricted firearm, what is your preferred gun and load? I'm leaning towards a shotgun....
Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 AM

defender or other high capacity shot gun with buckshot and slugs loaded one then the other making sure you shoot buck shot first then slug then shot etc.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:35 PM

I just bought a Maverick 88 12ga for this exact reason.
It's cheap. $200 brand new.
It's light.
It works!

I know it is a cheap gun. There is no dout the Moss 500 & Rem 870 are better guns. But for 100% use of being strapped to my back and honestly, probably never using it...why spend more?

I put 10 rounds through it to get familiar with her and thats about it. It will be lucky to ever see many more than 5 rounds per year.

In Lethrbidge where alot of people are looking for this type of protection...they fly off the shelf. Can't keep them in stock. That's gotta say something.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 PM

I have a Maverick 88 as well. It's one of those firearms that you don't really care if it takes a beating and looks like you tossed it off of a mountain.

I'm probably going to order a 15" Grizzly mag from Canada Ammo pretty soon though. You can keep a 3" in the chamber and drop in a magazine for an additional 5 rounds of 2 3/4" They have a shorter 12" model as well for a very reasonable price.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 PM

norinco 870 rip off. comes with a 14" barrel, light as a feather, cheap and is compatible with all factory remington 870 barrels and after market add-ons. I'm currently looking for a 26-28" beat up 870 barrel for a cheap waterfowl gun. I love the thing even if he finish blows in high wind.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM

Mine's not a shotgun - my .45-70 shorty, stock-sleeve cartridge carrier and max'd out heavy bullets (350's). Carries well and hits with far more authority, fast to reload and shoot. I shoot a lot of waterfowl, so fast shooting without aiming from dangerous range is easy with the levergun.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Howdy,

Did the past thead search, read a lot of interesting information on whether or not to hike with a firearm etc.
Pure paranoia IMHO... The odd time I feel a bit nervous in a particular area it's just some bearspray on the belt. Studies suggest it's more effective than a gun anyway, and way lighter, can take it anywhere anytime, etc.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Pure paranoia IMHO... The odd time I feel a bit nervous in a particular area it's just some bearspray on the belt. Studies suggest it's more effective than a gun anyway, and way lighter, can take it anywhere anytime, etc.
True enough. I spend a lot of time in the backcountry and have only ever needed bear spray. (never needed to use it) I'm just thinking of getting a pack gun for grouse, or 'just because'.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
True enough. I spend a lot of time in the backcountry and have only ever needed bear spray. (never needed to use it) I'm just thinking of getting a pack gun for grouse, or 'just because'.
Yeah a shotgun is way more fun then bear spray. Like the answer "just because". Used that one too. I want a 45-70 "just because".

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM

I hava a old 303 enfield with a plastic stock and 174gr RN bullets.
Long but light and accurate
Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Howdy,

My question is, for those who prefer to hike with a non-restricted firearm, what is your preferred gun and load? I'm leaning towards a shotgun....
For some reason I ALWAYS manage to run into a bear or something. People want to take me bear hunting because no matter where I go I always find one ( or it finds me) Even fishing I carry at the minimum some bear spray. If not bearspray then a gun.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .LOON. View Post
For some reason I ALWAYS manage to run into a bear or something. People want to take me bear hunting because no matter where I go I always find one ( or it finds me) .
Good thing baiting of black bears is allowed, because YOU appear to be bait.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Big.Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Good thing baiting of black bears is allowed, because YOU appear to be bait.

lol true enough! ...