Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 07:31 PM

Default Stores that Discount

I am considering buying an expensive optic and I was wondering if you know of any stores that will negotiate prices. I know in the USA that many smaller retailers will discount.

Thought I should mention I am thinking of a Razor Gen 3.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by markg; 04-17-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:00 PM

Default Deals

The only true answer, is check with the dealers. Google is your freind.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:09 PM

Default true

I was looking at several across canada and all of them list the MSRP
I might have to call them all and see what they will do.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:52 AM

Default Called a couple

Called a couple of dealers today. None of them would negotiate price. They have some form of agreement with the manufacturer (Vortex) not to discount. One even told me that if he did give me a discount that they could loose the product line.

I watch alot of youtube videos on shooting and product reviews and nearly all of them talk about retailers discounting MSRP. In fact they all quote the going "street" price. I find it strange that they dont do that in Canada. Looks like more research is needed.

I also find it strange that scopes are not permitted to cross the border like firearms. Anyone know the specific rationale for this policy?
Old 04-18-2024, 12:31 PM

Vortex has a MAP schedule, and rarely have sales unless approved by Vortex. I wouldn't expect that the contract says they cannot sell below the MSRP but they certainly cannot advertize anything other than the set retail price. You are unlikely to get one new for a reduced price unless it is either a demo (annual event, usually it is Prophet River doing it) or they discontinue the specific optic.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:38 PM

My only question is why a vortex?
Old 04-18-2024, 02:11 PM

Default Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
My only question is why a vortex?
Thats a good question. I have one already and it is one of the finest scopes Ive ever owned. I had a Gen 2 razor and it was very nice but the Gen 3 is a definate step up. There are some out there that think it compares well with Tangent Theta and Zero Compromise. Not quiet as good but very close to them for almost half the price. Ill post some videos for context.

I have been running mine (Razor Gen 3) for almost a year and cant say enough good things about mine. I really like the turrets. I really like being able to fine tune my zero. The glass is sublime. Some of the best you will find. My second best scope is an Athlon Chrono's which was the equal to my Razor Gen 2. I just got a second Curtis Valor Rifle and I am debating going with a second Gen 3 that way both my rifles have the same scope. Problem is Cost. The Gen 3's are $4449.00. I was hoping that the vast wealth of knowledge and connections on this forum might be able to hook a fella up with a discount. I worked hard and smartly for my money and dont want to waste it.

Review from the Guys at Area 419
https://youtu.be/7LNUogneV6o?si=MG_zKJpSO_AUSPPt

Dark Lord of Optics

https://www.youtube.com/live/uf2Zye9...c9GR6amp6ECS4O
Old 04-18-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Called a couple of dealers today. None of them would negotiate price. They have some form of agreement with the manufacturer (Vortex) not to discount. One even told me that if he did give me a discount that they could loose the product line.

I watch alot of youtube videos on shooting and product reviews and nearly all of them talk about retailers discounting MSRP. In fact they all quote the going "street" price. I find it strange that they dont do that in Canada. Looks like more research is needed.

I also find it strange that scopes are not permitted to cross the border like firearms. Anyone know the specific rationale for this policy?
Could be an distributor thing. A lot of the European boot manufacturer's went this route, as well as not allowing US retailers ship to Canada. It is done to protect the Canadian distributor.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-18-2024, 06:06 PM

Find out the percentage they pay to the credit card company. Get them to discount that amount. Pay it in cash.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:43 PM

not sure when you need it for but Prophet River has a Vortex Open Box sale every year I believe. Just not sure when it happens but could be worth a call.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:02 AM

Default A little off topic .

It was nice when WW Arcade was in Edmonton back in the day .The 124st location was the place to get deals . I knew every Tuesday i think it was you get 15 % off . Went there to buy some Binoculars. Then i asked how much more can i get off the total if i buy a scope for my 7 mag . Another 10 % Then i was joking and said how much for a scope for my 22-250 ? Another 10% off the total he said. I walked out with the 3 of them paying 35% less .

I also remember any gun store in Edmonton .After you payed for a new rifle they would include a box of bullets . You don't see that anymore !
Old 04-19-2024, 09:34 AM

Hard to get any discounts unless its a local shop and you buy a pile of stuff there, and are talking to the owner, and he likes you. Stoeger has MAP /MSRP in their dealer agreements too, which covers Beretta, Benelli, Stoeger, Sako, Tikka, RWS, Burris, not sure what else. Korth does the same with Leupold and Hornady, Fabarm.
You can watch the various big scope sellers in the US, but, doubt you'll find much in the way of discounts or any sales on the Razors, as they are in fairly heavy demand. May take some patience and persistance on it.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:05 AM

New at the set price, wait a year for a sportsman show maybe, or buy used.

Used ones pop up but not at a crazy discount for a Gen 3
Old 04-19-2024, 11:25 AM

The import of the rifle scopes from the us is controlled by the ATF. It has nothing to do with protecting the Canadian dealers. You can import the binos with zero problems or issues but not scopes. You will need a special authorization from atf. It is not Canadian it is American issue. Canadian customs have no restrictions on importing the scopes, it is the atf issue.
As for the discounts- Vortex has price control on their product, just like Rolex, Lui Vuitton or other luxury brands. It is very common. The only way you can avoid that is if you deal IN PERSON, NOT OVER THE PHONE. Then some dealers might be willing to quietly discount the scope for you.
If the OP is in Edmonton, I suggest visit the swamp donkey outdoors store. I was also looking to get a vortex but ended up buying one of his scopes and now I’m in total love with it!