Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2015, 09:07 PM

Default Waterfowl migration update

I was out about an hour south of Calgary today and the ducks were scarce to say the least, some geese though. I'm assuming the bulk of the ducks have passed through??? I've been working up North the last few weeks and haven't had a chance to judge the migration myself.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCanuck View Post
I was out about an hour south of Calgary today and the ducks were scarce to say the least, some geese though. I'm assuming the bulk of the ducks have passed through??? I've been working up North the last few weeks and haven't had a chance to judge the migration myself.
Still huge numbers of ducks east of Edmonton
highly doubt they have gotten too far south just yet.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCanuck View Post
I was in the Vulcan area deer hunting and couldn't believe how few birds there are. They will come soon enough. We were out around Bassano pheasant hunting and there were lots of birds out there though.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:10 AM
Banned

Default Just north of number 1

Big time Geese but still no duck numbers . I'm finished with geese
But still have time for some mallards . 24/7 . Just not here yet .
North of Brooks plenty of Ducks .
Old 11-10-2015, 07:27 AM

We have more geese in the Camrose area, than I have seen all fall, I am seeing thousands in the local fields just outside the city, on my way to the range.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We have more geese in the Camrose area, than I have seen all fall, I am seeing thousands in the local fields just outside the city, on my way to the range.
Take a drive past the range to the river hill and glass back at the flooded west end of Dried Meat....mallards by the thousands.
By next week I'm thinking we could see a good freeze and then the only game in town will be the bigger lakes like Buffalo. Or Forestburg power dam.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 AM

Was on the bow on Saturday and saw minimal numbers way up high, more geese than mallards. Got skunked actually.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 AM

Second year hunting out here.... hunted the vulcan area earlier in the season ( sept. lots of duck... mostly locals I assume... by the end of the first week of Oct. either they had moved on or they were hiding.... but nothing by the end of Oct. Hunting geese east of Calgary.... they seem to be hit and miss..... ( On both ends of the gun ) ... the consistency of the flocks aren't their and I always thought the snows specs and cdn's didn't hang together... from what Ive seen... they may not fly together but they feed together....Still waiting for the big push from the north.... !! As far as the duck numbers... .haven't seen anything more then 1 flock can can't get them to decoy either.... Oh well.... thats why it's called hunting not killing right..!!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
Second year hunting out here.... hunted the vulcan area earlier in the season ( sept. lots of duck... mostly locals I assume... by the end of the first week of Oct. either they had moved on or they were hiding.... but nothing by the end of Oct. Hunting geese east of Calgary.... they seem to be hit and miss..... ( On both ends of the gun ) ... the consistency of the flocks aren't their and I always thought the snows specs and cdn's didn't hang together... from what Ive seen... they may not fly together but they feed together....Still waiting for the big push from the north.... !! As far as the duck numbers... .haven't seen anything more then 1 flock can can't get them to decoy either.... Oh well.... thats why it's called hunting not killing right..!!!!
Specks, snows and lesser Canada's will feed together. Specks are suckers for a snow spread. The big greater Canada's will feed in the same field but almost always feed off to the side by themselves. Ducks don't give a rats ass who they feed with lol.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:27 AM

Still a few ducks in the far east here. Im finding i have to scout a lot harder to find them but when i do there is lots. A few canadas still around as wellas some big snow flocks.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 11-10-2015, 01:48 PM

Yeah I was down in the vulcan area and didn't see much for ducks, some geese though. Odd swing as there was lots of open water.... Went out by strathmore and found a few birds, but after last night most of the sloughs appear to have froze right up.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:54 PM

Lots of both around Vermilion

Pin
Old 11-11-2015, 01:54 AM

Not much around SE corner....
If we get a big cold snap the birds might just bypass us and keep going.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:59 PM

Geese are on their way from West of Edmonton.

Non stop flights this AM, many very high and large, but the ducks have moved on which is annoying as they were around on Thursday to Sunday.

Hoping for the next push of ducks as there are still lots up north.

Drewski
Old 11-11-2015, 07:32 PM

Any reports around Lake Newell or Kitsim area?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Take a drive past the range to the river hill and glass back at the flooded west end of Dried Meat....mallards by the thousands.
By next week I'm thinking we could see a good freeze and then the only game in town will be the bigger lakes like Buffalo. Or Forestburg power dam.
I haven't made it that far, but there are still thousands of geese in the lagoons, and on the nearby fields. There are also still a few swans on the lagoons as well.