Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Default First travel trailer

Hey board members. My wife and I have just purchased our first camper. It's a 15 foot 1981 Randell. Single axle. I have tried to dig up any kind of info on the maker. I've also tried alternate spelling as well but have not found anything. Was this a builder only around for a short while? We're really excited to get this unit out on the road. Our tow vehicle is a 3.0lt v6 ford escape. What experiences can first time trailer owners share?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Good for you.Check bearings, brakes, wiring and tires. The right hitch and ball mount, and ball. Being a retired mechanic, when I stop to help people on the road, these are the things that are most of the problems. Great to have everything working inside the trailer, but if your down on the side of the road, it's a bugger.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

I had a 1979 17 ft travelaire for our first. Good little trailer. Check for water leaks in behind your cupboards, floor compartments/lino edges. I could go 3 yrs on a set of wheel bearings, buy good ones. Check the tires for wear. Watch Princess Auto, I bought scissor jacks on sale, work well to secure the trailer once it's level vs those trailer jack stands.

Mine was defiantly bigger than yours but heavy when loaded with gear and water. I used my explorer with the V8 once to take it to the car wash. Wouldn't want to go much further lol. Friends had a little 15 ft, travelaire, noticeably lighter.

Got trailer brakes? I would want them if your tow vehicle is an Escape.

Enjoy the camping
Old 02-11-2019, 01:26 PM

I think our trailer was a Randell when I was growing up. Made in Nanton. Got any pics?

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 02-11-2019, 02:08 PM

If you have a bathroom in your trailer then get the best sewer hose you can - the cheap ones aren't worth sh*t. Take your time when emptying your blackwater tank, make sure every connection is secure and the end of the hose is securely in the dump station before pulling the handle. Get some heavy duty rubber gloves (I use a gauntlet length), rubber boots are also a good idea, and some disinfectant wipes. It's not a difficult job but I've seen a few disaster's at the sewer dump and had one close call myself.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:15 PM

Older trailers can be a fight with leaks, mice, and wiring issues. Especially one that is nearly 40 years old. Most are easy to deal with if you deal with them right away as they come up. Neglect kills them.

Good news is that if you're handy and have some time on your hands, you can completely redo the interiors fairly easily. Tons of online videos and articles documenting people's refurbishing and renovation of older travel trailers.

Only other thing I have to say is be weary of trailer sway with that set up. 15' trailer on a single axle behind a small little Ford Escape could get hairy on a windy day. Some of those older travel trailers can be pretty heavy for their size as well, not a lot of weight saving material are used like what's used now. I have a 1994 18' tandem axle and it probably weighs in at a close to 4,000 lbs when loaded up.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddin View Post
Made in Nanton. Got any pics?
Might be Stavely.

"Toe da so" - Ricky, Trailer Park Boys
Old 02-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone!

This particular trailer is in quite good condition. It does have trailer brakes. It has a ceiling mounted air conditioning unit. Furnace works off propane or battery. Stove works. Has a small toilet. Sleeps 4. The former owner is a steel fabricator and rebuilt the hitch end of the trailer with a mixture of wood and steel due to leaks. Also rebuilt the bench seats and battery compartment at the hitch end.

I've done some research on the rough weight of some older trailers within 5 years of ours. So a 15 foot trailer should weigh in between 2000 and 2500 pounds. Our max tow weight is 3500lbs. I'll post some good pictures once we get it parked out back.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Get it weighed on a scale ASAP before using your Escape. If it weighs 2500 lbs add weight of people in your Escape and everything added in the trailer you will be over your max, I suspect. The mods the previous owner added may add to overall weight as well. You also have to consider propane, battery, water etc.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Get it weighed on a scale ASAP before using your Escape. If it weighs 2500 lbs add weight of people in your Escape and everything added in the trailer you will be over your max, I suspect. The mods the previous owner added may add to overall weight as well. You also have to consider propane, battery, water etc.
This is very good advice. You may be close or over your max weight so sway bars would be even more crucial.

Our first trailer was a 1978 16ft Prowler single axel and I thought my half ton (1994 Chev 1500 Turbo Diesel) could handle it no problem. Well, it could pull it just fine but the white knuckle drive on the 300km trip home without sway bars was all the incentive I needed to pick some up. It' amazing how much of a difference they make.

You may also want to consider a transmission cooler for your Escape to keep the temps down, especially if you plan to tow in the mountains.

Good luck with your first trailer. We've owned 3 or 4 over the years, but that first one still has the best memories!
Old 02-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Agreed with both of the above.

Another thing I would be concerned with regarding a single axle is tongue weight. Your Escape may have 3500 lb tow capacity but if the payload capacity is only 750 lbs or something (just making that up, not sure what it is), you could start looking at trouble since single axles tend to put more weight on the tongue than a tandem axle.

Get in a bad accident and the insurance company can prove you were over your Escape’s GVWR and they might try and turn their back on you. Worst case scenario but can’t be too careful.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:53 PM

I bet there are some self serve scales the truckers use close to you. I know there are some here around Edmonton and I sometimes swing through them when we are on our way camping and loaded just to see what the weights are.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Definitely have the bearings checked replaced or repacked. Tires and brakes and lights checked out etc... That’s safety issues and then obvious check for floor rot roof rot and any leaks or mice infestations.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:40 PM

List it tomorow!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I bet there are some self serve scales the truckers use close to you. I know there are some here around Edmonton and I sometimes swing through them when we are on our way camping and loaded just to see what the weights are.
Dot scales are at Balzac on hwy 2, just west of the petrocan at hwy 1 and 22, in behind the petrocan at Aldersyde south on hwy 2 or half way to Strathmore on hwy 1.

Weigh each axle individually, drop the trailer and re-weigh your tow vehicle. That will give your gross trailer weight as well as tongue weight. Check your owner's manual and you can also figure out how much cargo weight your tow vehicle has on board. Remember, cargo weight includes passengers and fuel.

Colin