Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM

Default Rigging Minnows for Jaw Jacker

Well? Anyone have tips on how to rig smaller minnows for Rainbows? I had a pile of missed hook-ups the other day. I eventually set up in the shack and watched for awhile, most fish would hit the head. I improved hook sets by switching from a single treble to a small jig head and stinger. Still not what I would call ideal.

I think what I need is a very small version of a quick-strike rig typical to what is used for pike. Any ideas of where to buy or pic's of how to make? Did a google search and came up dry.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:26 AM

Was thinking about this last night, but for pike more than bows.

My plan was to add a couple stingers, or to dead stick the bait on the bottom and just give it some more line to it triggers when the fish is running.

With bows you wouldn't want it on bottom so you could try suspending it with a slip bobber so he's got a bit if room to play with then once taking it, it should trip.

Need to get out and try this myself, but just an idea
Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM

Tear the minnow in half, and put it on two of the three prongs of a treble, near the head. I've used Swedish Pimples this way with my automatic fisherman with great success.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:11 AM

I missed a brookie on my Jawjacker this weekend damn near launched the hook back into the tent haha
Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Banned

Cool

Palomar knot with a single high quality hook . Can take a little practice to get the hook point up wards. Try hooking in the tail they hit the head feel no hook and try to swallow it down , works great on walleye.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Well? Anyone have tips on how to rig smaller minnows for Rainbows? I had a pile of missed hook-ups the other day. I eventually set up in the shack and watched for awhile, most fish would hit the head. I improved hook sets by switching from a single treble to a small jig head and stinger. Still not what I would call ideal.

I think what I need is a very small version of a quick-strike rig typical to what is used for pike. Any ideas of where to buy or pic's of how to make? Did a google search and came up dry.
You might want to take a look at some of Brandonkop's posts, as he has been using a Jawjacker about as long as anyone in Alberta. You could also just PM him as he's allways been very willing to share his knowledge.

A couple of vids that come to mind and might relate to what you are asking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNSVvgoYRlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwG18WAJxqY

Good Luck and have a great season