Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Davey Crocket

Default Clutch Kit

Guys & Gals, Just wonderin who has a kit in their quad, I have a Honda rubicon 500, is it worth the coin fer some extra tourque, hard on the machine?, I know some of you fellers have a Ruby, any input?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:02 PM
HIBACKPACKER

oh sheeeesh.... buy what ya want, drive what ya want, brag what ya want, their all good in their owners eyes.
Honda's Sucks
:rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :
What sonny said it not worth the coin
Hows that feel
Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 PM
lilsundance

sonny, backpacker, If you guys can't give an answer to legitamate questions then don't bother. Yes they are legitamate questions. How much added torque do you get? and is it worth the money spent? Is that added torque hard on the diffs? Nothing wrong with these questions for someone who doesn't know.
if your posts were meant as a joke they sure didn't come across that way.

edit: sonny edited his posts and left them blank. I deleted them. Backpacker. I missed what they said to you sorry.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Hey Lilsundance
I realize the question and it's a good one. I'm just giving Crocket some of the medicine that was dished out the other night. It's their quote and I feel the same way you do every time you bring up something to talk about someone is waiting to put in their two bits in. Just sit back and take it with a grain of salt. I my self have installed a cluch kit into every quad that I own except my first one saying that as I get older I think that I like the gear driven quads. No matter what you do to your quad the belt will slip or fail at some point. At least with the gear drives going up or down hills at least you know where your at. With the belts and even the big Kaws they say that the motors will hold them back coming down the hill. Well I here to tell you that I have yet to have a quad that was belt driven that would hold me back. I've had Arctic Cats 650 Twins Yamaha 660 Kaw 750 brute force and yes 500 Rubs The only one that held me back was my first Honda 400 Forman with the gear drive.
Happy Hunting
Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 AM
WSMMAN

Default clutch kit

i have one in my brute force it works great for bigger tires. cut top speed down to about 80km

no sure if honda has a kit for the rubicon isn't it more like a car tranny.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:34 AM
HIBACKPACKER

Default Re: clutch kit

Hey
Honda changed the Transmition when the Rub came in and it went to the Auto shift. Hows the brute I sold the one I had it was an 06. Miss the power, had leaks that the guys couldn't fix. Other then that it was a power house. I went with the 26" Mud lite XTR top end was 57KM. Miss it
Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Anglinfool

I pup an EPI clutch kit in my Kodiak. I definately nioticed a difference in low and mid range, but I haven't riden it that much with it in.

Backpacker, you must be a really big dude for the engine braking not to work for you. Mine has slid in high gear 2wd, but in 4wd high or low, I've never had a problem.

Don't know whats offered for the Honda.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Rubi

Default Rubi

I have an 06 Rubi and wouldnt recommend the clutch kit. I would however add a jet kit and air filter it will make a little difference.
The Rubi has lots of torque, hauled a moose 200yrds out of the bush with 1 1/2 feet of snow Then about 1 km down a cut line.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:20 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Hey
I stand 6.1 and weight 260 or so in great shape we ride mostly Bragg Creek and Indian Graves long big hills it works but not as well as the old gears.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:42 PM
sdeviation

Default Re: clutch kit

ok ,,,i have to ask,,,
the rubicon has a clutch i thought itwas a hydralic tranny?
i got an 01 ruby.. lol
Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 PM
hIGHLIFTER

Default hIGHLIFTER

Check out Highlifter.com for atv forum and parts.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
HUNTNUT

Default Re: Rubi

The rubicon has a centrifugal (sp) on the end of the crankshaft that turns the transmission. There is a spring kit available to raise engagement speed slightly. As far as more power goes its all revelent to how much you want to spend. You can go for a K&N air filter and a jet kit all the way to a bigbore kit.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 PM
WSMMAN

Default GEAR REDUCTION

highlifter has gear reduction parts for the rubicon that are usually only used to pull 28" or bigger tires other wise your looding lots of top end power.

my clutch kit made pulling my 29.5s easy

s31.photobucket.com/album...IM0051.flv

i know no helmet its about the only time i've ever not worn one.
dont see two many hondas on two wheels