Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=Geezle;2048507]Well now that you mention it, I do have a preference towards Shimano gear The orphaned reel that needs a rod is a shimano Caenan that got booted off my MH Compre when I got my Curado.

That being said, the Compre, Clarus and maaaaaaybe the Convergence are options...it'll likely end up coming down to what I find in stock first in the right power/action/length at this point!

I thought you were looking for a spinning rod sorry. In a casting you'll need to go 6'6 I believe maybe 6'8. Will you be mainly jigging with this set up? I personally like shorter rods for this application but depends on your boat. If you have obstacles to move around longer rods are nice when bringing fish up that extra length can save you at times. Like I said before I love the compre's mine get used just as much as my cumara's and with the same confidence they are great rods.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM

This is what I would suggest CPCX68MC or the same rod comes in a fast action cpc68mc. Call around see if they have them and you can compare the two.
Good luck buddy let us know what you get.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Default what about a Rapala?

If you want something different, try a Rapala Team Walleye crankin rod. I have one and really like it.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
If you want something different, try a Rapala Team Walleye crankin rod. I have one and really like it.
Honestly, I've had some bad luck in the recent past with a couple Rapala rods I already own, and it's been enough to get me to shy away from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
This is what I would suggest CPCX68MC or the same rod comes in a fast action cpc68mc. Call around see if they have them and you can compare the two.
Good luck buddy let us know what you get.
Well yesterday work had me all over the city, and I had a chance to pop in to TFH, Cabelas, and WSS North, and everybody had pretty much the same selection. I also checked with TFH about brining in a crankbait rod for me, but it appears that it would be a special order and I didn't have time when I ran in there to sort it all out. At this rate I may just end up going with the 6'6" Worm & Jig Compre and call it done

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Well yesterday work had me all over the city, and I had a chance to pop in to TFH, Cabelas, and WSS North, and everybody had pretty much the same selection. I also checked with TFH about brining in a crankbait rod for me, but it appears that it would be a special order and I didn't have time when I ran in there to sort it all out. At this rate I may just end up going with the 6'6" Worm & Jig Compre and call it done
It is nearly impossible to find a crankbait rod or any thing less then fast action in Edmonton. Everyone stocks M and MH rods with F action and almost nothing more...

Too bad TFH charges $25 to special order(what they quoted me anyways). I am just waiting to hopefully find a couple of these rods I am looking for for on sale so I can get them shipped up reasonably.

Bass pro is one of the better shops to keep an eye on from what I have seen as they have a larger inventory on their website(being US based and not having a different website/selection for Canadian stores) and they have the free/cheap shipping offers quite often. Still have to pay the extra $8 or whatever it is if it is a 1 piece rod though.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 PM

Well, I have an outing planned for tomorrow so I finally broke down and bought a rod.

It really seems like the baitcast rod selection at the stores I checked out has been really picked over, and there was a lot of stuff that wasn't in stock.

That being said, I ended up picking up a 7' ML Quantum Energy PT. It seemed like the only rod I could find in the length and action I wanted in a 2 piece casting rod. I've never used a Quantum rod before, so we'll see how it goes...I do have a bit of a bias against their low profile baitcast reels, but I suppose that's another topic.

If it turns out I'm not a fan of it I'll probably just break down and just get TFH to order me in the crankbait Compre

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 AM

I have a Shakespeare ugly stick ( my parents beat me with it lol) but its a great rod for pike and walleye good action to
Old 07-27-2013, 03:22 PM

here you go

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/3961788895.html
Old 07-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
Maybe if it was local!

I actually think that Princess Auto had a bunch of those last year...I should have picked one up when I had the chance!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams