Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Default NanoFil....Junk?

I spooled my Stradic 1000 as well as a Rapala F2 last year with 8lb NanoFil to see what all the hype was about. Needless to say I have since changes them both back to floro and monfiliment. I was really not impressed with the in line knots, fraying, etc. Just really didn't like it. I'm wondering what any of your experiences with this new "super" line have been, positive or negative...
Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Great on the first trip out, then like you, I found it broke and frayed far too easily. I ditched it in a hurry.

I've switched entirely over to the new Power Pro Super Slick. It's the best superline I've tried, and I've tried them all. The strength and durability of the original Power Pro but it's quiet and has a soft and supple feel like Fireline, its's the best of both worlds. I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 PM

Definately some durability issues, and I've suffered a few break offs. I also have powerpro on some baitcasters, as well as some fireline on other spinning reels. I primarily use my stradic for walleye/trout fishing so opted for the florocarbon.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Sounds like my experience with it was the same as you guys.

First cast I nearly got goosebumps it casted to smooth and quiet. By the end of the first day fishing, it was so frayed brittle and twisted I had lost a few a rapalas and a number of jigs. I could literally grab the line where it was fraying and peel it like a cheese string. Back to power pro when I got home

Power pro and Sufix 832 are by far the best out there. Don't mind fireline braid but the fireline " fused " crystal and smoke are horrible too. Fray just as bad.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Bought a spool of it a couple months ago, frays and twists very easily and knots dont hold well at all. I'll be switching to powerpro super slick.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM

I think my last straw was when I cast and snapped off a $15 rapala crank...
Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Power pro super slick is the worst power pro stick to the regular power pro used that slick once now I won't use it if it was free
Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosbyfan123 View Post
Power pro super slick is the worst power pro stick to the regular power pro used that slick once now I won't use it if it was free
Cool, start a thread on it... This ones about NanoFil
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Cool, start a thread on it... This ones about NanoFil
I was just giving you a heads up but sorry for ruining your thread.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I was just giving you a heads up but sorry for ruining your thread.
I forgive you, not ruined
Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 PM

Also I used nNanoFil as well don't waste your money lol. But you already know that it always frays and snaps.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Also I used nNanoFil as well don't waste your money lol. But you already know that it always frays and snaps.
Now that you mention it, I was going to spool my stradic with 8lb powerpro(not sure if it was slick) but the guy at TFH told me the lighter lines had knoting and twisting tendencies... He said the lighter tests had that problem. What lb were you using on the slick?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:51 PM

Just got back from Alaska where I had 8 - 10 lb sockeye breaking my 30lb nanofil. Can't say I was impressed at all. Caught a boatload of fish anyway, but just say'n...
Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Just got back from Alaska where I had 8 - 10 lb sockeye breaking my 30lb nanofil. Can't say I was impressed at all. Caught a boatload of fish anyway, but just say'n...
Uh yeah...NanoFil is only made up to 12lb test...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Uh yeah...NanoFil is only made up to 12lb test...
They just came out with some higher test lines I seen. 17lb according to the website, don't know where the other 13 went...Still junk I imagine...

Last edited by AppleJax; 07-25-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 AM

Default Rip Cord Si

I have been using Rip Cord Si. for probably 15-18 years I got it spooled on all 16 of my tournament rods. 15lb test dia. of 2 lb test. you can buy it at Cabelas. it pricey, but you don't have to respool every years. On my tournament rods respool every three years, on the kids pike rods respooled once every 6-7 years. Great knot strength, zero line memory. But "do not try to hold the line with your bare hands when you have a fish on, it will cut you.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Nanofil MAJOR junk! They should recall it all and merchants that are endorsing it should be told about it! Might as well use dental floss
Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 AM

NanoTrash
Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 AM

I tried it last year, bought 8 lbs test but I was smart and spooled it on my girlfriend reel lol Found that it broke and knotted, so I kept it away from my setups. She only comes out occasionally so it lasted the year but I would not recommend it at all. Berkley Fireline Crystal is what I use and it has never let me down.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Had it once in addition to the rest of the complaints I noticed without a mono or flouro leader of some kind my catch rate suffered significantly. Maybe it's a given but no other braided or super line I've tried is nearly as bad. Best attribute of that line is its castability
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Now that you mention it, I was going to spool my stradic with 8lb powerpro(not sure if it was slick) but the guy at TFH told me the lighter lines had knoting and twisting tendencies... He said the lighter tests had that problem. What lb were you using on the slick?
IMHO any braid you should be using is minimum 20lb because it's the diameter of 6lb mono. I wouldn't touch braid under 20 and would definitely never use ot for trout or perch anything under walleye is unnecessary but even with walleye a nice fluorocarbon leader I'd the way to go.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 PM

Bought a spool of nanofill for my light rod set-up ........... it is, indeed, junk, breaks very easily and knots seem to fail.

Back to PowerPro Slick for me on this rod too.

Just need to run a swivel and fluorocarbon leader - no big deal - best of both worlds reliability, castability and strength in the power pro and abrasion resistance, near invisible leaders with flouro.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 PM

I have nano fill on my jigging rod for walleye , I am kinda shocked at how low quality it is but it was never designed for pulling cranks or spoons , its a finesse line . I like fluorocarbon more , but I may as well use it .
Old 07-26-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
I have nano fill on my jigging rod for walleye , I am kinda shocked at how low quality it is but it was never designed for pulling cranks or spoons , its a finesse line . I like fluorocarbon more , but I may as well use it .
Nice to have you back BTW!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
IMHO any braid you should be using is minimum 20lb because it's the diameter of 6lb mono. I wouldn't touch braid under 20 and would definitely never use ot for trout or perch anything under walleye is unnecessary but even with walleye a nice fluorocarbon leader I'd the way to go.
In my opinion there are two advantages to braid.

First is the sensitivity. That's why I would still use it for trout, perch, etc... in the right conditions.

Second, is the fact that it is such a fine diameter per its breaking strength, you can use a 10lb line with a 2lb diameter. Fishing a line with a fine diameter has many advantages. Less resistance in the water created by the line gives you better feel and better action on your lure, bait, etc... It means you can fish deeper per lure weight or designed diving depth or fish a lighter jig, spoon, etc... and reach the same depths. Another benefit of the very fine diameter is reduced visibility, though I generally use a fluorocarbon leader anyway.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM

I use it to fish the Vanity at Nipawin. 6lb test works awesome. Caught lots of big fish with it. Thin diameter on the river drift and the sensitivity is great. Have not lost a fish from the line breaking!