Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 PM

Default Looking to buy a new rod HELP!!

Wanting a Spin Cast Rod for Bow River mainly. Any suggestions on what I should get? It is going to be a gift for my dad, hopefully something higher end. I mostly fly fish so I don't know much about spin cast reels/rods.

Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 AM

Shakespeare ugly stick it can bend in a full circle the stock reel on it is very good as well great rod great action also easy on the wallet 80$
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 AM

Default GLoomis IMX

Head to Bass Pro and pick him up a GLoomis IMX 6'6" or a 7' light or medium light with a fast action rod. The price is right around $260.00, If you already have the reel. take it with you and check for the rod/reel balance. I have 5 GLoomis IMX rods, you will not regret the purchase. These rods are one peice construct and are super sensitive.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Banned

Cool

Have a look at the carrot stick line near wt less. Fairly high end.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM

Spin cast or spinning?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Spin cast or spinning?
Was wondering who would catch that.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy1 View Post
Wanting a Spin Cast Rod for Bow River mainly. Any suggestions on what I should get? It is going to be a gift for my dad, hopefully something higher end. I mostly fly fish so I don't know much about spin cast reels/rods.

Thanks
First off - don't buy him a cheap crappy ugly stick - this sends him the wrong message if you have a good relationship. Ugly sticks employ the best of the 1950's technology and offers an even bending parabolic action that certainly is not suited for the river. These rods are great for bottom bouncing heavy hangers for harder hitting fish, make excellent stakes for your wife's tomato plants and serve as a great whippin' stick for the neighbors kid. They offer inferior feel, require a longer stroke to set a hook and are made with poor seats and average guides, although they are, admittedly, very resilient to stupidity (like clumsy feet, ceiling fans, car doors etc...).

Spin Casting the bow - I'd look at St.Croix 8'-6" wild river series rod in medium power, fast action. $150.

Plenty of length for cast-ability, outstanding feel and top quality seats and guides.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM

I use an ugly stick strictly for bait fishing in the river. Usually using circle hooks. Its a catfish ugly stick 8' MH. I love it for this application but would never use it to cast lures or jig. The tip is very flimsy which helps notice strikes if you use bait and a bell or just watch your rod tip. Ifhe is casting lures and jigs I would suggest a medium action rod somewhere around 7'. If you are wanting to get a high end rod it might be best to not keep him in the dark about it. Alot of personal preferences especially casting from shore.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 AM

I would recommend you check out Shimano's Compre and Crucial rods. These rods offer great bang for the buck. Lightweight, strong backbone and comes with a lifetime warranty. Great value for a rod that can be replaced over the counter if you have any issues. For reels I would check out pflueger, the president and supreme series are also a great value for the price.

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Boats View Post
I would recommend you check out Shimano's Compre and Crucial rods. These rods offer great bang for the buck. Lightweight, strong backbone and comes with a lifetime warranty. Great value for a rod that can be replaced over the counter if you have any issues. For reels I would check out pflueger, the president and supreme series are also a great value for the price.

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats
compres are great rods. use mine in the river all the time with no complaints............later
Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 PM

Get a Berkeley lightning rod , them things are very sensitive and will haul in anything from a pike to tiny trout , pair that up with a shamano symetery then you got a pretty awesom set up for about 150-160 dollars , far better then any ugly stick .
Old 07-26-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN12313 View Post
Head to Bass Pro and pick him up a GLoomis IMX 6'6" or a 7' light or medium light with a fast action rod. The price is right around $260.00, If you already have the reel. take it with you and check for the rod/reel balance. I have 5 GLoomis IMX rods, you will not regret the purchase. These rods are one peice construct and are super sensitive.
X2, if you love your Dad you not even let an ugly stick into your mind, just block it out.

Thomas Sowell