Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Default Any pheasants??

I live in High River and was wondering if anyone on here knows where to find some birds nearby. I hunted two locations East of here this morning but found nothing. I don't have a dog either. If someone wants a partner to walk some fence lines with I would be willing to do that to.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Whee were you hunting?
Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Banned

Default Check aca site for release areas

That's ur best bet to find some birds.
Strongly suggest a dog tho, or make friends w dog owner. Plenty here that would probably help. I'm a bit far and off to Taber ...
Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 AM

If you are in High River, hit Frank Lake as often as possible, but as a solo dog less hunter it will be tough to get a pheasant anywhere, but there may be a way. First until there is snow stay out of the open grass, it’s hard enough for a solo dog to pin a bird in all of that cover. If you could find 1-3 hunting buddies you could work the cattails like you are doing a deer drive. Two of you may be able to work the narrower strips of the cat tails but that is iffy . Basically stand a guy at a thin spot walk through the cat tails to him and as the birds run out of cover they should flush.

In the long run you need dog, lots of friends or a friend with a dog.

Oh and if you go often , you could may be find birds that have not been educated or pushed deep into cover.

I am not sure where I am hunting this weekend, but if I head in your direction I'll give you a PM, if you are OK with following my lead and being real safe with the dog and me (and me with you), maybe we could get you a bird or two.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
I live in High River and was wondering if anyone on here knows where to find some birds nearby. I hunted two locations East of here this morning but found nothing. I don't have a dog either. If someone wants a partner to walk some fence lines with I would be willing to do that to.
Tried the release sites? I've been there with a fellow on here and we manage to almost get our limit and we didn't have a dog. Was talking to someone else on here and they got their limit and they didn't have any dog. Just walk slowly and pause and walk again.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Frank lake has good hunting. It's just putting in the time and legwork. Especially without a dog. I'd recommend walking south from the main parking lot a ways then hunting there. Everyone and their mom hunts right around the parking area. I got my limit last week with my dog.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I tend to view Frank lake as a safe place for people to go view wild birds, not a place to watch someone shoot pheasants, lol. It sort of is the same with release sites, I tend to be more of a hard core hunter and prefer to hunt the wild birds on their own turf. Keep the suggestions coming, this is great!!
Old 10-22-2014, 06:06 PM

Default Birds

I live in High River and have a dog. I don't do a lot of pheasant hunting with him, more partridge and waterfowl but if there is pheasants around he will find them. I am thinking of heading south east this weekend to see what's around.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I tend to view Frank lake as a safe place for people to go view wild birds, not a place to watch someone shoot pheasants, lol. It sort of is the same with release sites, I tend to be more of a hard core hunter and prefer to hunt the wild birds on their own turf. Keep the suggestions coming, this is great!!
If your game is chasing wild birds get a dog. Your moral side will be upset by the amount of wild birds you shoot that hit the ground running never to be seen again. Best bet is to work ditches along the dirt roads that hold good cover.