Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 PM
Banned

Adding Metis hunting rights to the existing treaty card mess will just make things for wildlife worse if that's possible. No means test then no treaty card!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1948 View Post
Wasn't there just a Supreme Court decision saying all the Métis come under the Indian Act. Now aren't they all Indians with all equal rights?
Not really...those 'Rights' will still have to be defined in the courts.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
Adding Metis hunting rights to the existing treaty card mess will just make things for wildlife worse if that's possible. No means test then no treaty card!
That's silly...no means test no hunting license or tags...silly no matter how you look at it.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
That's silly...no means test no hunting license or tags...silly no matter how you look at it.
Missed the point! you silly thing. Do agree it will never happen if that helps. It's just such a crock.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
To allow metis hunting rights would open a whole can of worms as im sure it wouldn't take long for anyone in this province/country to track there heritage back to a native ancestor in some way. Europeans have been in Canada for over 200 years im sure somewhere along the line a few euros bumped nasty's with natives!
I have ansestors on both sides of my family.....I look a white as anyone but my pathetic beard makes it undeniable lol.
And some 400 years. Ive tracked some of my ancestors back from 1590 arriving from france on my mothers side,and grandparents of Iroquois tribe . Almost every frenchman in canada has some native in them. Why?Frenchman love native women
Thats why theres specific rules regarding treaty status of percentages of native blood within most tribes.
In my honest opinion,Full Blooded Natives should retain treaty and hunting status,and anyone whos wants to argue that just remember,it was sworn by oath till the rivers stop flowing in canada.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4570 View Post
And some 400 years. Ive tracked some of my ancestors back from 1590 arriving from france on my mothers side,and grandparents of Iroquois tribe . Almost every frenchman in canada has some native in them. Why?Frenchman love native women
Thats why theres specific rules regarding treaty status of percentages of native blood within most tribes.
In my honest opinion,Full Blooded Natives should retain treaty and hunting status,and anyone whos wants to argue that just remember,it was sworn by oath till the rivers stop flowing in canada.

Where and when was this sworn?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhawk View Post
[/B]

Where and when was this sworn?
Search into it. Its in the many of the treaties.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Search into it. Its in the many of the treaties.
What treaties was it in? You are the guy asserting it was in treaties. I have read treaty six and I didn't see anything like that. I think you are confusing what was said in movies like Little Big Man with real history.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 PM

http://www.ajic.mb.ca/volumel/chapter5.html

Nevertheless, many provisions in the treaties were included at the insistence of the Aboriginal groups. Many verbal promises, not included in the written versions of the treaties, were made to reassure the Indian representatives about the exact nature of the agreements. The promises, both written and oral, were to be good "as long as the sun shines, the grass grows, and the rivers flow." These promises are just as important as the written words defining treaty rights.

Treaties are not only documents but oral oaths also.
These same words show up in many legal documents supporting their rights. But now my fault,we're way off topic on metis hunting status. It is what it is. I will not be commenting on these matters further everything you need to know on metis or native rights are available online or at any couthouse.

Last edited by Dan4570; 10-22-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 PM

The oral part of the discussion has been a real source of frustration to a lot of folks. I can't even get my sister's story straight after the wife adds her bias(now only second-hand) much less 15 generations later, for Pete's sake.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:10 AM

What about Scots Native? Irish native? English? Native should be just That, treaty right or none, Why do french indian get preference over others?
Old 10-23-2014, 09:07 PM

A Metis Indian is actually a half breed of French and native Canadians, where as a native Canadian may hunt or trap anything they wish, a Metis Indian must prove that they need to hunt to feed their family, also the Metis are not tax exempt from items like gas or tobacco. The only privilege entitled as of now is that don't have to pay for an angling lisence. I know this because of the status of my gal and checked every angle of the game !! Im not even allowed to get out of the vehicle if we go hunting until an animal is ready to be loaded for home !!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Metis may only hunt 160 kms radius from the settlement that they live in. Hunting rights do not apply to members who do not live on a settlement.
Don't believe they have to live there. The ancestoral ties is what is required. At least that's how the metis fellow I know has explained it.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
What about Scots Native? Irish native? English? Native should be just That, treaty right or none, Why do french indian get preference over others?
You can be Scottish/Indian and be Metis and French/Indian and not Metis.

It comes down to producing Land Script or other documents to link your heritage to the Metis settlements (mostly in Rupert's Land).

Simply being of mixed race does not qualify you.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:04 PM

Default I know how this is going to end !

With the first human death related to CWD , much like mad cow ,
No one will want wild meat , After a life time of eating wild game
In Manitoba ,I'm not sure I would eat a wild quadruped ,of any kind
In Alberta . Remember these PC s are in charge of scrutinizing the
quality of the meat . This could end being the white mans cruel joke .
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
While there are many French Metis, there's also much British heritage in Metis history. Lots of Metis people have English, Scottish, and Irish ancestors.

It's European and FN peoples combined to create a distinct culture. I'm surprised how little people seem to know about the Metis. They play a huge role in Canadian history. Really amazing and unique heritage.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
A Metis Indian is actually a half breed of French and native Canadians, where as a native Canadian may hunt or trap anything they wish, a Metis Indian must prove that they need to hunt to feed their family, also the Metis are not tax exempt from items like gas or tobacco. The only privilege entitled as of now is that don't have to pay for an angling lisence. I know this because of the status of my gal and checked every angle of the game !! Im not even allowed to get out of the vehicle if we go hunting until an animal is ready to be loaded for home !!
So buy a tag and hunt legally that way. So what if you can 't " get out if the truck " I know more than. Few natives that lived in the bush all there lives and were not status nor recognized métis
But didn't whine about it either .
I also know a mess of people that in the last few years are packing either status cards or métis cards and bragging about it.
They never worried about it or even mentioned it until they found out they could get one.
Does it bother me?

You bet but not because I'm help us , what bothers me us that these people have no need to hunt under their cards , do not use he meat for subsistence and every one of them makes a very good living .
These people know nothing more about their heritage than they can get some Sort of card that supposedly let's them hunt for free now .
I yell them to go ahead because it changes nothing for me and it really hasn't changed anything got them because they are the same now as they ever were - just people.
Cat
Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post
While there are many French Metis, there's also much British heritage in Metis history. Lots of Metis people have English, Scottish, and Irish ancestors.

It's European and FN peoples combined to create a distinct culture. I'm surprised how little people seem to know about the Metis. They play a huge role in Canadian history. Really amazing and unique heritage.

Goes directly back to the quality of our education system.....we spent more time studying Julius Caesar than we did on anything in north america.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:50 PM

I am not sure what the rules are anymore. Years ago they got hunting rights similar to treaty. That was an intern agreement that expired. I don't know that the new rights are other than they can hunt on their settlements. I am not sure about off settlement rights. I would definitely find the actual truth to it for any Metis wanting to hunt off settlement. Friends who are Metis have been told they need to buy a license and tag.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
I am not sure what the rules are anymore. Years ago they got hunting rights similar to treaty. That was an intern agreement that expired. I don't know that the new rights are other than they can hunt on their settlements. I am not sure about off settlement rights. I would definitely find the actual truth to it for any Metis wanting to hunt off settlement. Friends who are Metis have been told they need to buy a license and tag.
Same here that's what I know of the metis friend I have. Hes by the letter of the law,buys tags etc and thinks nothing of it... just another day. Same as this whitey..

This whitey?? Considering myself lucky I can even leave my house with a rifle and go hunt anymore on Canadian soil...
Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 AM

How about just go buy your license like the rest of CANADIANS. There's no such thing as subsistence living anymore. Just an excuse to have special privileges.

My kids are Metis and they buy their license or they stay home. Simple as that.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:40 AM

Metis have to have an association with a settlement and from the sounds of it there is some legwork involved to do that.
And if all is good they can hunt within a set distance from that settlement. I think it was mentioned 160km radius.
Otherwise they have to line up at the counter like the rest of us.

At least that's how it is this week.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
How about just go buy your license like the rest of CANADIANS. There's no such thing as subsistence living anymore. Just an excuse to have special privileges.

My kids are Metis and they buy their license or they stay home. Simple as that.
Agree!

LC