Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM

Default Best single season you have ever had...

Seeing as how some of us had a tough season I figured lets start a thread to go back to the good old days.

Post below your best single season include pics if you got them.

I'll start....this season below (7 years ago) was tough for me on a personal level...I was going through a divorce at the time. I think the fact that was going on urged me to get out and put in the time.

Elk bow kill

Feral boar .270win

Mulie .270win

Moose .300 Win Mag

LC
Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Gone Hunting

My best season was this years season; the first season I ever hunted; and every one in between.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:16 PM

This could be a really good thread. I hope guys contribute.

I have to dig up a few pics, but 2009 was definatly my best season. I will post some pics later tonight.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
My best season was this years season; the first season I ever hunted; and every one in between.
Good attitude!

The best part of that season is for each of the animals I harvested my best hunting buddies had a hand in each one or those animals. Be it giving me a hint of where to go or helping me recover the animal. None of them contributed on more than one If that makes sense.

LC
Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 PM

This season was the best for me............

I got to watch my Dad Shoot a nice muley, my uncle take his first big game animal(buck). I got to go on a hunt with another buddy and watched him deflate a deer ( hopefully I still can go on a goose hunt with him) . I watched my best friend Slam a Ram, Hammer a booner Moose, pinwheel a Muley buck, he got a bear and his misses got her first deer as well....... The best year ever..Oh ya almost forgot...I missed a 190+ net typ muley .....lol
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 PM

2009 definitely my best season. Got to spend a great couple of days with some friends and got some good animals. It's a year I'll never forget.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Default Best year ever.

My best year ever was the year i bought the Mathews DXT. What a year of bowhunting.

Shot my first bull elk with the bow
Shot my second bull moose with the bow
Shot one w.t doe with the bow
Shot one w.t buck with the bow
Shot one coyote with the bow
Shot my first black bear with the bow

Yep it was a great year, Thats back when i had a life and never had to put the days in at work that i do now.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Default best year so far

My best season so far was 2009 as well. I am attempting to post pics, not sure if I'm doing it correctly so here it goes;

Started off with this beautifully colored spring bear, was an awesome trip, saw over 40 bears in 4 days, all three of us took colored bears!!
IMG_0183.jpg

Next was archery Elk, We had a great hunt, fantastic friends and very responsive bulls, managed to score on this nice 5 X 5;
IMG_0159.jpg

Then off for Mulies, unfortunately work got in the way and I ended up with only two days for a draw that took 5 years to pull!! Still I had a great time with some good friends and managed a decent buck, kind of a different lookin critter lotsa height but doesn't score well.
IMG_0221.jpg

Got some time in one of my favorite White tail honey holes and it paid off with this fella, a typical 6 x 6 , grosses just at 170 nets mid 160's. The pics don't do him justice, he was a warrior, bruised up chest, broken off G5's bruised ribs, a very cool deer.

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

And finally one of the critters I have been wanting to hunt since I was a kid, We hunted hard for one in '08 but I didn't find one I wanted. We went right back at it in'09 and after some nasty hiking in the deep snow we treed this big Tom and I passed an arrow through him, This capped off what fro me was a truly incredible season, filled with memories with friends old and new as well as some spectacular hunts !! Hope you all enjoyed this pics !!

IMG_0272.jpg
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM

last year was my best seeing as i olny had a whitetail tag and my mulie draw. I got the wolf on my birthday in the same trip I got my whitetail up north. My dad also got a nice 140" 5x5 the same day I got my whitetail. The mulie isn't the one I was after but I held out right till the end of the season and he is my biggest so I was happy.

Mulie scores 175 5/8
Wolf weighs 164lbs and skull measures 17 4/16
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010 whitetail.jpg (24.7 KB, 886 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 Wolf.jpg (65.9 KB, 748 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 Mulie.jpg (39.8 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg wolf mount.jpg (50.7 KB, 664 views)
Old 12-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Kinda makes me wish I had carried a camera all those years.
So many good memories. I realy couldn't pick one year.

There are the years I spent guiding, and hunting. Brought many animals to the guns of others. Good good memories.

Then there was my daughters first Moose. What an awesome day that was!
There was the Brown Black Bear I shot down on the flat. Strangest colour I have ever seen. Both Brown and Black. Jet Black hair with golden tips.

There was the trophy bull I called in for my buddy Robbie, may he rest in Peace. He nearly won a quad with that bull, it took a Yukon bull to beat him.
Classic hunt and a clasic bull.

There were goose hunts before firing up the combine for the day, grouse hunts with the kids. Just so many good years.

But I have almost no pictures of those years and to tell the truth, I can't even remember what year which hunt happened. I don't even have any tropheys to show for those hunts. Not that I didn't take any.
There was the big bull Wim and I took on uncles homestread. I though I knew where those antlers were, but they have dissapeared.
There was the big buck I took in my brothers pasture, He went 169 as I recall. I gave those antlers to a friends FIL. So they went to West Verginia.

Bottom line, all I have are the memories faded as they may be.
You know what. The memories are what really matter to me.

For instance, one of the best hunts I remember we took nothing.
All there was several days camping old style with my brother and two of my sisters and their friend. Warm days and silant nights.
There are no better trophys.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Banned

i cant decide which was better, so i have to declare a tie.

in 2009, i started with a sheep in august

i cant sort out what birds are from what year in my old pics, but there were definitely a bunch of ducks, geese, and pheasants that year.

my son shot his first mule deer that fall.

my boy then shot at this buck, but robin shot first. they both hit him, and when we got up to him and discussed it, he quickly congratulated robin on her first buck. that really made me proud to see his selflessness. robins face just makes me giggle here...we were up late the previous night.

gary got a pretty good buck that fall as well

and i got my best muzzleloader buck in alberta

and this old warrior in saskatchewan

Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

of course 2007 was a great year also.

my son was able to hunt for the first time. he got an opportunity at this buck with 12 inch G2s, and a drop tine and made it count. it was a moment i had been anxiously awaiting since the day he was born. for all the great things that happened that year, this was easily the highlight for me.

gary got his first real good buck. he had taken a buck in the mid fifties, but this was his first to break 160.

for myself, there was a 6 day stretch where i could do no wrong. on wednesday i got my best mule.

on friday i ran into a beauty of a whitetail.

and on monday in saskatchewan, i found this.

i also have to throw out an honorable mention to the year 2000. it was the year i took my first big whitetaila t 176. i shot another in saskatchewan thta year, also scoring 176.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:14 PM

Default Moose hunt 2001

I'm still having a hard time topping my first trip with Andrew lake lodge..... Back in 2001 just after the 911 attack, we were boooked to hunt with Andrew lake lodge on a drop camp hunt..... We eneded up being able to make use of some of the cabins Andrew lake has, as alot of their guided hunts got cancelled that year I believe( because of 911)....... So anyways it was hotter then usual for the week........ Fishing was unreal and as it turned out a few frosty mornings we were able to call in 2 very nice bulls....... A 53 inch and a very nice 47 inch.... We rock papered scissored to see who got to shoot first and then rotated days....... My buddy one the toss and tagged out on sept 26th on this very nice bull and it was his birthday to boot...... Called it right in as the rut was in full swing....... couple days later we managed to call in the second bull........ What an adventure.......

Nikon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andrew lake lodge 2001.jpg (62.9 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg 53 inch moose Andrew lake lodge.jpg (111.9 KB, 412 views)
Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 PM

This year was my best season... I GOT MY FIRST DEER!!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 AM

Got a nice wt buck, color phase black bear, and my antelope. I think it was 2005, maybe 2006[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-13-2011, 07:24 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 AM

best season was this year by far went to BC and got a 50' moose and a goat, then went and got my prairie bull and topped it off with my biggest typical mule so far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goat.jpg (13.1 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg moose.jpg (8.6 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg elk.jpg (10.0 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg mule.jpg (8.5 KB, 448 views)

Last edited by brandon97; 12-13-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 AM

As far as animal sizes goes, last year was likely my best year. Started with a 235 gross muley with the bow.

ended with a 178 gross whitetail with the muzzleloader.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

who mounted those cam? im not crazy about the pose on the whitetail, but the artistry on both of those mounts is fantastic. very good work whoever it was.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
who mounted those cam? im not crazy about the pose on the whitetail, but the artistry on both of those mounts is fantastic. very good work whoever it was.
They were done by Ken Duncalfe at All Seasons Wildlife Studio in Swift Current. First two heads I have had done by him.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM

I would have to say 2008.

First elk ever, and with the bow:

First Whitetail I ever rattled in, shot at about 10 yards:

My biggest mulie to date:
Old 12-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB View Post
They were done by Ken Duncalfe at All Seasons Wildlife Studio in Swift Current. First two heads I have had done by him.
i would never have guessed. i know soemone who uses him religiously and his mounts are nowhere near that good. i guess they are a bit older though....i know the guy i use has improved hugely from 15 years ago. today i think he is among the very best in this province...and thats saying something.

anyway, those two bucks really look good. id be very happy with those.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Fall 2006 - shot my first antelope, my first moose, and my first mule buck. Pretty sure my first black bear was in the spring of 2006 too.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 PM

2008 killed my dream Bull with bow..

Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 PM

Probably my first hunting season!
Was at elk camp with my dad, very close family friend a few of hjis hunting buddies. I shot my first yote, first deer, my dad got his first elk, a hunting partner got a cow elk, and very close friend got a 6x6 elk. Then In novemeber I shot my first buck!

That was hunting season of 2008. Although 2009 was quite a great season as well, dad shot a 6x6 elk and I got my first calf moose.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i would never have guessed. i know soemone who uses him religiously and his mounts are nowhere near that good. i guess they are a bit older though....i know the guy i use has improved hugely from 15 years ago. today i think he is among the very best in this province...and thats saying something.

anyway, those two bucks really look good. id be very happy with those.
He is improving. I used to use Harvey Kay in Maple Creek. His work was exceptional but turn around time was too slow.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:55 PM

I've had more than my share of wonderful hunting seasons, but this one stands out above the rest. My Father-in-Law, my son, and I all killed nice whitetail bucks within 1/2 mile of our home. Grandpa has crossed over now, but the stories and memories will live on forever.. Here you have 3 generations of hunters.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:16 AM

got this bear in early may,looks like a good haircoat on all of us.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM

Not sure if this is the best season ever but it is by far the best november our group has ever had!! It started with a couple of friends tagging out on great mulies in the south(no pictures) and was followed by our annual week during the whitetail rut when the buddys come up to my place and we spend the week sitting in fields, treestands, ground blinds and cruising the odd road looking for that buck of a life time.

We all ended up having a great year where a couple firsts were had and also a couple persoal bests

Colins first whitey

Ryans buck

Chelseys buck

My ground shrinkage buck

Braidens first buck

Group photos

Scoring night

Barbwire