Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 PM

Default Metis hunting rights within alberta

I know that this topic will probably go viral within minutes but I am actually rather curious. What is the status of Metis rights within Alberta with respect to hunting? I have been told that Metis hold the same right as status as long as they are hunting within the area around their respective settlement. If this is true, how is it governed what settlement you are from? If I am a Metis that links back to Duck Lake Sask does that mean I can not hunt in alberta under the pretense of metis status. I must state that I have always purchased tags and will continue to do so. I am just curious as to what the law is on this topic.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 PM

I belive only full status have the reffered to hunting rights in Alberta.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:06 PM

Metis may only hunt 160 kms radius from the settlement that they live in. Hunting rights do not apply to members who do not live on a settlement.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4570 View Post
Metis may only hunt 160 kms radius from the settlement that they live in. Hunting rights do not apply to members who do not live on a settlement.
So what you are saying is that a Metis who lives in alberta that is not from a settlement in Alberta nor do their ancestors come from that settlement have no hunting rights as those who have lineage in alberta? Is it me or can you see the argument that will stem from this division? Again I have no vested interest in this other then to be educated on the subject.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Seems most creditable.

But I would confirm with your agreement?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga07 View Post
So what you are saying is that a Metis who lives in alberta that is not from a settlement in Alberta nor do their ancestors come from that settlement have no hunting rights as those who have lineage in alberta? Is it me or can you see the argument that will stem from this division? Again I have no vested interest in this other then to be educated on the subject.
http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...ibilities.aspx I also work with a few metis guys who cant hunt because their parents dont own ancestral land or dont live on a settlement so cannot partake in those hunting rights.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 PM

Thanks Dan....knew there was an answer out there.....and it came without the thread going sideways
Old 10-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaga07 View Post
I know that this topic will probably go viral within minutes but I am actually rather curious. What is the status of Metis rights within Alberta with respect to hunting? I have been told that Metis hold the same right as status as long as they are hunting within the area around their respective settlement. If this is true, how is it governed what settlement you are from? If I am a Metis that links back to Duck Lake Sask does that mean I can not hunt in alberta under the pretense of metis status. I must state that I have always purchased tags and will continue to do so. I am just curious as to what the law is on this topic.
I commend you on purchasing tags and contributing to game management in Alberta.

This seems like the place to ask if "full status" mean anyone with a treaty card? and is there any type of means test for qualification as there is for other subsistence hunters?
Old 10-21-2014, 11:39 AM

I don't know about Alberta but in Sask here there are two court cases currently and the outcome of them will determine what our hunting and fishing rights will be. If they lose no Métis hunting and fishing rights if they win then it will be anywhere in Sask on Crown land or by land owners consent. I hope they win. Trial is to be set in Nov. if they do win then maybe it will help the rest of Canada get on board. Might have guessed but I'm Metis and one of the court cases is a family member.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM

Interesting.

I was honestly under the assumption that Metis had the same rights as full status.

I learned some thing today.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 PM

Alberta's Metis harvest rules stem from the supreme court case R VS Powley where a Metis person claiming subsistence hunting right must meet the Powley test. Have a look at this link:
http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ub...wley-case.html
Old 10-21-2014, 06:09 PM

Wasn't there just a Supreme Court decision saying all the Métis come under the Indian Act. Now aren't they all Indians with all equal rights?
Old 10-21-2014, 06:17 PM

You must be a Member of a Metis Settlement. Being a member like i stated before means (Living on a Settlement or Owning Ancestral Land within Alberta,You also need proof of blood ties to an original metis family dating back to 1800's,Hunting rights do not apply to other metis from other provinces). Im open to correction. So someone correct me if im wrong.
but ive had this discussion in depth with Metis co-workers.

Last edited by Dan4570; 10-21-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Dan is 100% correct. My wife is Metis and she's looked into it and found that it's restricted to radius about ancestral settlement. Her granny hails from Manitoba so no rights here in Alberta.

You'll come across some Metis organization websites that indicate otherwise, but basically they're trying to push their agenda and publishing wishful thinking.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit snarer View Post
i commend you on purchasing tags and contributing to game management in alberta.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckwa View Post
I don't know about Alberta but in Sask here there are two court cases currently and the outcome of them will determine what our hunting and fishing rights will be. If they lose no Métis hunting and fishing rights if they win then it will be anywhere in Sask on Crown land or by land owners consent. I hope they win. Trial is to be set in Nov. if they do win then maybe it will help the rest of Canada get on board. Might have guessed but I'm Metis and one of the court cases is a family member.
And I don't
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You must be a Member of a Metis Settlement. Being a member like i stated before means (Living on a Settlement or Owning Ancestral Land within Alberta,You also need proof of blood ties to an original metis family dating back to 1800's,Hunting rights do not apply to other metis from other provinces). Im open to correction. So someone correct me if im wrong.
but ive had this discussion in depth with Metis co-workers.
No you don't, you can hunt within 160 km radius of your recognized metis community once you send in all your paperwork and srd approves it, once your approved you can hunt like a treaty but you have to be in your area
Old 10-21-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
And I don't
Oui Oui I agree.!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
No you don't, you can hunt within 160 km radius of your recognized metis community once you send in all your paperwork and srd approves it, once your approved you can hunt like a treaty but you have to be in your area
Exactly what I was trying to say with the proof of bloodline to become a status member. More than half of metis who identify themselves as metis still dont have metis membership status. Disqualifying them of hunting rights.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I was trying to say with the proof of bloodline to become a status member. More than half of metis who identify themselves as metis still dont have metis membership status. Disqualifying them of hunting rights.
Just because you are a member of the mna doesn't automatically mean you have hunting rights
Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 PM

The MNA's harvesting policy differs slightly. Lol

http://www.albertametis.com/getdoc/3...-19,-2007.aspx

Metis can harvest on all crown lands. I have witnessed first hand that metis do not need to reside on settlement. My buddy got stopped by F&W on way home to Sherwood Park from up north. He provided his membership card and location of harvest and after they took his information he was sent on his way, never to hear from them again.

Last edited by Scouter; 10-21-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 AM

What is the legal definition of a Metis?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
The MNA's harvesting policy differs slightly. Lol

http://www.albertametis.com/getdoc/3...-19,-2007.aspx

Metis can harvest on all crown lands. I have witnessed first hand that metis do not need to reside on settlement. My buddy got stopped by F&W on way home to Sherwood Park from up north. He provided his membership card and location of harvest and after they took his information he was sent on his way, never to hear from them again.
I don’t have the answer, but a link that works describes how it works in Alberta.

Post number 6.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife...ibilities.aspx

Post number 11 describes requirement.

http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ub...wley-case.html

The link you provided is restricted so I am not allowed to view it.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckwa View Post
I sure hope they don't win. It's prejudice, my family has been in Canada for along time also, where's my specail privileges above new comers ? Should all who came before demand a piece of the pie so there are just a few scraps left for the rest of the resident hunters.
Sustainence hunting today with $120 tanks of fuel is anything but....
Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
I sure hope they don't win. It's prejudice, my family has been in Canada for along time also, where's my specail privileges above new comers ? Should all who came before demand a piece of the pie so there are just a few scraps left for the rest of the resident hunters.
Sustainence hunting today with $120 tanks of fuel is anything but....

$120 is well worth a freezer full of moose.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 AM

Yeah they were fine with the 160km deal until all game and fur was wiped out do to no management , i live near by a couple settlements lots of critters taken with lights, they say thats legal too
Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog hunter View Post
Yeah they were fine with the 160km deal until all game and fur was wiped out do to no management , i live near by a couple settlements lots of critters taken with lights, they say thats legal too
I cant speak for metis settlements,because I dont hunt near any of them. But I quite often hunt near a Native reserve,and the WMU it is located has the most deer ive seen in Alberta in all my hunting travels.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I cant speak for metis settlements,because I dont hunt near any of them. But I quite often hunt near a Native reserve,and the WMU it is located has the most deer ive seen in Alberta in all my hunting travels.
Dont give out the secret, lol but i am not surprised by youre observation,most cree i know will not touch a piece of deer meat and a lot of Metis o know love trophy bucks just like me
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM

To allow metis hunting rights would open a whole can of worms as im sure it wouldn't take long for anyone in this province/country to track there heritage back to a native ancestor in some way. Europeans have been in Canada for over 200 years im sure somewhere along the line a few euros bumped nasty's with natives!
I have ansestors on both sides of my family.....I look a white as anyone but my pathetic beard makes it undeniable lol.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
$120 is well worth a freezer full of moose.
Yes cause the buck stops there......