Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 10:43 PM

Default elk on the ridge

So my dad and i got permission to hunt elk on the Knight Ranch and went out hunting today but had no luck. Anyone know where the herd might be at on the ranch right now? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as the season for my dads tag ends on the 24th.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:00 PM

the real question is how you got permission to hunt on the ranch....im assuming your connected well in the church.....
Old 10-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENWORTH View Post
the real question is how you got permission to hunt on the ranch....im assuming your connected well in the church.....

^^ hahaha!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM

hahahaha.....went out one day, wants to know where the heard is...permission to the best hunting grounds down here.....and cannot find them...this post has to be a gag, to fire my blood before deer season hits....lol!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Anyone with a elk tag in 108 can get permission to hunt the knight ranch.
They have gave permission since the draw was created.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:42 PM

All I'm looking for is someone who might know where the elk are on the ranch
Old 10-22-2014, 02:01 PM

bighorn180,.....you right, after all the good church folk hunt first.....
Old 10-22-2014, 02:28 PM

Not very hard to get permission. Simply call the ranch and fill out the forms for the days you want to hunt. Foot access only this way. Or you can pay $100 which gets donated to the Alberta Fish and Game association and one of their volunteers will come and drive you around on the ranch roads, they usually have a good idea of where the herd is and will assist in recovery of the animal. Hunted the ranch with a buddy this september and took a nice bull. Well worth the 100 bucks if you ask me. And no not members of the church.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
hahahaha.....went out one day, wants to know where the heard is...permission to the best hunting grounds down here.....and cannot find them...this post has to be a gag, to fire my blood before deer season hits....lol!!!
Tough crowd,

Freightliner - I hope you come to me seeking advise some day! I really enjoy telling you....
Old 10-22-2014, 03:10 PM

Did bother talking to any of the ranch hands? Curious why you would wait til last week of season to hunt them. Odds are they will be in bunches. The ranch is big. Look way south on ranch
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skshunter19 View Post
So my dad and i got permission to hunt elk on the Knight Ranch and went out hunting today but had no luck. Anyone know where the herd might be at on the ranch right now? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as the season for my dads tag ends on the 24th.
Sorry bud, no info.

But I really wish I had some. If nothing else to show that "nice" guy where to go!!

Should'a bought a Pete...
Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 PM

really,...........they allow deer hunters yet?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM

No hunting anything other than elk
Old 10-22-2014, 03:43 PM

cssmith,....lay it on me, what are you going to tell me about what happens out there....illegal hunting by Americans, guys shooting locks off,. People cutting fences,people shooting animals and leaving them....people with zero respect on the farm with their quads?.....seen it all man....I live not far from it, and the people that actually hunt....like they see in may...scouting.....get told no....because we don't go to church.

im all ears.....you have my attention, lay it on me.....
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
No hunting anything other than elk
That's what eats me alive about these landowners. Who are they to say what you can hunt? Just because they own the land? Tell them to shove there land up there ass and hopefully the elk thrive and take over.

Why cant you hunt deer? For there own selves to hunt?

That is the number one problem with alberta not enough government enforcement on hunting.

If I ask permission for hunting on a property and they tell me I can only hunt....one species? I simply turn around and say have a nice day but I'm really thinking something else.

What a joke
Old 10-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Use google maps and check out the area there are a few big lakes up there and the elk stay in those areas from what i have heard.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY66 View Post
If I ask permission for hunting on a property and they tell me I can only hunt....one species? I simply turn around and say have a nice day but I'm really thinking something else.

What a joke
That's too bad. I just say thank you, and then hunt that one species. I'm grateful anytime a land owner lets me on their land. And I've also built relationships with them such that access to more land and species has "magically" been offered over the years. You should try it. One landowner who had, years ago, been very frosty and not given me any access for a few season this year sent me an email saying he was looking forward to seeing me again this hunting season and gave me an update on what he was seeing so far.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That's too bad. I just say thank you, and then hunt that one species. I'm grateful anytime a land owner lets me on their land. And I've also built relationships with them such that access to more land and species has "magically" been offered over the years. You should try it. One landowner who had, years ago, been very frosty and not given me any access for a few season this year sent me an email saying he was looking forward to seeing me again this hunting season and gave me an update on what he was seeing so far.
I've tried it before then get asked why I am looking at a deer in my binoculars and that its "the one they are after". I am not trying to sound selfish at all but if I was a land owner that had a huge ranch with an abundance of wildlife I wouldn't regulate what you CAN or CANNOT hunt on my property. As long as if they played by the rules that I had in place and the regulations that the government had; I'd wish them good day and be safe.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
really,...........they allow deer hunters yet?
No deer hunting allowed ,elk is all so far . No different than land owners that don't let a person to hunt birds , does , whatever . It's there land , their business , hunters are fortunate to gain access .
Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 PM

this " privet land "... is owned by a church,...NOT an individual......and if it was in the usa,...it would be a paid hunting gig....and that is what they support, to generate revenue for the farm, like they need the money.....pls keep that in mind... they are waiting for it....

I must apologize to the OP, I feel I have de-railed your post horribly....but this strikes a nerve almost instantly for me.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
bighorn180,.....you right, after all the good church folk hunt first.....
This is untrue and actually quite offensive. I am an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ if Latter Day Saints. I pay a full tithing and fast offering. I have also been on the payroll of Deseret Ranches. I know most of the guys out there very well. I have had close relatives that have managed the Knight. I also know what that ranch does for so many people around the globe. I have never been granted access or been shown preferential treatment over anyone else and no of no one else that has. If someone has been given that preferential treatment it has nothing to do with Church policy of any kind.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 10-22-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM

Thanks for sharing

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEDHEAD View Post
Not very hard to get permission. Simply call the ranch and fill out the forms for the days you want to hunt. Foot access only this way. Or you can pay $100 which gets donated to the Alberta Fish and Game association and one of their volunteers will come and drive you around on the ranch roads, they usually have a good idea of where the herd is and will assist in recovery of the animal. Hunted the ranch with a buddy this september and took a nice bull. Well worth the 100 bucks if you ask me. And no not members of the church.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 PM

If you want Kenworth . . . . I'll take the liberty to lay it on you . . . . . when an individual shows up to my door and is seeking permission to hunt I can usually get a good feel about their demeanour. I then make a judgement to allow access or not. I like to hunt myself, but sometimes it is just as fun watching somebody enjoy themselves as they try to pursue game. If an individual showed up that had a chippy, sarcastic, attitude like yours, I would probably sense that and would send you on your way. I agree that the politics on what does and does not happen on ranches like this is sometimes questionable, however, its their business . . . . accept it.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
cssmith,....lay it on me, what are you going to tell me about what happens out there....illegal hunting by Americans, guys shooting locks off,. People cutting fences,people shooting animals and leaving them....people with zero respect on the farm with their quads?.....seen it all man....I live not far from it, and the people that actually hunt....like they see in may...scouting.....get told no....because we don't go to church.

im all ears.....you have my attention, lay it on me.....
Sorry Kenwood...I just cant understand how your dislike for this specific church and actions of others made you attack this guy for asking an honest question.

If you think your the first outsider to be adversely affected by the actions of ones with a devout faith you should maybe use the Internet to further your studies on the subject.

The fact is, this guy asked a fair question and you used your opinion on the area and people to label this guy...not cool.

Your opinions are valid and I encourage you to voice them. If in fact they're factual, they need to be aired. But not at the expense of a guy posting honest question.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:48 PM

It is pleasant to hear some insightful wisdom vs youthful angst. I spent some time cycling in Europe cycling this summer and talked with local hunters in Austria who display fork horn racks like they were the Jordan buck. Be thankful for the vast opportunities we have, instead of dwelling on a few sections of frustration.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:53 PM

I worked on part of the ranch damn near all Aug and september, Oilfield, been in the McIntyre too. As far as I can say about limited access, good on them. Some of the only untouched lands in AB that has never scene the plow, made me feel Guilty for driving the control rd or being on the cleared lease. Never scene so much wildlife, didn't think it existed anymore…..id do the same if I owned it. Horse or foot only. As for who owns it? who cares? The K ranch are some of the nicest people you will meet, no need to bring up religion. Glad they are doing what they are, or the good Hutterite brethren would have plower it under long ago.
The Elk, as of 18:00, are on the south eastern end of the ranch, near Del Bonita, SE of Shanks lake, not to say they can't move 10-20km overnight though. They like to hang out along the Milk River, too bad the river is so low or you could canoe it and hunt the high water mark without permission.
Good luck and keep at it, there are some really nice bulls, just about started throwing my ammo at them by hand wishing I had a tag, but thats how it usually goes, no tag? see them every day. Finally get a tag and see nothing for weeks lol. Horses would help out a lot on the KR.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 PM

believe what ever ya like guys about my opinion of what is going on out there,...i honestly don't care.....but it's happening, I've seen it, as have countless others.....they cannot tell me or them any different...

as to the op, again the derailment is my fault...i apologize.

and jsmith78 is it?....your gonna run outta " k " words soon...lol.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good info in regards to access thanks .

Your thread could be valuable for people who respect.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
believe what ever ya like guys about my opinion of what is going on out there,...i honestly don't care.....but it's happening, I've seen it, as have countless others.....they cannot tell me or them any different...

I've scene it too, many times, including work, as with any large corporation, everyone seems to think they are king and make their own rules, without authority. And make no mistake, The Church of Jesus christ of latter day saints is a huge corporation. Not one without blood on their hands either, but the people who believe and practice it now days, are for the most part, good people.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:

All comes down to the fact that if you want to play on their land then you gotta play by their rules , simple as that . No need to get bitter or ugly about it . Those of you hunting on it are fortunate to do so , as sikwhiskey says , it is truly some of the last untouched lands left here in the south that remains undisturbed by the plow .. Let's hope it stays that way .