Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Default Tips Please.......Trying to Shoot with Glasses

Like the title says......im trying for the 1st time to shoot while wearing Prescription Glasses which unfortunately are also progressives. What i have noticed is that im extremely uncomfortable while in full draw, my groups to 30 yds are tight but thats shooting at a target, groups at 40 are ok still but not where i want to be. Previously i used a clarifier peep but that cost me a large WT last year when i drew my bow and then realized the peep filled with snow. Anyone have suggestions please its getting to be a real pain !!!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 02:35 PM

I shoot with progressives
You'll get used to it is all I can say.
I dont wear contacts
Old 08-29-2015, 04:41 PM

I also shoot with progressives without problems but I suggest that you try to look through the part of the lens that provides the most clarity.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Banned

Iv'e been lucky in life in that I have never needed to wear glasses, so I can't give any 1st hand advise. I imagine that you would have had your eyes corrected by lazer surgery if you could afford it, but just in case, perhaps price it out.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:06 PM

I have progressives too never worn contacts When I shoot with them on sometimes its fine but often I either get the pins doubling up or the nose bridge getting in periphery vision and bugging me. I take my glasses off when shooting.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:57 PM

Get some single vision glasses for shooting. I have progressives too but can't stand them for shooting.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:32 PM

If you can, go see Dr. Barry Nolt, The Shooter's Optometrist, in Edmonton. Told me to bring my bow into his office and he set me up with yellow tinted glasses for shooting. Really helped. He shoots sporting clay, trap and archery and gives an awesome eye exam. His advertisement with info is at top of hunting page on forum.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM

You could try a NO Peep. Sure helped me. Might be a little late for this season but they are not hard to get on to. Gets rid of the peep altogether and improves low light shooting.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosesqaw View Post
You could try a NO Peep. Sure helped me. Might be a little late for this season but they are not hard to get on to. Gets rid of the peep altogether and improves low light shooting.
Actually this is what im leaning towards i was going to try using a kisser on the string to try and accomplish this......any suggestions to make the transition ??
Old 09-05-2015, 10:36 PM

The product that I am taking about is called a NO PEEP. I bought mine from Swamp Donkey outdoors. It attaches to the riser of your bow. Go on line and google NO PEEP for a better explanation of the product.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM

Make the transition to instinctive shooting. It may take time, but well worth it in the long run.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:45 PM

Only practice will allow you to find the sweet spot in your lens for seeing through the peep clear
Old 09-14-2015, 06:11 PM

Might try lowering your peep so you can tilt your head down a bit and be sure you are looking through the top half of your glasses. You could also lower your anchor, but that is usually harder to get used to.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM

Used to have Glasses..used contacts...lots of them in bush...got mad and had Lazak surgery in the early 90's...took longer to fill out paper work than do the surgery...still can read the date on a dime at 50 yards....lol

Arms are getting to short lately for reading ...but thats called getting wise they tell me...lol

Have a lot of shooters and myself using just loop and kisser...some are my top shooters...

It works well for the guys with progressive glasses also..expressly in low light
Neil
Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 PM

So after careful consideration of making the transition to shooting with no peep i order my new Bow in from LOST. After talking to him several times about what i was looking for and how i hunt and my expectations from my gear, i went with a Mamba 7. I asked Neil to set it up exactly to how he would set his own bow and sure enough it showed up with a kisser and boy am i happy with how easy it was to get used to NO PEEP! I shot 10 yds to start and with a quick sight adjustment moved back to 20 and bam 5 arrows really tight together!! Thanks for all the advice, no peep will ever touch another of my Bows and thanks to Neil for taking the time to help me out.....he helped me out several times and that was with not expecting me to order from him since i have access to a other shop that sells apa......that goes a long way with me and all the time he spent helping me and others on this site with no expectations.....well that kinda tells you the kind of guy he is !!!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
So after careful consideration of making the transition to shooting with no peep i order my new Bow in from LOST. After talking to him several times about what i was looking for and how i hunt and my expectations from my gear, i went with a Mamba 7. I asked Neil to set it up exactly to how he would set his own bow and sure enough it showed up with a kisser and boy am i happy with how easy it was to get used to NO PEEP! I shot 10 yds to start and with a quick sight adjustment moved back to 20 and bam 5 arrows really tight together!! Thanks for all the advice, no peep will ever touch another of my Bows and thanks to Neil for taking the time to help me out.....he helped me out several times and that was with not expecting me to order from him since i have access to a other shop that sells apa......that goes a long way with me and all the time he spent helping me and others on this site with no expectations.....well that kinda tells you the kind of guy he is !!!

Thanks Kindly for the kind words SCHOOCH...

Glad it worked out...it works for more shooters than most would think...9 out of ten can shoot as well and some better without a peep...USA Propaganda states you have to have a peep to shoot a bow...not true!

However one or more in ten will have to use peepdue to sight issues, such as fighting dominant eyes...

Good job shoot well Sir

Neil