Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Default what to do in the situation

so i am new to bow hunting and hunting in general, i was sitting on monday night and a doe with her fawn walked up to me within range, about 30 yards, she didnt know i was there at all and i coulda shot but i didnt because the fawn was with her, now im thinking maybe i should've shot but im not sure. im looking for some opinions on this because im assuming if im sitting the same spot i will encounter the duo again
thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM

This one's entirely your call. I generally try to take yearlings since they're dry but the fawns are pretty much weaned now and will survive with little problem. Also, fawns are very tasty, just not a lot there to share.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-M View Post
so i am new to bow hunting and hunting in general, i was sitting on monday night and a doe with her fawn walked up to me within range, about 30 yards, she didnt know i was there at all and i coulda shot but i didnt because the fawn was with her, now im thinking maybe i should've shot but im not sure. im looking for some opinions on this because im assuming if im sitting the same spot i will encounter the duo again
thanks
If you want some good eating take the Fawn, it will not be much meat but it will be the best eating you have had. If not take the Doe if she presents the shot if you are happy with it. Some guys do not shoot does with fawns some do whatever you do it is up to you. some people will complain if you shoot does. But good Herd management also comes from harvesting does.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:30 PM

The fawns are old enough to fend for themselves. That's one reason they set up hunting season around this time. I also resisted shooting a doe with a fawn just because she was the first deer I'd seen all season. Another reason I personally don't shoot does with fawns (or cows with calves) quite often is because in the past I've had the fawn or calf not run off. They have sat there and watched their mother die. It's just something I personally don't enjoy watching.
Like I said, I personally don't do it quite often just because. I don't find it to be wrong at all.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-M View Post
thanks
Sounds to me like you all ready made up your mind,do what ever you feel like at the time. both are ok (and legal )to shoot. and don t let others judge you. its hunting and you don't have to all ways come home with game to have a good time. sounds like you had a great experience.
That said my first two deer were button bucks with my bow. I thought it awesome ,then i killed a big muley buck and i have only killed big buck's(in my opinion )since. because thats whats makes me feel good. Plus it means i will get to hunt more and be where i want to be. why else do we hunt?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
Sounds to me like you all ready made up your mind,do what ever you feel like at the time. both are ok (and legal )to shoot. and don t let others judge you. its hunting and you don't have to all ways come home with game to have a good time.
Summed up nicely