Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Windfall Creek Report

Hey Everyone,

Just thought I'd post a little update, as well as a few things I have learned as of yesterday.

I headed out to Windfall Creek yesterday, south of the confluence with the Athabasca. I managed three little grayling (~6 inches), and I can finally cross them off my species list. They taste absolutely delicious! (Kidding )

The weather was hot, about 27*C, and the water was very clear, and tea coloured. I could see bottom to about 4 feet, wearing polarized glasses. I followed a lease road until I was reasonably close, and then hoofed it the rest of the way to the creek. There didn't appear to be any hatches going on from what I could tell (I'm really inexperienced, though...), but the grayling were still hungry, and I probably had 40+ rises to my hook (See point #3).

I walked exactly 5km, according to my gps, and this is where the learning comes into play...
1. Bush-whacking in neoprene waders is no joke.
2. 3 Litres of water is no where near enough to match point #1
3. When in doubt, use a smaller hook
4. Careful when you're walking on river banks... I fell through into a waist deep hole... Could have ended much worse for me.

One day, I will make it to the confluence... I intended on getting there, but I was getting low on water, and I still had a ways to go, so I thought it best to fish my way back to the truck.

Cheers!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 AM

Glad you enjoyed the windfall i fish there alot ive been to the confluence a couple times its not that great of spot for the hike in, ive caught big whites there in the fall tho, there is alot of access points on the windfall from the headwaters nearly all the way to the athab but not quite still gotta hike about 5k, i dont worry about hatches on the windfall i almost always use a big stimulator , those little grayling have ashort window to fees eachyear and they cant affors to let a big ol stonefly float past they usually race eachother to the fly sometimes jumpimg right out of the water. Hit me up if your curios about other streams in the area always willing to give helpimg hand
Old 07-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Used to be full of atha bees but got slaughter in the 70's and early 80's
Old 07-20-2017, 03:02 PM

When nothing is hatching you have to create one, make it rain with stimulators hahah

You should consider wet wading when its super hot out. Pair of old shorts, thick socks, and an old pair of hikers with good soles will do just fine. Waders are overrated, unless its fall or spring time.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
When nothing is hatching you have to create one, make it rain with stimulators hahah

You should consider wet wading when its super hot out. Pair of old shorts, thick socks, and an old pair of hikers with good soles will do just fine. Waders are overrated, unless its fall or spring time.
Amen!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Used to be full of atha bees but got slaughter in the 70's and early 80's
There coming back slowly i think they mostly stick to the headwaters but low water will bring em down
Old 07-20-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post

I think you're on to something there... My skivvies and socks were absolutely soaked to the point I thought my waders were leaking... I could have wrung the sweat out of em...

Next time I'll be wearing old boots and shorts for sure.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:20 PM

^
I recommend the Columbia Drainmakers.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:55 PM

I had a good trip there a couple years ago. I saw some cougar tracks on the river bank and the next hunting season I had a minor run in with another north west of there.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I had a good trip there a couple years ago. I saw some cougar tracks on the river bank and the next hunting season I had a minor run in with another north west of there.
I was actually quite surprised... All I saw in the mud and sand was deer, fawn, moose, and maybe one set of wolf tracks... I somewhat expected to see some bear tracks, but not seeing any was nice for my peace of mind lol.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

Thanks for sharing