Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM

I think I may try to make this a big deal for her and try and get a lot of pics and maybe see if we can get it in the AO magazine if they are interested in that. Not sure how to put it all together but I think she would think that would be real neat to show her friends and I think it is a real good way to get kids interested in hunting as well.

She shoots a 7mm08. I am hesitant about that right now. My buddy has a
338 06 he is willing to lend me and I think we might just give that a go. I might get the partner tag with her as well if I can just in case i need to step in and help in case there is an oops on a bad shot but from the way she shoots on the last 2 critters she has killed I think she can do it no prob if we can get 150 yards or less.
I will have a bipod for her as usual and if she has some time to shoot and isn't rushed she seems to do o.k.
That 338 06 should kick less than my 300 win mag so I think that is what I should do but I am open for options as well if any others have some ideas?

I just don't think the 7mm 08 is the best bet. What are your thoughts on that guys?
Old 07-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well my 12 year old 60 pound daughter is going to try and kill a 2000 lb beast. Any pointers or contacts would be great guys. I'm more excited to take her on this hunt than I am on my sheep hunt. Hope it goes well.
Wow... I wish I will one day see that! Congrats
Old 07-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I think I may try to make this a big deal for her and try and get a lot of pics and maybe see if we can get it in the AO magazine if they are interested in that. Not sure how to put it all together but I think she would think that would be real neat to show her friends and I think it is a real good way to get kids interested in hunting as well.

338 06 he is willing to lend me and I think we might just give that a go. I might get the partner tag with her as well if I can just in case i need to step in and help in case there is an oops on a bad shot but from the way she shoots on the last 2 critters she has killed I think she can do it no prob if we can get 150 yards or less.
I will have a bipod for her as usual and if she has some time to shoot and isn't rushed she seems to do o.k.
That 338 06 should kick less than my 300 win mag so I think that is what I should do but I am open for options as well if any others have some ideas?

I just don't think the 7mm 08 is the best bet. What are your thoughts on that guys?
I would say take her to the range and have her practice emptying the magazine, if you go with the 7mm-08. Also with them being in a herd have to be ready if they storm off in a group and a follow up can be tough.

LC
Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:

I watched a guy shoot the number 2 Alberta record with a .338 win mag at 50 yards. He shot it three times behind the shoulder. It never did get knocked down. The bull finally just layed down . He was using factory Barnes ammo.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I would look at heavier monometal bullets for her 7mm-08, and also try a Triggersticks tripod, as I find them much more stable, and much more practical in the snow than a bipod. I prefer lighter monumental bullets in most applications, but in this case trying to minimize expansion might be what you need to get the penetration required for such a large animal.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Default Bison Draw

DRAWN AGAIN!!!
I was lucky enough o get drawn the first year this tag was offered and managed to get a big bull ( scored 130" green). Now I got drawn again this year so I plan on going up in mid Jan./ Feb. when the hides are at their prime.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Default Help

Sounds like you have all the help you need already Nube, but I'd gladly share a few GPS points with you (from a few kills). Just PM me.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Get her a .30 cal, heaviest one you can find, then add even more weight to it. Are you exaggerating she's 60lbs?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneer View Post
Sounds like you have all the help you need already Nube, but I'd gladly share a few GPS points with you (from a few kills). Just PM me.
Guys have been really good at sharing info. I won't hesitate after we go either if people need some thoughts.
I'll make a thread later whether we get one or not for some reading enjoyment
Old 07-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Get her a .30 cal, heaviest one you can find, then add even more weight to it. Are you exaggerating she's 60lbs?
No I was exagerating. She weighed in yesterday at 68 pounds lol She must have gained 8 pounds this year ....
Old 07-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
No I was exagerating. She weighed in yesterday at 68 pounds lol She must have gained 8 pounds this year ....
Lol
Old 07-17-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I might even consider open sights... would hate for a young lady to wear a scar by her eye...
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM

Yup for sure. I'll figure something out for her. Might even buy a shooting pad for her shoulder with that 338 06. She can practice with the 7mm 08. She may take a thump with a bigger gun but it's not like she will shoot much I hope. I'll back her up in case something goes wrong as well but I think she can do it.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Guys have been really good at sharing info. I won't hesitate after we go either if people need some thoughts.
I'll make a thread later whether we get one or not for some reading enjoyment
That's awesome.

I remember asking for advice, I was told if I really wanted to know I could find out myself.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:22 PM

I would stay at noralta right in Zama. Stayed there 10 years ago. Liked it. Things may have changed over those 10 years though.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:31 PM

I personally think she will do just fine with her 7mm-08, use the 140gr and put it in the boiler room and the rest will be history. Shot placement is the most important thing. My wife has shot several elk/moose etc with hers and I killed a bison with my 270 1 shot. Besides your there for back up like you said. You received lots of tips already but I will give you the info I know from our hunt last year.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:35 PM

I would have her shoot her 7-08 with high quality bullets. Buffalo are big but a 7-08 will penetrate the ribs no problem.

Good on you for putting your daughter first. I have 13 year old twin girls and am beginning to realize how fast they grow up.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I would stay at noralta right in Zama. Stayed there 10 years ago. Liked it. Things may have changed over those 10 years though.
Lots has changed ! It's a ghost town in Zama now Pat
Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Lots has changed ! It's a ghost town in Zama now Pat
Probably since the price of oil tanked I'm guessing... not too big of a loss... zama was.......zama. Lol.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
DRAWN AGAIN!!!
I was lucky enough o get drawn the first year this tag was offered and managed to get a big bull ( scored 130" green). Now I got drawn again this year so I plan on going up in mid Jan./ Feb. when the hides are at their prime.
This time I am wanting to take my .375 H&H and try it out with Norma 380gr.woodleigh being that I have been invited to Africa for a Cape Buffoalo hunt next spring! Anyone know where I might buy Norma ammo? None in GP area.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
This time I am wanting to take my .375 H&H and try it out with Norma 380gr.woodleigh being that I have been invited to Africa for a Cape Buffoalo hunt next spring! Anyone know where I might buy Norma ammo? None in GP area.
Try corlanes.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:44 PM

Tried them! Only place I could find was Wolverine in Virden, MB. Do you know can you send ammo via Canada Post?
Also, Nube mentioned getting applying for a special Partner License? Does anyone know if this allows either hunter to use the tag?
Thx

Last edited by mcreg; 07-17-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Tried them! Only place I could find was Wolverine in Virden, MB. Do you know can you send ammo via Canada Post?
I'm unsure and sold my 375 dies with the gun or we could've built you some.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
DRAWN AGAIN!!!
I hate u
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Also, Nube mentioned getting applying for a special Partner License? Does anyone know if this allows either hunter to use the tag?
Thx
Same a moose...main holder must always be present for the hunt. Two hunters hunt as one.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Same a moose...main holder must always be present for the hunt. Two hunters hunt as one.

LC
Thanks, never have hunted this way and I understand that the tag holder must hunt alongside, but unclear as to whether either one can "pull-the-trigger"? I ask because that being the case I would rather take along a Partner to share the experience with. It matters none to me if I shoot another bison.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Does the partner have to be an Alberta resident?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
Does the partner have to be an Alberta resident?
Good question! According to the Draw Application, this draw is only available to Alberta residence. Only makes sense that the "Partner" must also be, but hey its the government - common sense???
Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Good question! According to the Draw Application, this draw is only available to Alberta residence. Only makes sense that the "Partner" must also be, but hey its the government - common sense???
Ya you never know. My brothers been putting in for the draw and I want to tag along in the worst way if he gets drawn one day. Actually I could care less if I'd be allowed to carry a gun ha.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
Ya you never know. My brothers been putting in for the draw and I want to tag along in the worst way if he gets drawn one day. Actually I could care less if I'd be allowed to carry a gun ha.
If you don't carry a firearm, not sure how anyone could stop you or suggest you were an accompanying hunter? Camp hand / pack hand maybe? but not a hunter.