Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
So it didn't have to be used on your land, just the wmu your land is on?

I am going to ask F&W while I'm there to make sure because that's not what I was told.
At one time LO tags were good WMU wide. Then it changed to be your land only, or at least that is the way I read the regulations. If you find out it is good WMU wide, or not, please post that info.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
At one time LO tags were good WMU wide. Then it changed to be your land only, or at least that is the way I read the regulations. If you find out it is good WMU wide, or not, please post that info.
I certainly will.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I'm in.....

Dad...
OK son. When can you start
Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 AM
Banned

It's only good for your deeded land in the WMU you applied for and the draw season you applied for.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
So it didn't have to be used on your land, just the wmu your land is on?

I am going to ask F&W while I'm there to make sure because that's not what I was told.
It's does have to be used on your land...but your land could potentially be different parcels in the same WMU.

BUT don't kid yourself, many with LO tags do use them throughout the entire WMU, their land or not.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I think it was always your land only, but many didn't/don't follow the rules as written.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 AM

Looked it up for my self. Pretty clear it is your land only.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...er+tag+Alberta

The following conditions apply to Landowner Special Licences:
1. The applicant for a Landowner Special Licence must be a resident of Alberta and must have applied for and been unsuccessful in the special licence
draw for the same licence type for which the landowner application is being made, with one exception for applicants for Landowner Antlerless Elk
Special Licences (see landowner licence types above). Applicants who were unsuccessful in either the Antlerless Elk Special licence draw or
the Antlered Elk Special Licence draw may apply for a Landowner Antlerless Elk Special Licence. The unsuccessful draw application must
have reflected, as a first choice, the same WMU or area where the landowner licence will be applied for and the application must meet the following
conditions.
2. There is a limit of one Landowner Special Licence application per Certificate of Title (or current Tax Notice). NOTE: If a person can qualify under
more than one circumstance described in items 3, 4 or 5 below, they may apply only for one of these three kinds of properties.
3. For lands that are not corporate owned, the applicant must own (have title to or have under agreement for sale by the Crown) a minimum of 1/4
section in a single parcel of 160 acres, more or less, or be an eligible person to whom the titleholder transfers this application opportunity. A title
holder may transfer this application opportunity only to an individual who is directly involved in farming the land. This person might be a family
member or employee of the person who farms the land, provided, in all cases, that the individual is directly involved in the day-to-day farming
operations on the land.
4. In the case of land held under title by a business corporation of the above size category, the applicant may be a shareholder of the business. Similar
to item 3 above, an individual who is directly involved in farming this land may apply if the application opportunity has been transferred to them by
a person who is authorized to do so by the corporation.
5. In the case of joint land titles, only one of the joint title holders may submit an application for a Landowner Special Licence under a Certificate of
Title (or current Tax Notice). However, if additional joint titles exist, each individual, if eligible, may apply under separate joint titles. The same
rules apply to transferees as noted above.
6. Availability of Landowner Special Licences may be limited or may not be available at all for some species in certain WMUs. Those available will
be issued to eligible persons on a first-come, first-served basis.
7. The land identified in “3” above must be contained within the WMU or area identified as the first choice on the unsuccessful application for the
special licence draw. The licence will be valid for the season dates associated with this first choice and on all lands owned by the titleholder and
lying in the applicable WMU or area.

8. A person may not obtain more than one of the above six landowner special licences per year.
9. Draw priorities are not affected by the acquisition of a Landowner Special Licence.
10. Remember, you may not possess both an Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence and a Mule Deer Licence, more than one elk licence (except WMU
212 Antlerless Elk Archery Licence and WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Special Licence), or more than four of the deer, elk and moose licences indicated
in the Resident Licences and Combinations table (pages 49 to 52).
Application Procedure:
1. You must complete an application form in person at a Fish and Wildlife office beginning August 10, 2017.
2. You must present either the Certificate of Title or a current Tax Notice for the land in the WMU where you wish the Landowner Special Licence to
be valid.
3. The Fish and Wildlife office will confirm your eligibility and first choice WMU/Season code.
4. If an applicant is using an opportunity transferred from the title holder (an individual or corporate title holder), the applicant must submit a letter
from the title holder (or other share holders), authorizing the application for and the use of the particular Landowner Special Licence. In all cases,
the applicant who receives the transferred opportunity must be directly involved in the day to day farming operations of the land.
5. The Fish and Wildlife Division will advise the applicant once the application has been approved. The hunter may then purchase the licence
online or from a private licence issuer by providing the issuer with the draw code for which the landowner special licence was approved and his/her
Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Yes, on your own land of course,
What LC said, but tag can be used for other quarters you own, miles apart.

TBark
Old 07-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It's does have to be used on your land...but your land could potentially be different parcels in the same WMU.

BUT don't kid yourself, many with LO tags do use them throughout the entire WMU, their land or not.

LC
BUT don't kid yourself,,, many hunters with regular tags do hunt on land they do not have permission for!!!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
BUT don't kid yourself,,, many hunters with regular tags do hunt on land they do not have permission for!!!
X2. As a landowner who occasionally gets a landowners tag I take offense to lefties comment. No wonder guys have a hard time getting permission.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Banned

Angry

Quote:

LC
Took a bit longer than usual but always a landowner slam when this topic comes up.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
X2. As a landowner who occasionally gets a landowners tag I take offense to lefties comment. No wonder guys have a hard time getting permission.

AMEN TO THAT. I an getting more and more picky every year who I give permission to. It amazes me how many people that hunt other's land have so little appreciation for the privilege.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Took a bit longer than usual but always a landowner slam when this topic comes up.
Yep. The whining has begun, as always.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
How is that a slam? Not whining at all...perhaps some are not aware of the restriction/stipulations.

It's a fact. Heck I know a lot of landowners who get ****ed at others bending the rules. Just like anything always some looking for loopholes.

I don't get offended when someone mentions a poacher because I am not one. BUT if I want to be offended by it I am sure I could throw a fit.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-17-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Yup absolutely. Sensitive today guys?

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you take offence to it? You can't tell me you don't know this goes on?

Not slamming landowners at all....not the ones that follow the rules anyhow.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 PM

Didn't read that as a slam to landowners. I believe it was interpreted wrong.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:39 PM

I feel bad for land owners having to put up with disrespectful people who feel that they are entitled to hunt where ever they please. Then there's the people who get permission and bring friends along, rut up fields or leave a mess behind and ruin it for the next guy. I only bow hunt public land and a few leases because I hate to bother people. Maybe one day I'll one day I'll own my own little piece of heaven and have people knocking at my door. I doubt it'll be a quarter section though so I'll never get land owner tags though.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Didn't read that as a slam to landowners. I believe it was interpreted wrong.
Well it certainly wasn't meant as a slam that's for sure.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure why you take offence to it? You can't tell me you don't know this goes on?

Not slamming landowners at all....not the ones that follow the rules anyhow.

LC
It just gets tiresome when people say "a lot ". What is a lot? One or two? 10000? I don't know that it is going on anymore then I know that a lot of poachers shoot bows. If you know it's happening report them. Why wouldn't you do your part and report them?

Correction. The wording wasn't a lot but many.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
It just gets tiresome when people say "a lot ". What is a lot? One or two? 10000? I don't know that it is going on anymore then I know that a lot of poachers shoot bows. If you know it's happening report them. Why wouldn't you do your part and report them?

Correction. The wording wasn't a lot but many.
How do you know I don't or haven't? One of my buddies called in his cousin for doing just that...hunting Crown Land year after year with a mule draw landowner tag.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 05:57 PM

And the slam I read is that if there weren't landowner tags then we wouldn't be able to abuse the rules so easily, despite the fact most landowners could shoot whatever they want on their own land or any near it any time of year and NEVER get caught by anyone ever. We obey the laws because we want to not because we are afraid of the fish cops.

Who do you think feeds those elk 12 months a year so you can hunt them. Even if a few landowners push the limits I think that is the LEAST of our poaching problems.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
And the slam I read is that if there weren't landowner tags then we wouldn't be able to abuse the rules so easily, despite the fact most landowners could shoot whatever they want on their own land or any near it any time of year and NEVER get caught by anyone ever. We obey the laws because we want to not because we are afraid of the fish cops.

Who do you think feeds those elk 12 months a year so you can hunt them. Even if a few landowners push the limits I think that is the LEAST of our poaching problems.
Nope...reading way to far into it and putting words in my mouth.

I was addressing directly the comment that Kurt made, which is not the way it was designed to be. It was not an all encompassing landowner slam at all.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
How do you know I don't or haven't? One of my buddies called in his cousin for doing just that...hunting Crown Land year after year with a mule draw landowner tag.

LC
I don't know if you do or don't. Sounds like your buddy does.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know if you do or don't. Sounds like your buddy does.
Next time I do I'll send you a full report

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

True.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 PM

Again...not a landowners slam at all, you guys are putting words in my mouth.

LC
Old 07-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Next time I do I'll send you a full report

LC
Do what ever you think is the the best. I just have a hard time believing many landowners are breaking the rules.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
OK son. When can you start
Well pops??

Opening mornin work for ya??

I will haul up the new girl friend.... Your gonna love her...
She eats a lot though....

Lol..
Old 07-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Well pops??

Opening mornin work for ya??

I will haul up the new girl friend.... Your gonna love her...
She eats a lot though....

Lol..
Lol. Do I have to loan you a gun, supply the shells and buy the beer?
If she eats lots she's probably a good cook so maybe ma can have a break. Opening day works fine. I'll start making a list of chores to be done. If you work hard and quick you might hav'er done by sept 17/2018

Send pics of new girlfriend so I can know how much gravel I need for the walkway. Tired of walking in the ruts of the last girlfriend that ate a lot.

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 07-17-2017 at 06:24 PM.