Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I am six months into mine , I got it after a trip to the emergency with A-fib triggered some testing, turned out my heart was showing signs of high blood pressure where testing only had me on the high side of normal.

I had wondered how will we know it’s working but I was tested 2 months in and my pressure was bang on healthy. One thing is I am using Dristan to keep my sinus’ clear I am a bit concerned about that, but all told I am sleeping better just going on the times I wake up at night and SWMBO’s opinion so it’s the cost of good sleep.

There is an adjustment period so work through it. Now if I could just learn to sleep on my back.

Could anyone share a link to how to run it on 12v 
Search your model on cpap.com and buy the 12v adapter for it. Mine came with a 12v plug, but also a socket with clamps I can hook directly to battery terminals. It also has its own on/off switch so you don't drain a battery when not in use. It was around $120.00 I think.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Banned

Been on one now for five years. I was diagnosed with a severe case and issued a prescription for one so $1000 of my machine was covered under a combination of provincial and work health care plans. I had to pay $250. I have a ResMed 9000. Made a HUGE difference in my life! Tons more energy and a great nights sleep.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:10 PM

Is there a mouth piece that will open up your airway instead of forcing air in there?
Old 07-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odsixer View Post
Is there a mouth piece that will open up your airway instead of forcing air in there?
It depends, there are a whole bunch of things that can result in sleep apnea so you have to figure out what your root cause is. I was initially treated for standard Obstructive Sleep Apnea as I look like someone who should have this issue but it never really worked very well. A few years on my cousin started therapy, he's the same height as me but wouldn't hit 160 with his pockets full of rocks. Talking with our parents it became clear there's something that runs in the family, his dad and our grandfather definitely have similar issues. I'm pretty sure my father did as well so I'm getting it from both sides. When I tried tweaking my setup to mirror the therapy he was using I had way better results. I've also got a friend that sorted his problems with surgery on the soft palette too though so there's lots of options.

I would never give up my CPAP. I went from a tested AHI of 59 to an average of 2 over the last year. There's basically no way I can overstate the difference that's made in my life.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 PM

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when I had my heart attack back in March. After my rehab, I was told by my Doctor to have the test. I went to a sleep clinic in west Edmonton. I took home the stuff to try and get the two nights worth of data. Which I did.

What bothered me was the hard sell that I was given before I had even done the test. The "nurse" seemed to be more worried about "prescribing" a $3000 machine and a $250 custom made mask even before I had even done the test. I had to endure a 45 minute sales pitch before she would give me the apparatus to do the test. Then when I gave it back to them, for a month I got bothered every second day with the high pressure sales putch over the phone. This was before I went to my doctor to see the results.

When I did see my doctor, I told him about this high pressure sales pitch. He suggested I try someone else. But by this time I was so sick and tired of being bothered by this clinic, that I gave up and decided not to persue it further. To me, the attitude of this clinic's employees reminded me of the snake oil sales pitches in the old west.

It may help me...yes. My doctor thinks it will too. But I am pretty disgusted with their behavior. They seemed to not care about me at all. All they wanted was my money and to sell me the most expensive machine and mask there was.

YMMV (I hope)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when I had my heart attack back in March. After my rehab, I was told by my Doctor to have the test. I went to a sleep clinic in west Edmonton. I took home the stuff to try and get the two nights worth of data. Which I did.

What bothered me was the hard sell that I was given before I had even done the test. The "nurse" seemed to be more worried about "prescribing" a $3000 machine and a $250 custom made mask even before I had even done the test. I had to endure a 45 minute sales pitch before she would give me the apparatus to do the test. Then when I gave it back to them, for a month I got bothered every second day with the high pressure sales putch over the phone. This was before I went to my doctor to see the results.

When I did see my doctor, I told him about this high pressure sales pitch. He suggested I try someone else. But by this time I was so sick and tired of being bothered by this clinic, that I gave up and decided not to persue it further. To me, the attitude of this clinic's employees reminded me of the snake oil sales pitches in the old west.

It may help me...yes. My doctor thinks it will too. But I am pretty disgusted with their behavior. They seemed to not care about me at all. All they wanted was my money and to sell me the most expensive machine and mask there was.

YMMV (I hope)
Don't let your health suffer for the sake of a sales pitch. Get a machine!! Lack of oxygen to the heart caused by apnea is a major root cause of heart attacks!! I love my machine, I don't even take an afternoon nap without it any more.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:54 PM

6MT, I felt the same way. She was asking me how I was going to pay for it...doesn't know me from Adam, and the talk of money came out of the blue. We weren't discussing it at the time.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:24 PM

Got mine about 6 months ago. After the 3rd night using it I woke up regular time 5:30am totally refreshed. After slowly loosing a good nights sleep to sleep apnea, it was amazing to remember what a good night's sleep was.
Definitely not a scam.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Whose got 'em and uses them, how much $$, etc. etc. I was recently tested....haven't heard the results yet but am pretty sure it will be recommended (as its the only way they make any money). I can't help but feel its a scam....
I have never heard of anyone having the test and being told they don't need one? I used one quite a few years, but for all the good it might be doing, it just kept me awake.

The most improvement I had with my sleep was when I lost weight.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
6MT, I felt the same way. She was asking me how I was going to pay for it...doesn't know me from Adam, and the talk of money came out of the blue. We weren't discussing it at the time.
I must have been lucky. They met me after closing to give me a machine to use for the testing. They completely tested a used machine that I got a good deal on. Never tried to upgrade me to a newer machine or different masks. Even told me to buy the distilled water at a big box retailer as it was a lot cheaper. I was actually wondering where they made their money with the amount of time they were willing to spend with me.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:18 PM

Default CPAP BNIB For Sale

Hey guys I own one and just couldn't get over the claustrophobic feeling of something over my mouth. I lasted 15 minutes. Paid $2700 with all the bells and whistles including humidifier. Complete with several new masks. $1500.00 PM me if you are interested. Calgary area but travel the province so might be able to deliver.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:06 PM

I've had one for two years. Can't and don't sleep without it. Use it for a twenty minute nap if I could. Totally changed my life.

As with anything, sure companies push products down your throat, but I did the weekend test, and quit breathing over 100 times over a 3 night period.

Scary stuff.
Went back and consulted after they pulled the readings off the monitor, and saw how many times I quit breathing, how long, how much my blood pressure went up, heart rate etc. was unreal.

I wake up totally refreshed, sleep like a baby and love it.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Whose got 'em and uses them, how much $$, etc. etc. I was recently tested....haven't heard the results yet but am pretty sure it will be recommended (as its the only way they make any money). I can't help but feel its a scam....
I am not sure of the health conditions you are in or others but first hand experience with people that I know who relied on these had a weight issue and other bad habits.
I bet a buddy that if he dropped the weight he would throw the pills and the machine away and guess what one year later he is off the North American meds and that dam machine, feels great too, more energy, better sleep and everything else life has to offer.
Might not be the case with all but most I know it is a bandaid fix.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-20-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I've had one for two years. Can't and don't sleep without it. Use it for a twenty minute nap if I could. Totally changed my life.

As with anything, sure companies push products down your throat, but I did the weekend test, and quit breathing over 100 times over a 3 night period.

Scary stuff.
Went back and consulted after they pulled the readings off the monitor, and saw how many times I quit breathing, how long, how much my blood pressure went up, heart rate etc. was unreal.

I wake up totally refreshed, sleep like a baby and love it.
I am not saying that CPAP does not help some to breath better but for me the CPAP itself kept me awake or woke me. After two high end machines and over a half dozen masks and many appointments to check my progress, which they said was great I have suffered my last face fart

and my wife says that the fantasy of making it with Darth Vader goes away after a while
Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM

I went to their Lloydminster office for my appointment. I called them to talk about my follow-up....the phone was answered in Edmonton and I was told I couldn't call the Lloyd office. And they won't tell me the results without me going to their office.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I am not saying that CPAP does not help some to breath better but for me the CPAP itself kept me awake or woke me. After two high end machines and over a half dozen masks and many appointments to check my progress, which they said was great I have suffered my last face fart

and my wife says that the fantasy of making it with Darth Vader goes away after a while
Lol... Face fart....I never tried the Darth Vader thing....

Hmmmmm... Gotta watch that hose though..
Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I was tested in Red Deer two months ago and was told everything was normal and no action was required so, I don't believe it is a scam.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:48 PM

I have had one for 4 years now.Have not had a good night sleep yet. Resmed S9. I am a side sleeper and can't break the habit. I have tried many masks as well. I currently am using pillows. The mask wakes me up several times a night as it seems to move and creates an air leak so I wake up fix it and repeat a couple times a night. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 12-14-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
I didn't have a heart attack but the rest of the story is exactly what I was going thru. Now I sleep like a baby and the alarm actually wakes me up in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I have had one for 4 years now.Have not had a good night sleep yet. Resmed S9. I am a side sleeper and can't break the habit. I have tried many masks as well. I currently am using pillows. The mask wakes me up several times a night as it seems to move and creates an air leak so I wake up fix it and repeat a couple times a night. Anybody have any suggestions?
Consult your doc. I was diagnosed with apnea was given a loaner to test and would rip machine off in my sleep and toss it across room. Had soft palate laser surgery (which hurt like hell during recovery but went away after a few weeks slowly) started getting much better sleep and now over ten years later still sleep great.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:32 AM

when an inventor develops a mask that doesnt exhaust the air straight out the front of the mask but instead up.., will be a rich man/woman and spouses will wake up without a frozen shoulder or the influx of air blowing in ones face all through the night.
wife has had one now for about 15 yrs or more. saw an article in a paper and had the wife look into testing cause she snored uncontrolably. found she too had been stopped breathing through the night, the machine has helped her sleep immensly. just keep the tubing and mask clean to prevent bacteria and musty odours. like was said, have a long enough hose so you dont get tangled, you sure wake up when the tube comes apart. lol
Old 12-14-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
What makes you think it's a scam ???? You don't believe in sleep apnea or you don't think the technology works?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:13 AM

We have one as the misses was diagnosed with sleep apnea. tried it one night and its been sitting for the last 4 years. Will sell cheap btw.

When i sleep i sound like a D11 dozer possibly louder. I also gasp for air when i snore loudly so i am told. Still make it to the gym at 430am every morning. I dont worry about it. Sometimes the medical industry looks for problems that arent there...
Old 12-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I don't think it is a scam as I was tested in Red Deer this past summer and was told I didn't have a problem regarding sleep.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
A friend had the same problem couldn't sleep his back, his wife sewed a golf ball pocket on each side of the pajamas (or your tighty whiteys) forcing him to sleep on his back.

I've been using CPAP for almost 20 years anybody that think it doesn't work is dead wrong, I couldn't drive 50 miles without starting to close my eyes.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Get it! If you're like me you will fight it for months and then finally put up with it. I've been 1 1/2 yr now and still find it a nuisance after putting on but sleep so much better. I had oxygen levels of 75% many times per night.
Also had a father who snored horribly ( probably stopped breathing many times) and died of heart attack at age 63 in 1989 so I have him beat for now. Who knows - the machine if it was even available then it might have saved his life. It's just money - don't take this lightly. tog
Old 12-14-2017, 09:13 PM

The machine works no doubt about it, my numbers prove it. I just move to much in my sleep. I am constantly re arranging the mask. Then when I finally think I got it right, I got to go pee.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
When I was tested, results showed that I quit breathing 43 times a hour, I was having night terrors, and on occasion waking up with near blue lips, I've flipped desks, smashed glasses, and literally dived of my bed, awaking to the terrible pain in my wrists I just landed on! My CPAP machine has changed my life, since I've started using it, I haven't had one night terror, and don't require the 2 hrs naps I was taking everyday after work, it's actually got to the point were my body will not let me sleep without my CPAP. My tests were performed by the University of Alberta, at the General Hospital, in Edmonton, they do not sell CPAP machines, nor did they try to pedal one on me, if you are worried about this, seek out someone who, does just the tests, not the sales.

Last edited by morinj; 12-14-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:02 PM

Question

Quote:
I guess I don't doubt that they help people. But I'm not sure I need one ! I snore but I don't sleep fitfully, snorting, starting/stopping breathing, tossing or turning. I always wake up in the same position I went to sleep in. But I am tired.... but in no danger of falling asleep at work or at the wheel, etc. And I can't get over the prices for these gadgets. Why don't I just hook a hose to the humidifier already sitting beside my bed ?? Lol
Did you do a survey of situational awareness? Like, how often do you doze off sleeping? Do you get tired driving? Do you crater when you're trying to read a book?
Did you get tested at home or at a clinic? Just curious how you were tested, only because that can make a substantial difference in your results, and impact your diagnosis...
Old 12-14-2017, 11:39 PM

Following this thread with interest as my sleep study suggests moderate to severe sleep apnea. Lots of good info here to take in and thanks !
Old 12-15-2017, 06:57 AM

It's not a scam . It will save you're life.