Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-24-2015, 06:28 PM

Default Hunting machine??

I need some thought on opinions for my next new toy it's between a Argo and a side by side and I can't really pull the trigger on one or the other any one with any input on which machine would be better? According to Jim shockey Argos are the way to go
Old 05-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Banned

Nothing else (besides an ARGO) will float...

I think Jim Shockey knows what he's talking about.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperepeletza View Post
I need some thought on opinions for my next new toy it's between a Argo and a side by side and I can't really pull the trigger on one or the other any one with any input on which machine would be better? According to Jim shockey Argos are the way to go
Ride in one for a day. That'll make you decision easy.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Ride in one for a day. That'll make you decision easy.
Yep
(and I already know the answer)

Last edited by MountainTi; 05-24-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:30 PM

I have an older Argo and I will say just look at my repair bills and you will quickly decide lol
Old 05-24-2015, 08:38 PM

Default Need more informations!

Always needs to be asked before input/opinion is given:

WHAT DO YOU INTEND TO DO WITH EITHER MACHINE/WHAT IS YOUR OBJECTIVE - MAIN USE?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 PM

Argo's are terrible!!! Unless you have a specific area where only an Argo will work I would stay clear. Expensive and by far the worst ride on the planet of any recreational vehicle.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:40 PM

Depends on what your gona use it for. The best for hardcore bush ex yukon, muskeg, swamp, super steep argo handsdown. Having fun,rippin around, farm land, most of the bush a side by side.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:37 PM

Argo= slow and steady, go anywhere with tracks, don't expect to cover a lot of ground and the ride is ok, true work horse that floats, do the maintenance

Side by side= better ride, faster, good work horse, less monthly maintenance, way more fun factor

I love the quad for getting to A & B, fun factor and ride but cant beat dads 6 wheeler for a true brute all terrain vehicle/workhorse.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:50 AM
Banned

Argo all the way..
Old 05-25-2015, 04:15 AM

Remember when you hit a bump you hit the god dang thing 8 times
Old 05-25-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
Remember when you hit a bump you hit the god dang thing 8 times
Haha that's a good answer haha that might be the one that puts me behind a side by side .
Old 05-25-2015, 06:15 AM

See if you can do this in a side by side or quad. Were doing exploration in Northern Alberta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9atGQHJXSyo

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-25-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
See if you can do this in a side by side or quad. Were doing exploration in Northern Alberta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9atGQHJXSyo
To that point I live in central Alberta mostly need something to pull my boat into some lakes that require some off-roading . And I want to use it around the farm. I guess my question is . Is the maintenance worth It and repair bills for the extra mobility and floating ability of Argo?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
To that point I live in central Alberta mostly need something to pull my boat into some lakes that require some off-roading . And I want to use it around the farm. I guess my question is . Is the maintenance worth It and repair bills for the extra mobility and floating ability of Argo?
Like was said before .............what are your intentions. That's what counts. We only use argos when we can't get in there with a quad.

I ain't pro argo or pro quad or side by side ............just what gets the job done.

That's what counts. Think from what you said you better off with a side by side.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 05-25-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:31 AM

Any kind of blow down to go over you may as well walk. Smooth ground and muskeg you're golden. Tracks greatly improve the ride.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Any kind of blow down to go over you may as well walk. Smooth ground and muskeg you're golden. Tracks greatly improve the ride.
Nor west you mean for the side by side the blow down I might as well walk or the Argo?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Nor west you mean for the side by side the blow down I might as well walk or the Argo?
Argo. For a all around utility machine I'd go side by side. Thinking of getting one myself. Looking at a Polaris ranger 900
Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 AM
Banned

I ran an Argo every day for a 7 years up in the red earth creek country. If I never see one again I will be happy. They are rough like everyone has said but hot and extremely loud. I am 6feet tall. The cab has no leg room. It's all chain driven and the chains like to come off the sprockets a lot. In theory they are amazing, in reality they are rough, loud, and z real pain in the ass
Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icouldeatababydeer View Post
I ran an Argo every day for a 7 years up in the red earth creek country. If I never see one again I will be happy. They are rough like everyone has said but hot and extremely loud. I am 6feet tall. The cab has no leg room. It's all chain driven and the chains like to come off the sprockets a lot. In theory they are amazing, in reality they are rough, loud, and z real pain in the ass

Thanks for the info guys one more thing I'd like to ask is with the tracks on side by side would it do alright for ice fishing I never see to many on the lake am I missing a down side to them in snow?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Banned

Forgot to mention, sure they float but if you run tracks you'll have no control or steering abilities in the water.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 AM

Default Argo

LOL Lots of experts and opinions. The old machines had lots of issues anything newer say 2011 are much better. Any of the machines with the admiral transmission are much nicer to drive. Most people who have complaints just plain and simple cant drive them as they don't have the hours behind the controls. Pick the machine that will work best for you as you are the one paying for it.
PS water with tracks can be a struggle but keep in mind you can add a small electric trolling motor all the way up to a 9.9 on the back and then no issues.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGO GUY View Post
LOL Lots of experts and opinions. The old machines had lots of issues anything newer say 2011 are much better. Any of the machines with the admiral transmission are much nicer to drive. Most people who have complaints just plain and simple cant drive them as they don't have the hours behind the controls. Pick the machine that will work best for you as you are the one paying for it.
PS water with tracks can be a struggle but keep in mind you can add a small electric trolling motor all the way up to a 9.9 on the back and then no issues.
X2! Love the Argo opinions from guys that have either never been in one or who have only been in an older one.

If you need an Argo then nothing else will do. If you can get to where you need to go in a SxS then I wouldn't even consider an Argo.

I've had three Argos and just sold my last one in October. One 6x6 Bigfoot and two 8x8 Conquests. The only reason I got rid of the last one was I wanted to go back to a 6x6 and had driven one with the Admiral transmission and they are so much nicer to steer and the traction in mud or muskeg is much better. The Admiral also has one less set of chains to deal with.

I'm presently looking for a 650 HD 6x6 with the Admiral transmission and 23hp Briggs and Stratton motor. I like the 6x6 better for day trips and the Briggs comes with an auxiliary pull start if your battery dies. Anything bigger than the Briggs doesn't have a pull start.

As for going over blow downs, I'd take an Argo over anything a SxS would go over. Up north in the muskeg an Argo is the only way to go. You will still get stuck but unlike a SxS the Argo will only be high centered and a quick pull with the winch and you are going again. I use a two fluted boat anchor in the muskeg to hook onto when the is nothing else. Works great. The anchor won't work with a SxS though as they need something much stronger to hook onto once stuck.

If you are going to buy tracks the only way to go for mud and muskeg are the Adair pro swimming tracks. They have big cleats are are a self cleaning open track design. They swim in water much better than anything else that I've tried. The Escargot tracks are supposed to be good to but I haven't tried them. Argo plastic tracks suck and the rubber ones are very hard on a machine. I'd go Argo rubber tracks if I was just using the machine in snow though. Track tuners are a must with the rubber tracks IMHO. As for steering with tracks in the water, you just go forward or reverse and lean the machine to steer.

An Argo and a SxS are two totally different machines and intended for different terrains. I've pulled out way too many quads and SxS's in the last few years to even consider buying one for the places that I run. If I ran hard ground all the time then it would be a SxS for sure.

Last edited by Positrac; 05-25-2015 at 09:13 AM.